NBA Regular Season 2014-2015: Injured Kobes and All Star Unibrows

Rhom

But man what a shock. Nothing seemed to have happened recently. It's unclear how long he is out, but everyone seems to think the season is over again.

It's similar to the injury he had to the other knee in November of '13 that put him out all last season, so I would not expect him to return.

The Bulls definitely need to think about the future now. As others have pointed out, Rose is a mediocre shooter whose star power was fueled by elite athleticism. Sadly it looks as if he'll never get back to that level.

It's a shame. Part of the fun of the NBA now is watching all these crazy gifted PGs doing battle night after night. We now lose the chance to watch Rose battle with Wall or Irving or Lowry or Teague in a playoff series which is a bummer from a pure basketball perspective.

And man I thought we were in for at least a good Eastern Conference semis. Now would be very surprised if the ECF is anyone but Atlanta-Cleveland. I guess Toronto could crash the party too but consider this: Bulls just lost all their upside, Raptors have lost 3 in a row, Wizards have been so terrible they're having articles like this written about them and the Heat could've been interesting with Dragic, Wade, Bosh and Whiteside but now Bosh is out for the rest of the year too. Last thing the Eastern Conference needs is major injuries on top of its overall dearth of talent.

Now that OKC is firmly entrenched in the 8 spot, every series in the Western Conference Playoffs will be a total bloodbath (OKC-GS in round 1, seriously?!).. The Eastern Conference Playoff games on earlier in the night will at best be like a try-hard warm-up act to the main event.

I remember seeing a piece on Derrick Rose when he was at Memphis that when he arrived there his diet consisted of literally nothing but candy.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89424960

There we go. Not surprising that his body is breaking down now.

I doubt that it has anything to do with his current diet (unless he is still eating this much garbage). His style of play simply doesnt go very well with his legs and he probably has a lot of overuse issues.

I doubt that it has anything to do with his current diet (unless he is still eating this much garbage). His style of play simply doesnt go very well with his legs and he probably has a lot of overuse issues.

I took that as a joke?

Westbrook with a triple-double in defeat. Awesome fantasy numbers besides 12-38 shooting(yes, 38 shots).

I do find it ever so typical and worrying about OKC this season that they lose these close games against fellow competitors.

I don't doubt that in the end they will finish ahead of Phoenix and New Orleans, and I do like the recent roster additions.

And yes you have to take into account for Durant's constant injuries and absence. But even with him and a superb Westbrook, I feel too many of the games that matter are lost. Those games where you really want them to win because you know it's an important game to their opponent, they lose them.

It's a shame. Part of the fun of the NBA now is watching all these crazy gifted PGs doing battle night after night. We now lose the chance to watch Rose battle with Wall or Irving or Lowry or Teague in a playoff series which is a bummer from a pure basketball perspective.

Now that OKC is firmly entrenched in the 8 spot, every series in the Western Conference Playoffs will be a total bloodbath (OKC-GS in round 1, seriously?!).. The Eastern Conference Playoff games on earlier in the night will at best be like a try-hard warm-up act to the main event.

Rose is not out yet though. Expectations within the Bulls are apparently that since he is now having the part removed, the recovery time will be such that he may still return this season. Of course that will become clear after the surgey today. I am holding out hope that the Bulls season is not yet a waste.

I agree entirely that the Wizards and Raptors are a notch below Cleveland and a fit Chicago team. They are not going to cause an upset. Miami looked great there for 1 day as an interesting challenger, but then Bosh was announced. And who knows anyway what Wade can still do. Brooklyn retained all it's highly paid personnel and is still a mess. Maybe Indiana with Paul George back could be an interesting slot at #8.

As for the West, San Antonio has been in such a slump that they could fall to no.8. I would love for them to face Golden State in round 1 and see OKC play Houston or Memphis instead.

It's bad that Wiggins for Love is already looking like a ugly for Cleveland. This first year should have been hands down Love gives Cleveland the best shot at a title this year. But with him looking significantly worse than anticipated in Cleveland and Wiggins flashing elite talent, even that is hazier.

Granted Love is still the better player. Wiggins is still pretty raw and would likely struggle to fit into a useful role on a title contending team. Think being on Minnesota is great as he can just play and do his thing.

But it's not like you can compare Love to Wiggins straight up. Love costs $10m more each of the next two years. Imagine the rim protection that cap space could buy? Instead they had to give up two first rounders to get that rim protection to compensate for Love's limitations.. Those are assets that could have been big for future title runs (like Wiggins). Plus if they had Wiggins able to solely concentrate on perimeter defense there goes another big weakness. Yeah he still can't shoot but Love hasn't been much better. Also telling Dion Waiters "to be ready" as if he was ever going to be the answer.

And that's just this year. If Wiggins continues living up to the considerable potential he's shown this year...it'll be an outright disaster. Could end up that Lebron ends up shortening his own realistic title window by 3-4 years.

