NFL Playoffs Conference Championship Week: Can we have a controversy free weekend, please?

Trebla

Rather have him as an OC. But I remember the offenses he put together for us under Shanny's time.

THat said, I am a more casual fan than many on this board. I don't have a depth chart of up and coming coaches that would be that much better. Perhaps there is a great candidate out there.

Hell, time to bring Mike Shanahan back. And if they want to get the whole band back together, Cutler too. Can party like it's 2008 all over again, just with a way better defense.

This can't be the craziest thing I've said on this board...

Agree with others that the Dez Bryant catch.... was a catch. Though I also agree that by the rules in the NFL its not. Hopefully that is a rule that changes before next season. I also think the NFL needs to go back to its original uses of the replay system. A reversal of the call made on the field is supposed to be 100% indisputable evidence. Anything that could potentially be this controversial is not 100% indisputable.

That said, let's Go Pats. Colts aren't going to go down as easy as they have in previous matchups with the Patriots, but this seems like the Patriots are heading back to Arizona.

If the torn quad is the main reason behind Manning's performance (he looked physically incapable of playing as an NFL QB yesterday), he is coming back. Imo, John Fox getting fired will not have a lot of influence on his decision.

There are reports that say along with the torn right quad, Manning had a bruised left thigh as well. Could this injury be the reason for yesterday's disaster? I mean he has fucked up in the playoffs before (many times as Rock would point out). The thing is in none of those losses he looked this feeble, physically incapacitated. It was not like he was confused by the coverage and throwing INTs because of misreaidng the coverage. His OL played OK. He seemed just not capable of making throws that an average QB should make. He was not planting his legs, he had this weird arched backed heaves yesterday. All those deep throws that he misfired, he had his WRs in the right coverage and he had diagnosed that properly. Then there was that third and five where he could have literally walked leisurely and pick up a first down. But he tried to throw to Sanders. I think there might be some credence to the reports. More than any other QB in the league, post surgery Peyton needs his legs to throw.

Manning's stats before the SD game was really good. In those 13 games, he had 36 TDs, 9 INTs, 66.9.% completion rate, 7.9 YPA, rating of 107.4. In the 4 games including the SD game, 4 TDs, 4 INTs, 60.5 % completion rate, 7 YPA, Rating of 85.7. Also in one of those games his team scored 47 points while his stats looked like : 21/37 56.76% completion rate, 273 YDs with 7.3 YPA; 0 TDS, 0 INTs, rating of 80.1.

His stats fell off the cliff. If his injury was not that severe, this indicates that he lost "it" all of a sudden. Given the passing corp of the Broncos, those stats indicate that Manning is no longer a league average QB. Hell, from a physical aspect, he did not look like an NFL QB yesterday; period. In that scenario I do not see him coming back. He is a proud man and I also do not see the Broncos paying him 19 Million dollar to compile slightly better stat than Ryan Lindley with a far superior supporting cast.

However if his injury is the main reason behind the drop off in performance, he is most definitely coming back (he does not want to go out like he did yesterday) and the Broncos will want him back. This is a temporary injury. He is old, no question. But there is precedence of first ballot HoF QB coming back from a torn ligament at an advanced age and playing at an MVP level. Brett Favre tore his bicep tendon while playing for the Jets. He came back next year with the Vikings and had one of the best seasons of his career.

Haven't we already had the discussion of Peyton Manning being washed up to the point where he couldn't come back from an injury?

What happened with that? Oh, he went out and had the most successful year for a QB in history,,,

I am not a betting man, but if I were, the farm would be on Manning right now having another good year next year.

I always liked John Fox. While I agree that he excites nobody... that's not a bad thing. Fox is steady, has a good Defensive Maind, works well with a variety of players, and is a good (not great) game manager. He has navigated two teams to Superbowls and has been through a lot of problems, including his own mortality. On the one hand, he's no Rex Ryan. On the other hand he's no Rex Ryan.

I have to agree with the poster who said that if Manning's whole problem was his "torn" (read: not torn) quad then Fox is not jumping ship.

Is Manning done? I don't know what this is. Its possible that Manning is already gone or that this coaching shift is to accommodate him. I don't know. But he's staring 40 down and he sure as hell looks like a guy who is throwing his age. Technically speaking, sure he can still do the right things to be a QB in this league. But he is not a solution any longer; he's just a different set of problems. How many teams are sitting around right now saying "What we need is a very expensive, old QB who can't go down field, has been having medical issues since he turned 36, is extremely demanding, insists on running the offense, has a history of brutally killing Wide Receivers by hitting them over the middle, and is not going to help develop the younger talent."

I mean... how many teams should yell out "Sign me up?"

Kind of hidden in the Broncos lost were a few story lines:

1. Bill Belichick is ALWAYS right: a) Wes Welker's line: 1 catch, 20 yards, on 2 targets. Stick a fork in him. b ) Aquib Talib was awful. He played very soft, got caught for penalties a few times. Yeah... ah... Danny Amendola had two TDs on Saturday. Remember that time people were like "Getting rid of Welker was a huge mistake?" Yeah, I'm a tool, agreed.

