Any thoughts on Preston Jacobs?

King Jon Targaryen I

Just watched the Qarth video, enjoyed watching it and even though I don't always agree with things like R+L=D and B+A=J (although I wouldn't be surprised if Red Door House Dany was on the Island where Arianne was to secretly meet up with Viserys and not Braavos)

For my part I actually enjoy them, it's a nice change from going through theories based merely on text on these boards

Same goes with the Alt Shift X or whatever who covers some of the basic theories, good to explore theories in a different way and it has certainly made me look at things differently

All in all, it isn't very different to the vast differences of opinion on here, he has merely put his into video format. Like most of the opinions in here is all rather speculative at the end of the day but I enjoy hearing people refer to the text. But that's what's good about these books, there's so much in them that people have come about with so many different theories as to what is occurring behind the scenes, just have to look at the Heresy threads which really turn the narrative on its head. Sign of a true masterpiece that GRRM can put keen readers of his books into a spin

Don't get the dislike towards the fellow personally, or the turn in this thread into the topic of a lot of people being accused of being "elitist snobs"

Lol at Mance = Rhaegar, that's right up there with Daario = Euron or Howland Reed = High Sparrow. As for Quentyn still being alive, pretty sure he's dead, I think he is the only person who got torched/mortally wounded during their actual Chapter POV, (Epilogues aside), maybe he's still alive and is posing as Marvyn or something lol.

As I've said before, a lot of the agenda's often have pretty simple rationales behind them, eg Dornish want revenge for Elia, Some people/factions are against Magic and anti-Dragon, some are pro-Dragon and pro-Magic, some people just want to increase power and influence, some people want greater autonomy/independence etc. Sometimes the execution gets complex but I think some bookreaders get over-elaborate

all his theories might not be right but you cant say the guy doesn't know a tremendous amount about the books

Hmmm, actually I can... I am sorry, but his obvious lack of understanding how some things in literature work, some very basic things, is actually quite telling. I mean, how does it work for some of you? I am genuinely curious. Like, "I don't agree with him, the conclusions are wrong, but he knows a lot of stuff". That is what I have read numerous times on this thread. I mean, if the theories and conclusions are wrong, out of reach etc, isn't that one of signs that someone actually doesn't know much about the books? Like one big thing? I am seriously interested how it works. For me, the quality of someone's material and thus the level of their comprehension is based on the fact that I find certain conclusions good, theories acceptable, opinions quite valid. So, it is quite confusing for me when someone says "yeah, he is wrong about everything, but he knows a lot of stuff about books".

I haven't checked this guy out, but this all seems pretty harsh. So what if some of you disagree with him? Does that mean it's okay to bad mouth the guy for no good reason, and it's not even constructive criticism, it's straight up trash talk bordering on hate. Also, this certainly isn't how we talk about people here when they make crackpots, so, what, because it's on YouTube it's different? Plus, I hear this guy's on this website too, and I'm pretty sure none of y'all should appreciate logging on to find a hate thread about you.

I don't know what that means... ?

The original post posits that the videos have merit because they are videos (with images), as opposed to just typed words here.

The next person was making a joke, an interpretation of the phrase "based merely on text" to be the books and not typed words here.

... ?

His most recent video squeezes, by my count, over 80 direct quotations from the text... in under 12 minutes.

I'm not against this guy, I know nothing about the guy. But quotes don't equate to knowing the.books. I could.take a bunch of quotes get the context , tone of the.book etc wrong and end up with some daft shit. Just because some one knows what's in the books doesn't mean they know what's in the books, you follow me?

I'm not against this guy, I know nothing about the guy. But quotes don't equate to knowing the.books. I could.take a bunch of quotes get the context , tone of the.book etc wrong and end up with some daft shit. Just because some one knows what's in the books doesn't mean they know what's in the books, you follow me?

I think that is what bothers me. People without intimate knowledge of the books could see the quotes taken out of context and twisted to mean something that was never implied in the actual text. It's a bit like what politicians do.