I am not sure that I agree that Love trade is a bad one. As I said I am very pleased with how Wiggins is doing. But how does he fit on that Cleveland roster? LeBron plays that exact position and is expected to do that for 4-5 more years. I guess you'd have to play LeBron at SF and Wiggins as a 2-guard. Which would be awesome if that works because then you have two supertalents on the wing. But I think another element is that LeBron is not yet ready for an "Old LeBron is being replaced by his younger version" narrative. He may not like that.

And they do have a need for what Love brings. He's been a top 10 player for years.

He's a floorspacing power forward. He shoots 3's, which not many other players on the team at that point were great at ( and still aren't).

I don't think he's leaving Cleveland at all. I may be wrong but I am 99% convinced that he's re-signing and staying longer term. I think he realizes that this is his chance at winning things. His relationship withLeBron may not be super, but that can change in time, or maybe it doesn't need to change. He can hold his own there.

Of course it does become a very bad trade if you consider that Love might have come up over as a free agent anyway. But is that realistic? Woudln't the Timberwolves have traded him to someone else after all, rather than let him for nothing this summer? In general my point is that he may be a better fit and fulfills a greater need, than Wiggins would have done, on this particular team.

I think the combination of James-Love-Irving can work very well, this year already. James-Wiggins-Irving? You'd need some really good players to bolster that empty frontcourt. And Love has skills other power forwards generally do not.

I am not sure that I agree that Love trade is a bad one. As I said I am very pleased with how Wiggins is doing. But how does he fit on that Cleveland roster? LeBron plays that exact position and is expected to do that for 4-5 more years. I guess you'd have to play LeBron at SF and Wiggins as a 2-guard. Which would be awesome if that works because then you have two supertalents on the wing. But I think another element is that LeBron is not yet ready for an "Old LeBron is being replaced by his younger version" narrative. He may not like that.

And they do have a need for what Love brings. He's been a top 10 player for years.

He's a floorspacing power forward. He shoots 3's, which not many other players on the team at that point were great at ( and still aren't).

I don't think he's leaving Cleveland at all. I may be wrong but I am 99% convinced that he's re-signing and staying longer term. I think he realizes that this is his chance at winning things. His relationship withLeBron may not be super, but that can change in time, or maybe it doesn't need to change. He can hold his own there.

Of course it does become a very bad trade if you consider that Love might have come up over as a free agent anyway. But is that realistic? Woudln't the Timberwolves have traded him to someone else after all, rather than let him for nothing this summer? In general my point is that he may be a better fit and fulfills a greater need, than Wiggins would have done, on this particular team.

I think the combination of James-Love-Irving can work very well, this year already. James-Wiggins-Irving? You'd need some really good players to bolster that empty frontcourt. And Love has skills other power forwards generally do not.

So Wiggins is definitely a 2 guard and Lebron can play any position 1-4 though he's most often a 3. Put the two together and they can do the Jordan-Pippen thing of locking down both opposing swing men or compensating for Irving's crappy defense or whatever. Plus their sheer combined athleticism to crash the boards or run the floor would have allowed this team an incredible versatility that would allow them to match up with anyone once it started clicking for Wiggins. Every month, I'm more and more sorry we're never gonna get to see that.

But you're right about Love's talents - he's an excellent rebounder and very valuable as a floor spacer. There's no question he makes the Cavs better right now. My issue is his max salary/maxed out abilities hamstrings Cleveland's flexibility going forward assuming he re-signs.

It's not just 2015 Love vs. 2015 Wiggins. It's 2015-2018 Love + Mosgov vs. 2015-2018 Wiggins + $10m/year + full allotment of first round picks. If the former is good enough to win a title, then they were right to go for immediate contention. But if not, I don't know how they get better from here because they've used up all their flexibility on Love and a guy to cover up Love's weaknesses. We just don't know how all this will play in the playoffs where defense is even more important. It was my concern going in when Lebron decided to team up with two purely offensive stars in Irving and Love who can't play a lick of defense. Say what you will of Bosh and Wade but both had proven their worth on both ends of the floor.

All that said, the Cavs are playing much better as of late. They just thrashed the Warriors last night. They seem to be rounding into form as a title contender. Seems to be a combination of Mosgov/Smith/Shumpert erasing their glaring flaws at the 2 and the 5 and Lebron returning to his vintage form. Again, I'm curious how this team measures up in the playoffs. And the problem is now they may not be at all tested until the ECF.

All that said, the Cavs are playing much better as of late. They just thrashed the Warriors last night. They seem to be rounding into form as a title contender. Seems to be a combination of Mosgov/Smith/Shumpert erasing their glaring flaws at the 2 and the 5 and Lebron returning to his vintage form. Again, I'm curious how this team measures up in the playoffs. And the problem is now they may not be at all tested until the ECF.

