NFL Playoffs Conference Championship Week: Can we have a controversy free weekend, please?

Trebla

I agree.

The Pats win against the Colts (in Indianapolis, btw... probably relevant) a few weeks ago primarily by running the football. Well, Jonas Gray has been persona non-grata since that Colts win; he's rusty and may not even get into the game. Which means we have to rely on LeGarrett Blount... and when was the last time THAT guy had a big game rushing?

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/1/12/5300256/lookit-legarrette-blounts-four-touchdowns-vs-colts

... yeah but that was like a year ago.

Actually, give the Colts credit: they did something that is hardly EVER done. They went on the road and beat Peyton Manning in Manning's first game in the playoffs. When you consider the year Manning had, you can see how RARE that is... that hardly ever happens.

Except here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200301040nyj.htm

Oh, and here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200601150clt.htm

And this time: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200801130clt.htm

Oh, and who could forget this time: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200901030sdg.htm

Oh, and FUCK I totally forgot that this actually happened: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201101080clt.htm

And then there was this CLASSIC: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201301120den.htm

I mean, other than all those times Manning went one-and-done in the playoffs... I mean...

...too... too soon?

Look, all kidding aside, Andrew Luck is the future of the NFL and he can move the ball down field and Chuck Pagano is a very good head coach; that D has suddenly stepped up and this looks to be a very competitive game. Really, all kidding aside, and ignoring the fact that the Colts and Pats played eight weeks ago... and the Pats utterly annihilated the Colts... and the game was at Indy... And that Andrew Luck was the Colts leading rusher...

We're onto Indianapolis...

Given the state of Manning's physical (dis)ability and my team's impending annihilation, I don't want a fight. My heart's not really in it. But to borrow from Garry from Indianapolis (via Simmons)

"Did you know Tom Brady is 7-7 in his last 14 playoff games? Did you know since 2006 hes just 2-4 in AFC Championship games and Super Bowls? Did you know Tom Brady has directed 4 of the 12 highest scoring teams in NFL history and that those teams are just 5-4 in the postseason and scored an average of 16.25 points per game in their eventual playoff defeats? Did you know Bradys regular-season passer rating (95.9) is 8.4 points higher than his playoff rating (87.5)? Did you know Brady has lost playoff games to Jake Plummer, Eli Manning (twice), Mark Sanchez, and Joe Flacco (twice)? Did you know Brady has thrown one touchdown or fewer in half of his playoff starts? Did you know that the Patriots have been favored in every Brady era playoff loss with the exception of last January in Denver? Did you know Brady only has three game winning drives (including yesterday's one) in the playoffs in the last 10 years and in one of them he threw a game ending interception that was fortunately fumbled back to his team?"

By the way, Brady's team is 2-2 against PFM's teams in the playoffs. Ever since Spygate... nah too soon :P

In all seriousness, I am hoping for a competitive game in Foxboro.

My prediction for the Championship Games? Pain.

Gonna guess there's never been two championship games where the home team beat the visiting team by 20+ during the regular season. I hope Andrew Luck can singlehandedly match up with the evil empire. I also doubt it. And fully healthy Aaron Rodgers lost to the Seahawks by 20. What's gimpy-calf-injury-possibly-deer-antler-spray-using Aaron Rodgers gonna do? Besides have cable instead of DirecTV.

These weren't the match-ups I wanted. They're the ones we deserve.

You know, I think you're selling the Colts a bit short. Seems to me that they're more likely to give the Pats a good game then the Donks would've. I guess you can make the argument that we likely already saw the AFC Championship played yesterday, but hey, Balty should've won more games in the regular season, and they'd likely be in this game next week.

Have to agree regarding the NFC side. I think Dallas was a better match-up for the Seachickens, especially given Rodgers current condition.

All that being said, the likely Superb Owl match-up could be potentially legendary.

Actually, give the Colts credit: they did something that is hardly EVER done. They went on the road and beat Peyton Manning in Manning's first game in the playoffs. When you consider the year Manning had, you can see how RARE that is... that hardly ever happens.

Except here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200301040nyj.htm

Oh, and here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200601150clt.htm

And this time: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200801130clt.htm

Oh, and who could forget this time: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200901030sdg.htm

Oh, and FUCK I totally forgot that this actually happened: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201101080clt.htm

And then there was this CLASSIC: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201301120den.htm

I mean, other than all those times Manning went one-and-done in the playoffs... I mean...

