Why Elia?

Fae Boleyn

Putting this here instead of the main forum because of the world book information about the Targaryen family dynamics when Aerys was King.

Why did Aerys pick Elia for Rhaegar to marry? I used to think it was because Targaryens had previously wed into House Martell and they're still quasi-royal. But now we have Aerys complaining about his granddaughter "smelling Dornish", which suggests he shares the Westerosi scorn for the Dornish.

I also considered it possible that Rhaegar picked her, but now that we know how little Aerys trusted his son, that too seems unlikely. As King Aerys would have veto power on his son's marriage. And he was pretty determined on a Valyrian bride for Rhaegar - I'm surprised we only know of two missions to find Valyrian brides, honestly. Especially as Tywin headed one and Aerys didn't trust him.

Not to mention, Elia's health issues seem to have been common knowledge. So who picked Elia and why? Was it another slap at Tywin, who had rejected Elia for Jaime as Aerys rejected Cersei for Rhaegar? Was the Princess of Dorne's consort, of whom we know nothing, of Valyrian blood? (My personal favorite crackpot is that he had Blackfyre blood, but I'm aware it's a long shot.)

Edit to add I've nothing against Elia; we know little of her but she seems to have been a good woman. I'm just wondering what led to the marriage, which wouldn't have been about her personally.

Not really sure other than "plot reasons". We know that Aerys was already paranoid after losing his last friend (Steffon Baratheon) and didn't trust anyone, least of all Tywin. Why did he think that the Dornish alliance was the most beneficial or the one that was least likely to backfire is hard to tell. Might have been that the whole Elia/Rhaegar marriage was Rhaella's idea and her doing.

I do wonder why Ashara Dayne was not considered as a suitable match for Rhaeagar.

Well the Targaryens already had a history intermarrying with the Martells and maybe Aerys wanted his son to marry someone with Valyrian blood so the Martells were it.

Anyways it was a good marriage arrangement IMO, Elia did give Rhaegar two heirs and his son even had his Valyria look. It makes me sad what should have been.

Ashara is out, since Aerys great-grandfather married a Dayne, and it is really soon to be marrying such a minor (they are strong yes, but who would have a Dayne when you could have a Martell) house. That doesn't really happen.

As for great lords;

Stark- Lyanna would have been pretty young

Tully- Catelyn perhaps, Lysa was same age as Lyanna

Lannister- fuk u tywin no

Martell- YAASS ELIA

The other great houses had no daughters. Velaryons and Celtigars must have lost most of their Valyrian blood if Steffon was looking for a Valyrian noble, and there were no Targaryen relatives.

Ashara is out, since Aerys great-grandfather married a Dayne, and it is really soon to be marrying such a minor (they are strong yes, but who would have a Dayne when you could have a Martell) house. That doesn't really happen.

As for great lords;

Stark- Lyanna would have been pretty young

Tully- Catelyn perhaps, Lysa was same age as Lyanna

Lannister- fuk u tywin no

Martell- YAASS ELIA

The other great houses had no daughters. Velaryons and Celtigars must have lost most of their Valyrian blood if Steffon was looking for a Valyrian noble, and there were no Targaryen relatives.

...because interbreeding with Martells may lead to weakening of the quintessential Valyrian looks that makes them stand out and makes everyone think that the Targaryens are some kind of untouchable semi-gods. Without the dragons and special looks, they're just another noble house. No reasons for having exemption to rules, such as the incest. The Daynes resemble the Targaryens a great deal.

That rubbish said, I do agree that the reason was probably that Elia with her tiny drop of Targ blood was the next best thing.

The answer is simple, Princess Elia Martell is the most suitable candidate; a high-born lady and daughter of the Princess of Dorne with Targaryen and Valyrian blood.. Remember, Princess Elia is the descendant of Prince Maron Martell and Princess Daenerys Targaryen.. Aside from that years ago, Aliandra Martell may have wed Drazenko Rogare of Lys, a scion of a wealthy and influential Valyrian noble family who's own niece married King Viserys II and was the mother of King Aegon IV.. Remember, when Steffon Baratheon went to Essos to find Rhaegar a wife, the problem is that he didn't find any ladies of Valyrian descent, it's just that none is of high enough rank to be considered as a suitable bride of the Crown Prince..