The original post posits that the videos have merit because they are videos (with images), as opposed to just typed words here.

The next person was making a joke, an interpretation of the phrase "based merely on text" to be the books and not typed words here.

Thanks, but that wasn't what I was asking; I don't know what you meant by your post "Text (or words) versus video."

(Also, I don't see any post "positing that the videos have merit because they are videos," but I'd rather return to the topic.)

I haven't checked this guy out, but this all seems pretty harsh. So what if some of you disagree with him? Does that mean it's okay to bad mouth the guy for no good reason, and it's not even constructive criticism, it's straight up trash talk bordering on hate. Also, this certainly isn't how we talk about people here when they make crackpots, so, what, because it's on YouTube it's different? Plus, I hear this guy's on this website too, and I'm pretty sure none of y'all should appreciate logging on to find a hate thread about you.

You have it backwards.

People who disagree with Preston Jacobs' videos are saying (in effect) "I don't like his videos because he stretches things and disregards facts which refute his ideas". That's hardly bad-mouthing and nowhere near trash talk bordering on hate.

It's the people who disagree with these videos who were receiving the trash talk and being called elitist snobs.

Get your facts straight.

Thanks, but that wasn't what I was asking; I don't know what you meant by your post "Text (or words) versus video."

(Also, I don't see any post "positing that the videos have merit because they are videos," but I'd rather return to the topic.)

In this post:

For my part I actually enjoy them, it's a nice change from going through theories based merely on text on these boards

The word 'text' could be interpreted to be either the books (text) or the words written on this forum (text).

It is a joke. Which is clearly lost on some.

You have it backwards.

People who disagree with Preston Jacobs' videos are saying (in effect) "I don't like his videos because he stretches things and disregards facts which refute his ideas". That's hardly bad-mouthing and nowhere near trash talk bordering on hate.

It's the people who disagree with these videos who were receiving the trash talk and being called elitist snobs.

Get your facts straight.

How exactly does he disregard "facts" that refute his ideas when he is just posting a video of his theories? There's no discussion in the videos, he just posts quotes from the books that support his conclusions and then goes out of his way to state that his conclusions could be totally wrong at the end. You are free to agree or disagree but most of what I am seeing in this thread is stuff like "the guy is a crackpot and doesn't know what he's talking about" without directly refuting his theories. It seems to me that most of the posters here are basically saying that his conclusions are different from theirs so he's obviously a crackpot that has never really read the books and that is just silly. I've watched all his videos and I agree with some of his theories and disagree with others. My main gripe against PJ is that some of his theories are so in-depth and all-encompassing that I find it very hard to believe that GRRM could have possibly had all of that in mind while writing the books (his northern ambitions series springs to mind here). Still, just because I don't personally agree with some of the things he says does not mean that I think he's an idiot and doesn't really understand the books...

How exactly does he disregard "facts" that refute his ideas when he is just posting a video of his theories? There's no discussion in the videos, he just posts quotes from the books that support his conclusions and then goes out of his way to state that his conclusions could be totally wrong at the end. You are free to agree or disagree but most of what I am seeing in this thread is stuff like "the guy is a crackpot and doesn't know what he's talking about" without directly refuting his theories. It seems to me that most of the posters here are basically saying that his conclusions are different from theirs so he's obviously a crackpot that has never really read the books and that is just silly. I've watched all his videos and I agree with some of his theories and disagree with others. My main gripe against PJ is that some of his theories are so in-depth and all-encompassing that I find it very hard to believe that GRRM could have possibly had all of that in mind while writing the books (his northern ambitions series springs to mind here). Still, just because I don't personally agree with some of the things he says does not mean that I think he's an idiot and doesn't really understand the books...

As well as quotes that say the opposite of what he's saying, and just talks about it as if the books actually support what he's saying (Luwin to Ned about Jon and the Night's Watch, for example).

As far as the crackpot, there have been multiple threads for his individual theories, including some in which he has participated. If you want refutation of his points, I would go there.

Archived