Small questions v. 10092

Knight Of Winter

@King of Winter: I vaguely recall that Aerys was overjoyed with Viserys surviving beyond infancy and finally having an heir besides Rhaegar. He tried to keep Viserys close to him to protect him and rarely allowed Rhaella and Viserys to leave the castle. At the same time, Rhaella tried to shield Viserys from his father's madness. Apparently she was succesful in this because Viserys had no idea his father was mad and admired him. He was also close to his mother.

I know nothing about his relationship with Rhaegar. Maybe they didn't see much of each other as Rhaegar may have spent a lot of time at Dragonstone.

Does any canon source indicate what kind of relationship Viserys had with the rest of his family (Rhaegar, Rhealla and Aerys) ?

I'm mainly asking people who read AWOIAF.

No, Viserys doesn't feature much in the World Book. A few facts that might be useful:

* Viserys was born in 276 AC. When Tywin held a Tourney at Lannisport to celebrate Viserys' birth later that same year, Aerys (after much convincing), eventually decided to go, while the "guest of honour" was left at the Red Keep.

* Aerys was extremely afraid that Viserys would die, just like his brothers. He had, for example, his foodtaster suck on the breasts of the wetnurse everytime to test whether or not poison had been smeared on the nipples. Not even Rhaella was allowed to be alone with her babe. All in all, Aerys was very protective of Viserys around that time

* Rhaegar and Elia were married in early 280 AC, and moved to Dragonstone to make their home. It is unknown how often Rhaegar visited KL, but the tensions between Aerys and Rhaegar were already rather high at that point, so probably not often. Rhaenys was brought to KL when she was old enough, though, once, to be presented to the court (where Aerys refused to hold her, as she "smelled dornish"). So Viserys won't have had much time with Rhaenys, even less time with baby Aegon (who was born on Dragonstone, AMD came to KL at an unknown moment in time), and neither with Rhaegar, as Rhaegar moved away to Dragonstone when Viserys was only 4 years old.

* We know from the books that Rhaella sheltered Viserys as much as she could from Aerys, and was allowed to remain by the side of her son during the Tourney at Harrenhal, where neither were present (though there most likely will have been guards and such).

That's all I can recall on such a short notice. Aerys, afraid for Viserys' life mostly, was rather protective of him in the beginning (nothing is specified about later years, but I can imagine those feelings would sort of have remained). About Rhaella, nothing is stared I'm afraid, but it would seem she was rather involved in protecting the boy from his father's "moods". Rhaegar would have spend time with Viserys in his early years, and

there were a few moments where they could have seen each other afterwards, but as tensions between Rhaegar and Aerys were high, I don't think that the two brothers would have spend much time alone..

Maybe not a small question but. When guys as Aegon and Victarion are cut from the show , does that mean they will not be so important in the books?

No, it doesn't mean that.. The show merges characters, and every now and then, invents characters (who they embody multiple smaller characters, usually).

It could easily mean that the character arcs are simply moved up a season or so. And if it concerns a very small arc, it most likely means that the arc isn't seen as important for the show...

But the shows story differs from the books, more and more, and that should not be forgotten.. :) What happens in the show, doesn't necessarily say something about the books...

We dont know yet. He has not been cast yet , but it's still possible he will appear. Some people think that Trystane will replace Aegon.

I can't even imagine how that would work. I'm sure they'll have him eventually. In season one we all thought Blackfish was cut. In season two it was the Reeds and Ramsey. They have a habit of delaying characters introductions. Though I guess this means Tyrion won't meet him, at least yet.

I can't even imagine how that would work. I'm sure they'll have him eventually. In season one we all thought Blackfish was cut. In season two it was the Reeds and Ramsey. They have a habit of delaying characters introductions. Though I guess this means Tyrion won't meet him, at least yet.[/quote

Maybe he will appear in S6 , at least i hope so.

I figured that both Aegon and Arianne will appear newly in season 6.. Arianne because otherwise they would need to smear out her storyline over two seasons, where it would fit better in one, and Aegon as they already introduce 5 or 6 new characters in season 5 (expensive!), and will adjust his storyline slightly to fit him in season 6 (perhaps a guest role in the last episode or two in season 5?).

I figured that both Aegon and Arianne will appear newly in season 6.. Arianne because otherwise they would need to smear out her storyline over two seasons, where it would fit better in one, and Aegon as they already introduce 5 or 6 new characters in season 5 (expensive!), and will adjust his storyline slightly to fit him in season 6 (perhaps a guest role in the last episode or two in season 5?).

I think is confirmed that Arianne is out . Cause when Trystane was casted , he was introduced as Dorans heir.

I think is confirmed that Arianne is out . Cause when Trystane was casted , he was introduced as Dorans heir.

Or maybe the different Dornish inheritance rules are out? I mean they didn't think their audience could handle Osha and Asha at the same time.

Maybe not a small question but. When guys as Aegon and Victarion are cut from the show , does that mean they will not be so important in the books?

It further demonstrates that HBO GOT is glorified fan-fiction. I mean, c'mon, can you imagine Jon Snow cowering behind a tree as Others steal away with a crying baby?

As long as we get the Myrish Swamp and the Royal Teats, who cares?

We dont know if he is out , but he has not been cast yet.

I wouldn't fret much about it yet. 5th seasons covers material of Feast for Crows, while Aegon IIRC first appears some 200 or so pages inside Dance with Dragons. He'll probably end up being introduced in season 6.

Though, after apparently cutting down Arianne and Quentyn, sadly I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut from the show completely.

ETA: I seem to have had particularly big brainfart and forgotten that AFFC and ADWD happen simultaneously.

I wouldn't fret much about it yet. 5th seasons covers material of Feast for Crows, while Aegon IIRC first appears some 200 or so pages inside Dance with Dragons. He'll probably end up being introduced in season 6.

Though, after apparently cutting down Arianne and Quentyn, sadly I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut from the show completely.

S5 covers both AFFC and DWD. But i too belive he will be in S6.

Archived