Small questions v. 10092

Knight Of Winter

Do we have any idea who Robert's Maester was on the Trident who treated Ser Barry? I know it wasn't Cressen, but shouldn't it have been? He was the Maester at Storm's End.

Cressen was at Storms End which was under siege by Lord Mace Tyrell.

That siege was not lifted until Ned arrived after the Trident, after the Sack.

There were other maesters in the army, it may have been Jon Arryn's Maester.

Do we have any idea who Robert's Maester was on the Trident who treated Ser Barry? I know it wasn't Cressen, but shouldn't it have been? He was the Maester at Storm's End.

This isn't stated anywhere.. As said, Cressen belonged to Storm's End, and was still at Storm's End, so "his own maester" would have been whichever maester someone had given Robert as a personal doctor..

Do we know who exactly was Grandmaester Gerarrdys? And I can't remember where in the books (or is SSM?) was he mentioned?

edit: I mean I know that Aegon II roasted him, but in TPATQ he isn't mentioned.

The Gerardys story is quite a difficult one, and it is one we will only learn in Fire and Blood. We see Gerardys in The Rogue Prince, but Ran has admitted that this is a mistake.. Gerardys did not cut of Viserys´ fingers, that was Orwyle..

So we only know the guy lived around the time of the Dance, and was killed by Aegon II.

Edit: TPATQ was heavily edited down. A lot of more stuff happened during the Dance, that we didn't get to read about in TPATQ.

How old was domeric bolton?

It's not stated in the books, but wiki calculation page suggest that his year of birth was 279-281 AC, making him 16-18 years old at the time of his death. Their reasoning:

After spending 4 years as a page for Lady Barbrey Dustin, Domeric would spend 3 years in the Vale as a squire to Lord Redfort.[119] This shows that Domeric was fostered. Fostering usually ends at the age of 16, when the boy becomes a man grown by law.[120] When Domeric returned home, after having enjoyed spending time with Lord Redfort sons, he learned he had a bastard brother. Domeric sought out his bastard brother, and died shortly thereafter.[119] Domeric died in 297AC (see below, under "death"). If Domeric was 16 years old at the time of his death (and his death thus occured shortly after his return from the Vale), Domeric would have been born in 281AC.

Of course, it cannot be stated with certainty that Domeric died within a year of returning to the Dreadfort, which would place his return in an earlier year, and thus also his birth. It also cannt be stated with certainty that Domerics fostering ended at the age of 16. Though Domeric was said to have the makings of a tourney knight, Domeric is not mentioned to have received his knighthood prior to leaving the Vale. There are, after all, also highborns who end their time as a squire at the age of 18.[121] Should Domeric have been 18 years old when he returned to the Dreadfort, and he died shortly thereafter, his birth would have occured in 279AC

Due to the uncertainty that arises with Domeric's birth, we can thus only conclude that it is most likely that he was born roughly around or between 279AC and 281AC.

In any case, Domeric had been fostered by Lady Barbrey Dustin.[119] As Lady Barbrey has been Barbrey Ryswell until her marriage, Domerics fostering thus took place after Barbreys marriage to Lord Dustin. Lady Barbrey got married to Lord Dustin in 282AC, and thus, technically, this is the first year where Domeric could have been fostered. With fosterings usually ending at the age of 16, and Domerics fostering in total having lasted 7 years, 4 years of which were spend at Lady Barbrey's, Domeric would have been 9 years old at the oldest when his fostering with Lady Barbrey started.

With Domeric's age at 9 at the maximum in 282AC, Domeric cannot have been born before 273AC.

However, Domeric returned from the Vale wanting a brother. It seems highly unlikely that between Domeric returning to the Dreadfort and Domerics death, 8 years passed, bringing the timeframe back to 279AC-281AC, roughly.

O/ Question. When people call Nettles to be Daemon's "bedmate", do they mean it as a bedwarmer (with nothing sexual implied), or is just a polite way to call her his mistress? Or is somehow a definition I don't know?

I'm not sure, but mate is like mating right? I think they did the deed. He isn't exactly a faithful guy.

Don't forget just how far out from the books season 5 is going to be, Jaime is going to Dorne and Tyrion will be sitting in the stands of the fighting pits with Dany and Jorah will be in the pits fighting.

:uhoh: I don't think I like this.. and to ignore Tyrion's travel with (f)Aegon is to remove Septa Lemore from sight, diminish JonCon's role, not to introduce Greyscale properly (as for now, in the show, it is only a scar on Shireen's face).

I sense a disturbance in the force. vader.gif

^

Targaryen is a good guess... but Dany has dragons :P Dragons are worth more than anything in the world. And Young Griff has Illyrio behind him.

The greyjoy reside on poor, small land, but they plunder a lot…

Difficult question. Maybe the Starks? Not that they are poor but they are not rich like Westerlands, Reach, Riverlands and Dorne. Their land is cold and hard.

I did not notice that in my first read. From Dance 53 :

"I am not the man I was at Ruddy Hall. Seen too much death, and worse things too. My sons..." Grief twisted Tormund's face. "Dormund was cut down in the battle for the Wall, and him still half a boy. One o' your king's knights did for him, some bastard all in grey steel with moths upon his shield. I saw the cut, but my boy was dead before I reached him. And Torwynd... it was the cold claimed him. Always sickly, that one. He just up and died one night. The worst o' it, before we ever knew he'd died he rose pale with them blue eyes. Had to see to him m'self. That was hard, Jon." Tears shone in his eyes. "He wasn't much of a man, truth be told, but he'd been me little boy once, and I loved him."

I figured you had to be killed by an Other or a wight to become yourself a wight, but that's not what happened for Torwynd. Is it enough to just die beyond the Wall? Does that mean that Jeor Mormont and Craster are now wights ?!

I did not notice that in my first read. From Dance 53 :

I figured you had to be killed by an Other or a wight to become yourself a wight, but that's not what happened for Torwynd. Is it enough to just die beyond the Wall? Does that mean that Jeor Mormont and Craster are now wights ?!

Following your thoughts, the Others may be killing with the cold they bring:

it was the cold claimed him.

So it may be true he was slain by the Others or by one of them.

Back to your thought, even if my doubt has us bereft of this particular example, I have asked myself the same: Maybe they can rise any dead being, not just their own slain?

Wight animals of all sorts point prettily in that direction.

Archived