Bakker XXXI: What Comes After

unJon

I guess this might count as Westeros' first teaser from me but I've refused to partake in (therefore, make happen) that episode until after the published, canonical release of TUC :).

I really would like it if other people would pioneer that episode pre-release though (I will help interested parties coordinate, record, and publish any TSACast they want).

That is the logic of the Amazon system apparently :).

Well I'd like to see more people buy his stuff. So that the travesty of not getting TSTSNBN doesn't occur. Though on his blog he said that he will never stop writing, it just may take longer to get TSTSNBN if people don't put food on his table.

I can't wait for TUC partially for the shift in discussion towards new theory. Though, the combination of stuff unearthed and proposed around these parts has been pretty mind-blowing at times.

Yeah I don't mind the retreads of topics as it allows theories that have been brought up in the past to be tightened/refined in light of other people's ideas. For example Locksnow's discussion about the gods always being around, the swazond plausibly having some actual relationship with the murdered, and so on really helped solidify how Earwa was a genuinely enchanted world.

Also HE's discussions about mathematical infiniites and the Weapon Races as AI, Kal and others' discussion about the Inchies being really stupid, Callan's Simulation Argument, and so on.

Fellas, I am doing a reread of WLW and am at the part where Proyas & Kellhus meet with the Nonman Envoy. I read a part that jumped at me as I didn't remember it from before, see below.

"The Ekkinû, the sorcerous arrays that frames the throne, writhed gold on black with the utter absence of motion"

"convinced he could feel the sinuous, symbolic twine of the Ekkinû in the air behind him"

"The preternatural eyes clicked to the Aspect-Emperor's right - to the sorcerous arras, Proyas realized"

Any thoughts on what this thing is? Its purpose?

Just a correction, it’s "The Ekkinû, the sorcerous arras that frames the throne," not arrays. I admit that I had to look up what that meant.

Nice catch, but I’m not sure what to make of it. I suppose it’s a stretch to say that the black-and-gold is a reference to the Black-and-Golden--Wutteät?

I suspect the hypnotic nature of the arras weaken men to Kellhus' influence. That, or any attempt to attack Kellhus would be met with a negating effect. Can a ward read the intent in a psyche?

Or it may simply be meant to demonstrate Kellhus' power, that he can create magical artifacts. Imagine a weaponized False Sun, searing through the Consult ranks even as the Daimos raises mountainous Ciphrang...

Something the Nonman had seen before? Since Kellhus comes from the Ancient North.

Or it may simply be meant to demonstrate Kellhus' power, that he can create magical artifacts.

That’s a good point. Do we know if any of the Three Seas Schools made any type of sorcerous artifact before Kellhus?

One thing I noticed on a reread of sorts is that the carapace of the No-God itself has Choric script (sp?) written on it, previously I only thought that there were Chorae attached to the carapace. If this second reading is correct then it implies that Shae or the Consult in general know the Aporos, right?

I have a distinct memory of some kind of magical "collar" being used to stop sorcerers from uttering magic, but I don't where or when that would have appeared.

It's on Seswatha when he is tacked up on the wall at Dagliash.

I have a distinct memory of some kind of magical "collar" being used to stop sorcerers from uttering magic, but I don't where or when that would have appeared.

The Agonic Collar? Yeah, and there's the knife and mail that Mimara finds in the Coffers, and the Chorae. But those were all made in the north. As far as I can tell the Mandate and the SS didn't make artifacts, not even weaponized ones, let alone sorcerous decorations.

The magic objects are interesting in that we know so little of how, in the Bakkerverse, they'd be created. Sorcery itself comes from language for the most part, but it's hard to envision how one uses language to make an object sorcerous.

But the world responds to language, so I guess they'd be written into a permanent status? Another question is does traveling with a magical artifact tear at the onta wherever you go?

Archived