MMA & Boxing 15 - Cain Velasquez spends so much time injured he should play for Arsenal

Davrum

Gus is injured, so hus fight with Glover in Germany is off. Joanna vs Penne will now headline the card.

I think its stupid to put your Champ, and most exciting Strawweight, on a Fight Pass card when you're tyring to build that divisions fan base. The US is UFC's biggest market and very few will see the fight unless they have FP. I think it would have been better to put her on the Louisiana card that they remived DC from. It's a free card on FS1 and would allow more people to see her.

MMAJunkie reporting that Diaz failed 1 out of 3 tests on 183 fight night. Passed before the fight, failed immediately after the fight, and passed another about an hour later. THC metabolites are stored in fat and release into blood and urine when fat is burned. It looks like those were old THC metabolites and Diaz probably didn't smoke at all coming into the fight, since he passed the other 2 tests. In my opinion, he should be able to fight this and win.

MMAJunkie reporting that Diaz failed 1 out of 3 tests on 183 fight night. Passed before the fight, failed immediately after the fight, and passed another about an hour later. THC metabolites are stored in fat and release into blood and urine when fat is burned. It looks like those were old THC metabolites and Diaz probably didn't smoke at all coming into the fight, since he passed the other 2 tests. In my opinion, he should be able to fight this and win.

Yeah he should definitely win, NSAC shouldn't even be able to punish for weed metabolites in urine, it can't prove that weed was ingested "in competition". I remember reading that Diaz hired a good lawyer for this, hopefully NSAC doesn't manage to fuck him again.

Backstory on Ben Nguyen (the guy who won via TKO in the first fight on the prelims); he posted this video on the MMA subreddit 2 months ago, got a ton of positive feedback and it eventually went viral. /r/MMA tried to get him on the Adelaide card and it worked! That's why he was repping Reddit on his shorts.

edit: Damn, I knew Whittaker would be good at MW after his last fight but that was really impressive.

Miocic vs Hunt made me sick to my stomach. Maybe it's just that I'm new to watching UFC and don't know what I'm talking about but I feel the ref should have called that fight two rounds earlier than he did. Hunt was just getting beat on and barely defending himself. The fact that he was still on his feet and apparently lucid after that is insane.

Its not just you. Pretty much then entire MMA landscape believes that fight should have been stopped in the fourth, and that Hunt should not have been allowed to come out for the fifth. That was brutal to watch. For sure a bad night for any Hunt fan, which is, most MMA fans really.

It's not just the refs and the doctors at fault for stuff like this it's also the corner. If your fighter can't offer any kind of substantive offence and is just in there suffering brain trauma until the fight finally ends how the fuck can you let them out to go another round? How the fuck is watching your fighter getting helplessly beaten more of a priority than throwing in the towel? A month or two ago there was a heavyweight fight on the prelims for some card and in between rounds the fighter that was getting beaten badly said "I'm done", the response from his corner was "No, no, no. You're not done!" They made him go out for another round and I believe he got finished shortly after. That's just fucking negligent, when a fighter says they're done, it means they're fucking done! The only time I can think of recently where a fighter threw in the towel was Chris Leben and I'm pretty sure his corner were trying to convince him to get back out there but he just sat on the stool and refused. Fighters should never have to take unnecessary damage and most corners in MMA seem to be negligent as fuck.

I watched it as well.

I missed the Canelo fight but Whitaker was fast and impressive.

The Hunt vs Miocic though, wow. Completely one-sided, these fighters just aren't closely matched.

It was Hunt taking beatings from round 1, getting thrown down, smacked, Miocic just did as he pleased.

That did indeed go on for much too long.

Must have been a horrible experience for Hunt by the way. Constantly back in that ring and being thrown down when that's exactly what you don't want, and then get pounced upon 300 times.

Since people are actually talking about boxing in this thread now too, it's worth a mention that the undercard of Golovkin's big drama show tomorrow night is one Roman Gonzalez, a flyweight making his HBO debut (and his second appearance on US TV, I believe), who is considered by a lot of pundits to be the second best fighter in the world right now. Very exciting attacking boxer, and he has 36 knockouts out of 42 wins, which for a flyweight is ridiculously impressive.

Archived