...too... too soon?

You know, in my mind it's fair. It's fact. I'll be the first to admit that I can't be objective about the guy, I've never been a big fan, but he has been rather mediocre in the playoffs.

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/RegularseasonPeytonManning_zpsfd95e93c.jpg.html

That was so cute.

You know, in my mind it's fair. It's fact. I'll be the first to admit that I can't be objective about the guy, I've never been a big fan, but he has been rather mediocre in the playoffs.

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/RegularseasonPeytonManning_zpsfd95e93c.jpg.html

:lol:

You know, I think you're selling the Colts a bit short. Seems to me that they're more likely to give the Pats a good game then the Donks would've. I guess you can make the argument that we likely already saw the AFC Championship played yesterday, but hey, Balty should've won more games in the regular season, and they'd likely be in this game next week.

Have to agree regarding the NFC side. I think Dallas was a better match-up for the Seachickens, especially given Rodgers current condition.

All that being said, the likely Superb Owl match-up could be potentially legendary.

Yep, the superb owl is legendary.

reason the Dez Bryant call was complete and utter bullshit.

Article 3 Completed or Intercepted Pass. A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete

(by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

( B) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

© maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and ( B) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act

common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an

opponent, etc.).

Note 1: It is not necessary that he commit such an act, provided that he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.

Note 2: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must

lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.

If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body to the ground, it is not a catch.

Item 1: Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact

by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the

field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control,

the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Dez clearly had possession of the ball and had brought the ball back towards his body. The contact from the ground came from him extending it to score, therefore the process of the catch was complete.

edited to say that the quote function is a little screwy right now

You know Phillip, I don't think you even need to break it down like that...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a77070/Controversial-call-on-Megatron-non-TD

Just watch the play that brought the rule to light. In what twisted, upside down, inside out sort of universe is this not a catch?

"Well, I'm sorry, you caught it and took three steps and fell over a guy, but after your entire body hit the ground, the ball kinda moved a little. Incomplete."

Another sweet little tidbit, this was the same ref (Steratore) who made the Megatron call.

You know Phillip, I don't think you even need to break it down like that...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a77070/Controversial-call-on-Megatron-non-TD

Just watch the play that brought the rule to light. In what twisted, upside down, inside out sort of universe is this not a catch?

"Well, I'm sorry, you caught it and took three steps and fell over a guy, but after your entire body hit the ground, the ball kinda moved a little. Incomplete."

Another sweet little tidbit, this was the same ref (Steratore) who made the Megatron call.

Absolutely... Somehow, the refs justified this stupidity in their heads a couple of years ago, and then have been doubling down on it since, It isn't the rule in the rulebook though.

Mike Pierrara can tell me a horse is a truck all day long, but when I go to buy a truck, it had better not have a saddle on it.

My thoughts.

Bellicheck is still smarter than most and can find new ways to win and piss people off.

Manning may be done, he has gone way way down hill very fast.

Seattle will go back to the S.B.

That was a catch. Three steps and a lunge for the endzone. Didn't cost them the game, but it was a catch.

Oddly, I kinda like this post.

Me, too! I thought it'd be interesting to see the old warhorses go at it one more time with the added story line of whether PFM could finally win the big one in Foxboro? What I didn't realize is that not only is PFM seemingly done but he probably has been for awhile now.

It certainly will be interesting to see if Peyton hangs 'em up or not?

I'm always happy to entertain. It brought me no great joy, but I've known since the NE game that Manning was done. Now he needs to just fade away and never come back.

I think it's way too early to speculate about whether Manning is done or just injured.

Haven't people been saying that for the last 2 months? When is it appropriate to state that the man doesn't have it anymore? Stick a fork in him.

Ok, so everyone beats PFM in the playoffs. But Rock, who beats Andy Dalton?

A special sonofagun, that's for sure.

I just want Rockroi to live with the fact that the Patriots will never beat the Bengals in the playoffs.

Mostly because the Patriots will never be playing in the wildcard round and the Bengals will never advance to the Divisional round...

ETA: Trent Richardson was a healthy scratch yesterday. Finally! So the question becomes, will Ryan Grigson cut the bum and eat the cap hit.

The only thing that gives me pause is that Mark Ingram was kind of shitty before this year, and then he became good. But... Ingram was never this bad.

