True Detective Disappointment?

Seaworth'sShipmate

I recently got True Detective for Christmas, and everyone who talked about it said how "amazing" and "incredible" it was. I hate to say, but I was distinctly underwhelmed by it.

I don't want to give too much away, but the whole affair was sort of dull and anticlimactic.

Like the whole ending seems kind of rushed and everything.

Neither of the two are that great of detectives. They would rather beat up/kill their witness than try and use smart means of extracting information from them.

I also think the producers could have done more with the Louisiana setting. I hear southern Louisiana is a very interesting place, with a distinct culture. Instead of exploring the culture and people of the place as well as they could, I feel that this story could have taken place anywhere.

Also, from what I understand, south Louisiana/bayou country is predominantly Catholic, and one of the few places in the old confederacy that is, and has been for centuries. The only religion that gets talked about or shown in that area is snake oil style Evangelical Christianity. Im sure it exists down there, but wouldn't the Catholicism be sort of interesting/ culturally relevent?

Thoughts?

Wrong forum, should be Entertainment, but the mods will move this thread or close it (there are other True Detective threads).

There are moments of brilliance I really liked, but also some excruciatingly boring or revolting moments as well. I have mixed feelings about it, myself.

To each their own, I guess. I thought True Detective was brilliant! Wonderful, interesting characters and beautiful cinematography (e.g. continuous tracking shot in ep. 6, etc.)! I don't know but it seems you may have been a bit of a victim of great expectations. Also, I think with True Detective it was much more about the journey than the destination ;)

The 1st 4 episodes are quite possibly the best 4 episodes of television ever. The last 4 (as you seem to agree) were frankly a mess. The only saving grace throughout the entire season was how beautiful the shots were, and that was VERY consistent. I liked the season, but the setup set me up for a letdown more than anything.

Id like it to be relocated/not shutdown if possible.

I get the sense that the threads about it are filled with praise more often than not, and I am an outlier in not liking it.

I also think, the female characters (and women in general) were treated rather poorly in the show.

I am not nearly as sensitive about this, as say a feminist on tumblr, and my threshold for being offended is fairly high.

That said, I do think the show was sort of degrading to women. The only female characters in the show, are seen in terms of their sexuality, and how they relate it to the male characters. 90% of the females in the show are strippers or prostitutes anyway.

Woody Harrelson's wife, is basically just the "wronged wife" who you sympathize with over her husbands philandering. Sure I think she goes too far in denying her cheating husband time with the kids, but you definitely understand her anger and despair. But thats about it.

There is no female authority figure, no "lady cop" that the boys have to treat like an actual person.

I hate to say it but the whole series felt like it was written by some bored high school boys who wanted to seem "edgy" and "philosophical".

Maybe Im being too harsh?

btw, who on earth is the Yellow King, or Sarcosa? And why wasn't the Satanic/pedophile conspiracy really unmasked?

Is it basically implied that higher ups in Louisiana society aren't going to let it be fully uncovered?

The 1st 4 episodes are quite possibly the best 4 episodes of television ever. The last 4 (as you seem to agree) were frankly a mess. The only saving grace throughout the entire season was how beautiful the shots were, and that was VERY consistent. I liked the season, but the setup set me up for a letdown more than anything.

This. Brilliance and, and, and I'm not sure how to describe it, but the last couple of episodes turned me off. After a decent break, though, perhaps I'll go online to HBO and re-watch the program, see if I feel differently.

I think part of the positive reaction to the show came from watching it week-to-week. As it unfolded, it felt like there was a big conspiracy afoot and there was a frantic scramble to come up with theories and such. This added to the experience of watching it significantly. When it came to an end it was pretty anti-climactic, but by that point people were invested enough that they didn't care too much. Unfortunately if you watch them all back-to-back you don't get that same build up and I suspect that's part of the reason you didn't enjoy it as much.

ST

I think that might be one of the reasons that you wouldn't enjoy it much, but I agree with a lot of the points raised by the OP. And there were quite a few critics who were. I watched it as it was coming out and was really disappointed with the end, that being said, there was a lot I enjoyed about the show as well. As a side note, I think the detectives not being 'the best' was probably the point of the show.

To me, something like Fargo was a stronger series.

I think part of the positive reaction to the show came from watching it week-to-week. As it unfolded, it felt like there was a big conspiracy afoot and there was a frantic scramble to come up with theories and such. This added to the experience of watching it significantly. When it came to an end it was pretty anti-climactic, but by that point people were invested enough that they didn't care too much. Unfortunately if you watch them all back-to-back you don't get that same build up and I suspect that's part of the reason you didn't enjoy it as much.

ST

I don't think so. I think that there's perhaps less inclination to create elaborate theories, but that the show does not require (or even support) said theories and is even better without them. Because all the theories do is let you down.

I loved True Detective but I definitely agree with this.

I also think, the female characters (and women in general) were treated rather poorly in the show.

That said, I do think the show was sort of degrading to women. The only female characters in the show, are seen in terms of their sexuality, and how they relate it to the male characters. 90% of the females in the show are strippers or prostitutes anyway.

But you're describing 90% of tv shows with this. Especially on Hbo where it's a constant that women are extremely sexualized and poorly written and are only important in relation to male characters.

I am one of the avid True Detectives fans. I'd say a big part of it, for me, was watching it week to week AND participating with the westeros forum threads on True Detective. We had more threads for that show than any Game of Thrones episodes.

This. Brilliance and, and, and I'm not sure how to describe it, but the last couple of episodes turned me off. After a decent break, though, perhaps I'll go online to HBO and re-watch the program, see if I feel differently.

FB, let me know when you do - so we should have a rewatch together.

I adored it, and am shouting "BLASPHEMER" at you haters.

Agreed! Besides, how can anyone dislike THE GINGER?

To each their own, I guess. I thought True Detective was brilliant! Wonderful, interesting characters and beautiful cinematography (e.g. continuous tracking shot in ep. 6, etc.)! I don't know but it seems you may have been a bit of a victim of great expectations. Also, I think with True Detective it was much more about the journey than the destination ;)

I think you're referring to episode 4 with the continuous tracking shot. And yes - it was brilliant!

Archived