The answer is simple, Princess Elia Martell is the most suitable candidate; a high-born lady and daughter of the Princess of Dorne with Targaryen and Valyrian blood.. Remember, Princess Elia is the descendant of Prince Maron Martell and Princess Daenerys Targaryen.. Aside from that years ago, Aliandra Martell may have wed Drazenko Rogare of Lys, a scion of a wealthy and influential Valyrian noble family who's own niece married King Viserys II and was the mother of King Aegon IV.. Remember, when Steffon Baratheon went to Essos to find Rhaegar a wife, the problem is that he didn't find any ladies of Valyrian descent, it's just that none is of high enough rank to be considered as a suitable bride of the Crown Prince..

Yah, this sums up my sentiments exactly.

I don't really get why Aerys cared about Valyrian close blood, as his grandpa egg personally called BS on it, didn't really even like Aerys match, and Aerys himself wanted a Lannister woman.

I think both Jaehaerys II and Aerys II were trying either to bring back the dragons or create TPTWP through Targ interbreeding. Jaehaerys shot gun wedding to his sister does not look like a love match to me, more like a power grab or someone acting on prophesy as Rhaegar did. Egg called BS on it because Egg was half sensible and realised prophesy is both dangerous and will come about without anyone forcing it, Aerys definitely wasn't half sensible and probably wanted to inflict the same misery on Rhaegar his father inflicted on him.

I think both Jaehaerys II and Aerys II were trying either to bring back the dragons or create TPTWP through Targ interbreeding. Jaehaerys shot gun wedding to his sister does not look like a love match to me, more like a power grab or someone acting on prophesy as Rhaegar did. Egg called BS on it because Egg was half sensible and realised prophesy is both dangerous and will come about without anyone forcing it, Aerys definitely wasn't half sensible and probably wanted to inflict the same misery on Rhaegar his father inflicted on him.

How would Jaehaerys's marriage be a power grab since Duncan had already abdicated before Jaehaerys wed? I don't get how it would be a shotgun wedding, either. It was an elopement where both parties acted against their parents' authority. That's pretty much the opposite of a shotgun wedding.

How would Jaehaerys's marriage be a power grab since Duncan had already abdicated before Jaehaerys wed? I don't get how it would be a shotgun wedding, either. It was an elopement where both parties acted against their parents' authority. That's pretty much the opposite of a shotgun wedding.

I agree, this was planned. They both eluded their guardians and married. Doesn't sound spur of the moment.

Weren't the Princess of Dorne and Rhaella close friends? Or am I just imagining that? It's possible that his mother helped arrange the match at a point where there were few other options since the quests for a foreign bride failed, he despises Tywin and Cersei is therefore not an option, Lyanna is probably too young, and he's not going to have his heir marrying non-royal blood like the Tullys/Tyrells/Hightowers even if they had suitable daughters.

Lol, indeed it is the logistical opposite of a shotgun wedding. I guess it could be called a Romeo/Juliet wedding, with an incest kicker. :)

As for the original topic, I agree with most here that it was more a process of elimination decision with Elia being the only 'best' available option; and Rhaella's influence could have been the trump card, especially in regards to getting Rhaegar himself to agree to the marriage (while she may not have had any influence over Aerys, she probably retained some over her son). The only alternative to Elia I view as plausible in Aerys' mind is Catelyn (Ashara is out in my mind due to both the closeness between her and Elia and the fact that the Daynes are subservient to the Martells). While she doesn't have Valyrian blood, it could perhaps be viewed as another slap in the face to Tywin considering the proximity of the two houses and foster enmity between the two lords paramount, which would be strategically beneficial to Aerys. OTOH, this presumes Aerys would be making decisions based on logic, which is of course ridiculous...

i think it was a combination of Elia's Valyrian blood and Aerys's hatred for Twyin.Lady Martell was Rhaella's friend so she might told her about Twyin rejected Oberyn and/or Elia for his children.After learning that, Aerys could be sure Martells would never be Lannister supporters, so he could trust them more.In addition to this,taking a woman from a less powerful house (than house Lannister) who had already been rejected by Lannisters would be a slap in the face for Twyin.

The Valyrian blood definitely had something to do with it. If Steffon had a daughter, I'm positive she'd have been betrothed to Rhaegar. But alas, he didn't, so Aerys would have to go back further.

And oh yeah, to spite Tywin.

Archived