It's not a catch because those steps and lunge were all part of the catch and in doing so the ball not only touched the ground, it bounced off the ground and Dez lost possession of the ball.

It was the correct call.

RE: Dez catch -

1. I grant that the rule is stupid as it is currently being called.

2. Dez made an incredible grab.

3. It's also predictable that the review would go the Packers' way (esp in GB) when Dez falls to the ground (while extending) and the ball moves. The corner actually got a hand on the ball before Dez got it and it affected Dez's control.

4. Dez was actually stupid to try to extend on the play, not only because wrapping it up would ensure it would be called a catch, but also because a quick score would have given the Packers too much time to drive back after and win. 7 points (28-26) and a field goal by the Pack wins it anyway, if they (The Cowboys) were smart enough to go for 2 they might have pushed it to overtime, which I'd say would have been the Cowboys' best chance to win. They'd still have been better off with Dez not going for the glory and running a couple more plays to bleed the clock before handing it back to the red-hot Rodgers.

See, I thought that rule only counted for touchdowns and not for regular catches between the goal lines. The play is dead once the player's elbow or knee touches the ground, which Bryant had both an elbow and a knee down and then the ball came out.

Being down doesn't mean anything while in the process of the catch. You can still drop a catch even if your knee is down. The issue is whether or not you think the fall/lunge were part of the catch (I personally do) or were a separate move after the catch was made.

Not surprisingly, I agree with those that thought the call was correct against Bryant. Watching the replays I expected it to get overturned. Now, I totally agree that the rule is stupid, and that it should be changed, but I've seen that call get made many times. The Megatron no-touchdown is still the perfect example of why that rule doesn't make any sense.

RE: Dez catch -

1. I grant that the rule is stupid as it is currently being called.

2. Dez made an incredible grab.

3. It's also predictable that the review would go the Packers' way (esp in GB) when Dez falls to the ground (while extending) and the ball moves. The corner actually got a hand on the ball before Dez got it and it affected Dez's control.

4. Dez was actually stupid to try to extend on the play, not only because wrapping it up would ensure it would be called a catch, but also because a quick score would have given the Packers too much time to drive back after and win. 7 points (28-26) and a field goal by the Pack wins it anyway, if they (The Cowboys) were smart enough to go for 2 they might have pushed it to overtime, which I'd say would have been the Cowboys' best chance to win. They'd still have been better off with Dez not going for the glory and running a couple more plays to bleed the clock before handing it back to the red-hot Rodgers.

Point 4 is a little harsh on Dez. He caught the ball and of course went immediately for the sticks, because he didn't have time to think about things like the clock right there. He's supposed to score when he gets the ball, that's what he's taught to do, and that's what he's made a name for himself by doing. As well blame Larry Fitzgerald for losing Superbowl 43 because he scored too quickly.

ETA: I'd just like to put something out there. The Colts will lose next weekend in New England.

But... The Colts are the only team left that I think can beat Seattle (matchups and all that). So I guess I'd break it down like this. If I were gonna put money on the Colts to beat the Patriots, I'd extend that bet to also winning the superbowl.

Point 4 is a little harsh on Dez. He caught the ball and of course went immediately for the sticks, because he didn't have time to think about things like the clock right there. He's supposed to score when he gets the ball, that's what he's taught to do, and that's what he's made a name for himself by doing. As well blame Larry Fitzgerald for losing Superbowl 43 because he scored too quickly.

Yeah, I'm saying primarily, just focus on wrapping it up after you've made an awesome circus catch because you know how these things are officiated. Not so much that he shouldn't try to score, just that the risk of the one-handed extension while still falling doesn't match the reward ( a quick score vs. 1st and goal at the 1 or 2 with four downs to punch it in).

See, I thought that rule only counted for touchdowns and not for regular catches between the goal lines. The play is dead once the player's elbow or knee touches the ground, which Bryant had both an elbow and a knee down and then the ball came out.

Nah, you see it all the time. When a receiver goes to the ground while making a catch, they have to maintain complete control all the way through. Assuming that the entire sequence was "the act of receiving" then they called it correctly. He did NOT maintain control all the way through. HOWEVER, if it was Dez made the catch THEN tried to make a move, then it would have been a reception, fumble, then Dez recovers it for a touchdown. That is were there is interpretation.

Archived