Small questions v. 10092

Knight Of Winter

Pretty old, since he has grey hair. Not sure how old exactly.

Jon was paired with dour Eddison Tollett, a squire grey of hair and thin as a pike, whom the other brothers called Dolorous Edd.

“We’ll never find that one, and I’ll be blamed,” announced Edd Tollett, the dour grey-haired squire everyone called Dolorous Edd.

I was under an impression that Grand Maester is simply to title for king's maeaster. He does not hold any formal authority over other maesters.

As for inter-Citadel intrigues, power plays and such, then yes, archmaesters are in charge of that.

Barbrey Dustin, who seems quite knowledgeable about maesters, thought archmaesters were leading Citadel in some kind of masterplan whose part was Lord Rockard's southern ambitions. That would confirm that archmeasters are the one leading the Citadel and its policy.

how much power does actually the Grand maester has over the maesters? Is it the archmaesters who holds the real power ?

I would say that the Grand Maester is the official head of the Order but it is purely a ceremonial role, as the others have said , the real power and leadership resides with the archmaesters themselves.

The Grand Maester is the "face" of the Citadel.

I would say that originally when the Citadel became an advisor to King Aegon that the Grand Maester was the head maester proper but as the years went on the isolation of the office from the day-to-day running of the Citadel meant the Grand Maester lost his influence in the Order's politics and the hieracrchy took over.

The Grand Maester is not necessarily the most educated as in he does not have to have every link forged.

But with such an important office with access to the king and the running of the kingdom the man elected would have to be (usually) looking also to the interests of the Citadel.

Tho Pycelle seems to have others higher on his list of priorities! :)

What use is a bravoosi sword in a battle? I mean we have this guy who calls himself kaspario "Te cunning" who fights with a bravoosi sword with the second sons. Is he really that cunning?

Do you mean the actual metal blades or the Swords as in the First, Second and Third?

The blades are only as good as the man who wields it and the swordsmen of Braavos (bravos) are renowned for their skill

The swordmanship of the bravos of the Secret City is as famed as the beauty of her courtesans.

The blades themselves are a light well balanced weapon and in the hands a skilled man I bet they would be of benefit in any battle.

As for Kasporio, well sometime an epithet can mean the complete opposite and Tyrion reckons that Kasporio is not-so-cunning.

But he is 2iC so he must have something going for him.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread and for paraphrasing rather than quoting!

Melisandre wants the blood of a king for her magic and is thwarted by Davos and John with regards to Roberts bastard and Mances child. Obviously, as she is with John at the wall during the knife attack she potentially has acces to a kings blood (if RLJ). Is there a thread discussing this as a possibility. I wondered if she might finally join the dots about him (in terms of the fire visions) or, like Danny with the dragon hatching, just stumble on it through happenstance and use his blood.

I'm new so apologies if this is a dumb or obvious post.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread and for paraphrasing rather than quoting!

Melisandre wants the blood of a king for her magic and is thwarted by Davos and John with regards to Roberts bastard and Mances child. Obviously, as she is with John at the wall during the knife attack she potentially has acces to a kings blood (if RLJ). Is there a thread discussing this as a possibility. I wondered if she might finally join the dots about him (in terms of the fire visions) or, like Danny with the dragon hatching, just stumble on it through happenstance and use his blood.

I'm new so apologies if this is a dumb or obvious post.

You could mention this in the R+L=J thread..

With Jon and Mel both at the Wall, she is the candidate to help Jon.. either by reviving him, or nursing him back to health.. With now an insight into Mel's thouhts, a change in her opinion can now be followed...

Whether she will use his blood.... that would be part of a bigger conversation :)

Just to clarify, apparently Jojen is not a greenseer even though he has the greensight.

“You’re a greenseer.”

“No,” said Jojen, “only a boy who dreams. The greenseers were more than that. They were wargs as well, as you are, and the greatest of them could wear the skins of any beast that flies or swims or crawls, and could look through the eyes of the weirwoods as well, and see the truth that lies beneath the world.

Archived