The Cavs are playing better, and I agree it's hard to imagine them falling short of the ECF. Vs the Hawks will be interesting, but star power goes a long way in the playoffs, and I think the NBA will really want to see Lebron back in the finals. It's too early to say who is going to come out of the West, and whether that team will be a well oiled machine, or a exhausted, punch-drunk boxer. I'm not calling them favorites, but they have a realistic shot at winning the championship this year.

Nonetheless, I am still firmly on the side of "this was a terrible trade". Lebron + Kyrie + Wiggins + cap flexibility is a team that should become a dynasty. Any good free agent can look at that team and say "I will win a ring if I choose Cleveland". That's a powerful argument, and I think that on the second go round the Cavs would be able to get guys to sign for market or slightly-below-market rates.

Rose is not out yet though. Expectations within the Bulls are apparently that since he is now having the part removed, the recovery time will be such that he may still return this season. Of course that will become clear after the surgey today. I am holding out hope that the Bulls season is not yet a waste.

Word is, the surgery went well, and Rose is expected back in four to six weeks.

Nonetheless, I am still firmly on the side of "this was a terrible trade". Lebron + Kyrie + Wiggins + cap flexibility is a team that should become a dynasty. Any good free agent can look at that team and say "I will win a ring if I choose Cleveland". That's a powerful argument, and I think that on the second go round the Cavs would be able to get guys to sign for market or slightly-below-market rates.

Yeah just looking at last year's free agency, that $10m could have been used to make a strong case luring Gortat or Pau Gasol. This coming year they could try for DeAndre Jordan, Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson. Or someone cheaper like Tyson Chandler, Enes Kanter...or Mosgov. There are plenty of big bodies out there the Cavs could have spent the money they would have saved by not going after Love. So that would've been door #2.

But on second thought Lebron probably didn't want any of these guys. He likes Love like he liked Bosh..as a stretch 4 who keeps the lane open. Seems clear he wants to make Cleveland Miami North. Playing with Al Jefferson would probably be his nightmare.

Word is, the surgery went well, and Rose is expected back in four to six weeks.

Yeah though even if he's back what percent of effectiveness will he be and how quickly until he's re-injured? I just have zero faith in Derrick Rose related upside of any kind at this point. Bulls should still be tougher this year with Gasol and an improved Butler but actual title contention was dependent on the mystical unicorn that is a healthy Derrick Rose.

If the Bulls went into the playoffs now without Rose that would be just as frustrating as last year, or more so.

They are indeed better now than they were last year, but then they fell short big time last year as well.

Without Rose, you're leaning heavily on Butler being continuously excellent and that may wear the guy out, he's already played so much. Brooks and Hinrich will be serviceable point guards but no more than that. Gasol would have to carry a big load. They still have other options in Mirotic, Gibson, Dunleavy but without Rose it's all a bit mean. I could not see such a team get past Cleveland in a series. But yes, they'd be better because they are now less reliant on Rose scoring points than they were last year.

So I'm left hoping Rose returns within those projected 4-6 weeks and by the time of the playoffs at least comes back to the level he had this season ( which was second tier Rose as we all know, and that could be a doable level for him again).

Uh...that was an absolute evisceration. GS just came and beat the fuck out of the Raps. 4 straight losses now...

And aside from Atlanta and Cleveland, the east has come down to earth. Even Atlanta looks very beatable. There's a clear, easy path to the finals for the Cavs now (they likely would've made it regardless, but it's easier now).

Another unreal game and triple-double for Westbrook who went fucking nuts this month. The last two games he has took 70 shots.

I've wondered if Butler can be the man in Chicago and I think he clearly can be. The strides he's taken in the last few years is pretty remarkable and he's still 25. His jumper is coming along and he has made that next level rise that the Bulls needed. I think Thibs should give him a few more minutes of rest a game as he'll be the main man the rest of the year though.

Windhorst (sp) was on Cowherd this morning and was sort of claiming that he had it on good information that LeBron was kind of annoyed that he wasn't showing up in the MVP discussion enough this year. That actually makes sense to me, at least now that Cleveland has roared back into the picture. I suspect that LeBron will come back into the discussion if Cleveland keeps looking stronger than that really slow start to the season.

I also think that a player like him sometimes paradoxically has a harder time winning MVP the more great they are because folks kind of assume that they are so gifted that their greatness is a given or something. More like a fact of the universe than a special effort just from that year.

Another unreal game and triple-double for Westbrook who went fucking nuts this month. The last two games he has took 70 shots.

Bit of a concern at the end of the game though, as he got kneed on the side of the face, resulting in a possible concussion and an actual dent in his cheek

http://i.imgur.com/sn030qS.jpg

Hope the guy's alright, but this shit was weird. If that knee connected with his temple, then that might've been life threatening.

Archived