2. Phil Simms' son is a QB too: If I have to listen to another commentator watch Mannings' incredible decline and mention how it should NOT effect his legacy... Phil.... did you watch the game? How come you won't say what everyone sees? Somebody has GOT to make the comment "You know his playoff record is fucking terrible..." Would it kill Collinworth to say this? Guys, in Peyton Mannings' last 5 games he has 4 TDs v. 6 INTs, and with the exception of his game v. the Chargers, his passer rating can't get past 81. We're all watching this, right? Can just ONE member of the media articulate it? Or is it like saying "Candyman" three times in front of a mirror?

3. Ah... if he had a "torn" (read: not torn) quad, why was he throwing so much?

Just a quick quibble: if Peyton Manning had a torn- ie: fully torn - quad, he would not be walking around, to say nothing of throwing a football (if you can call it that). He has a "partially" torn quad, and who knows how "partial" (hanging by a thread? just a small little one?). I know it must hurt, but its not like his arm is hanging off his body.

Regardless, this is getting uncomfortably interesting around here...

ETA: Maybe this was stated earlier but the ENTIRE Broncos coaching staff is now been given permission to seek alternate employment...

... this is the first bit of evidence that Manning may be done. If Manning were going to be around, then he 1) must have known about Fox leaving and 2) must have had some hand in his replacement. If that replacement was already on the Broncos staff... maybe somebody should say something about that (unless the Rooney Rule is tying the Broncos' hands). If manning was leaving, why NOT let the coaching staff go?

ETA: Maybe this was stated earlier but the ENTIRE Broncos coaching staff is now been given permission to seek alternate employment...

... this is the first bit of evidence that Manning may be done. If Manning were going to be around, then he 1) must have known about Fox leaving and 2) must have had some hand in his replacement. If that replacement was already on the Broncos staff... maybe somebody should say something about that (unless the Rooney Rule is tying the Broncos' hands). If manning was leaving, why NOT let the coaching staff go?

Kind of feels like OL' HORSETEEF has to find himself a martyr. He's not going to blame his 5 time MVP QB that he broke the bank on. He's certainly not going to blame himself. Gots ta be the coaching staff. No one else left to point the finger at.

In related news, the Niners are apparently hot on Adam Gase. Why? I don't know. Isn't he the guy that calls the plays that Manning the Elder audibles out of? I don't get it.

1. Bill Belichick is ALWAYS right: a) Wes Welker's line: 1 catch, 20 yards, on 2 targets. Stick a fork in him. b ) Aquib Talib was awful. He played very soft, got caught for penalties a few times. Yeah... ah... Danny Amendola had two TDs on Saturday. Remember that time people were like "Getting rid of Welker was a huge mistake?" Yeah, I'm a tool, agreed.

Let's not go around sucking each other's popsicles on Amendola. He has 600 yards and 200 yards receiving in two seasons. Welker might be done now, but he has more yards and 4x the TDs for the Broncos that Amendola has for the Patriots. Yeah he had 2 TDs on Sunday, all it took for 1 was being left completely uncovered on a trick play. For that sweet production, he got $4m more guaranteed than Welker. And you get to keep paying him for 3 more seasons while Welker is a UFA. How was this genius again?

Belichick's a genius for sure but Reche Caldwell is staring at you wide-eyed for the "he is always right" line.

In related news, the Niners are apparently hot one Adam Gase. Why? I don't know. Isn't he the guy that calls the plays that Manning the Elder audibles out of? I don't get it.

Gase got the greatest season ever out of a 37 year old Manning and broke every record. Really took the offense to a whole new stratosphere when he took over. Besides if Mike McCoy and Jim Caldwell got head coaching jobs for being PFM's muse, Gase definitely deserves one.

Though in fairness that resume also sounds awfully similar to Josh McDaniels :P

Let's not go around sucking each other's popsicles on Amendola. He has 600 yards and 200 yards receiving in two seasons. Welker might be done now, but he has more yards and 4x the TDs for the Broncos that Amendola has for the Patriots. Yeah he had 2 TDs on Sunday, all it took for 1 was being left completely uncovered on a trick play. For that sweet production, he got $4m more guaranteed than Welker. And you get to keep paying him for 3 more seasons while Welker is a UFA. How was this genius again?

Belichick's a genius for sure but Reche Caldwell is staring at you wide-eyed for the "he is always right" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjeh_PiqUU8

Gase got the greatest season ever out of a 37 year old Manning and broke every record. Really took the offense to a whole new stratosphere when he took over. Besides if Mike McCoy and Jim Caldwell got head coaching jobs for being PFM's muse, Gase definitely deserves one.

Though in fairness that resume also sounds awfully similar to Josh McDaniels :P

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/McDanielsMadden_zps1db92baf.jpg.html

Still two big championship games left, but imagine of Brady beat Seattle in the Super Bowl. It would not only be Brady's 4th Super Bowl, but it would be over the Seattle team that humiliated Manning the previous year.

I think we need to give up on the comparison game, I don't think either is better than the other and they mirror eachother in advantages and weaknesses, but in the end I do think people will say Brady had the better career.

All the candidates overmeh me.

My top 3 (not counting college guys) are McDaniels, Kubiak and Gase...and I don't actually like any of them. Just there's more room for possibility.

On an aside, anyone know why Tom Clements' name never gets mentioned?

Oh, and a prediction: Greg Roman will be considered a very good coach again.

Archived