Your sister was kidnapped, how do you get her back?

TimJames

Scenario I would have loved.

"RHAEGAR PREPARE TO DIE!".

"I can't fight you. I'm a Prince. My KG will fight in my name"

"Bring it on, emo boy... I'll defeat who ever you send to me. He will die in your name for the crime of dishonouring my sister!".

"And you will die for what you did to mine"

...and Arthur kills Brandon.

Fin.

This one is funny because if Aerys had done this the war never happens.

Going to KL and threaten to kill the crown prince is treason. Aerys had every right to detain and trial Brandon and summon Rickard to the court.

"If" he made Hightower or Jaime fight the trial by combat, no one in the kingdom would be mad if Rickard died and Brandon is executed for treason..."the gods decided the victor" yada yada.

"if" he never demands the heads of Ned and Robert (who isn't even a member of the offending house) = no casus belli for Jon to go to war.

Build up an army of Stark, Baratheon and Tully

Go there

Ask very politely to get the girl back, if needed challenge straight Rhaegar

Duel will likely be broken by Lyanna (wich will try to avoid lose his brother or loved man or both) and if not i think Brandon got a decent to good chance at win if the condition are about fight without horse

He wasn't though, and that doesn't appear to be a secret.

So jump straight to open rebellion, then?

At that point the government still appeared to have functioned more or less normally. Calling out the prince (in a more level headed fashion) was pretty much the logical and even only recourse. By being a crazy maniac, Aerys opened other... avenues of contestation, shall we say.

Of course, the Starks could also have decided to just drop their trousers, bend over and take it from the royal family. That's always an option.

So jump straight to open rebellion, then?

At that point the government still appeared to have functioned more or less normally. Calling out the prince in a more level headed fashion was pretty much the only recourse. By being a crazy maniac, Aerys opened other... avenues of contestation, shall we say.

more like be smarter about calling out the prince. try any sort of diplomacy. Maybe don't threaten the family of a known sane man in the process?

I would have investigated what happened first and make plans. Threatening the crown prince wasn't a bright thing to do although no one could imagine that Aerys would be mad enough to treat the Starks so poorly especially considering their connections with the Vale and the Baratheons + he lacked the support of the Lannisters. If Brandon wasn't so hasty then maybe Lyanna would still be alive and her heir would be King by now.

I would have investigated what happened first and make plans. Threatening the crown prince wasn't a bright thing to do although no one could imagine that Aerys would be mad enough to treat the Starks so poorly especially considering their connections with the Vale and the Baratheons + he lacked the support of the Lannisters. If Brandon wasn't so hasty then maybe Lyanna would still be alive and her heir would be King by now.

Yep. Could not agree more.

The problem with all the "go home and raise and army" ones is that that takes time, time during which Lyanna would be Rhaegar's captive and at his mercy. And for all his faults of being a bit daft and hot headed Brandon does seem to have cared for his sister so to him the idea of sitting around and waiting would have been out of the question

Archived