Season 5 Trailer Released

Westeros

Reek looks like the most interesting thing in it, with the best understanding of what is happening to the world around him.

In another thread, I read a comment that AFFC & ADWD basically add too much in the way of complicated plot and character, so the aim of the show is likely to streamline this into something more enjoyable for television. It's probably what D&D are aiming for and the trailer doesn't really show us how they are going to achieve it.

Well For Season 5, we have about 9 storylines to follow:

1. King's Landing (Cersei vs. House Tyrell)

2. Dorne (Jaime, Bronn, and House Martell)

3. The North (Theon and The Boltons)

4. The Wall (Jon and Team Dragonstone)

5. Sansa and Littlefinger (Maleficent and Batman)

6. Braavos (Arya and her training)

7. Tyrion and Varys (Pentos, Volantis, etc)

8. Slaver's Bay (Daenerys and company)

9. Brienne and Podrick

There are 22 POV Characters between AFFC and ADWD, it would have been overkill to include all of that into one season when nearly not as many major events happen as in ASOS. It wouldn't have made for good television.

I'm definitely curious how much of Barristans stuff they'll keep in the show considering Tyrion and Jorah are both going to be there in Meereen with him.

Considering that the show avoids giving Barristan sword fights, I think Barristan will be assassinated by the Harpy before the final scene, of which he is missing.

Since I love the Sand Snakes in the books I'm thrilled to see them in the show. (Although it would have been awesome to see all of them..)

Are we sure there's no Arianne? If so, I hate that they cut the rightful heiress to House Martell and with her the opposing force to Westerosi patriarchy. Apparently, there's only room for one female who could possibly gain enough power to threaten male hegemony, too bad she's on another continent. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm very curious about Jaime's storyline in Dorne. In the trailer he and Bronn get attacked, so maybe they're on some kind of "secret mission" to get Myrcella back? I don't think that Jaime would be welcomed in Sunspear, considering the tense relationship between the Martells and the Lannisters. Plus there's Nymeria's remark in the books on how the only fitting payment for the death of Elia's children is the death of "Lord Tywin's golden twins". What if Jaime gets killed (maybe even by Nymeria) in Dorne?

There's enough reason to believe Ellaria is playing Arianne's role. Seeing as she seems to have a lack of presence in the books after Oberyn is killed, it makes sense to keep her in the picture, and Indira is a top actress that essentially could have played Arianne if that role was available to her.

I hope Barristan at least gets a fight if he is to be killed off by the Harpies, he should go out the way Boromir does in LOTR, as he's meant to be a great warrior. I would understand if Ian is not up to doing anything super physical, but at the moment it's all been words with him.

I don't know. Since she's already in the North, it would make more sense to go ahead and get into the equivalent of her Book 5 material, which means interfacing with Stannis. And if they do get that far, what's the point of backtracking into Book 4 material? I think the kingsmoot is out altogether. The only thing that really needs to be covered is Balon's death, which doesn't require Yara changing geography.

The possibility of the kingsmoot and the Iron Islands plot of Feast being cut is 99.9%. The producers said they are doing one of the two subplots introduced in Feast... which is Dorne.

And I think it will be too late and too unimportant for it to be featured in season 6 in my opinion, so I think it's cut altogether. They can introduce Euron after Balon's death without any complications as long as he's mentioned before.

In another thread, I read a comment that AFFC & ADWD basically add too much in the way of complicated plot and character, so the aim of the show is likely to streamline this into something more enjoyable for television. It's probably what D&D are aiming for and the trailer doesn't really show us how they are going to achieve it.

I've stated this myself. In the books names get repeated very often and on a TV show a lot less. They assume you use your eyes to remember people's faces, but then again, you see so many. Tbh, I didn't notice on my first watch that Gregor Clegane was a different actor in season 2. (I think he was called by his name once in Harrenhal in season 2).

So I understand that D&D decided to cut some people out. I mean, yeah the kingsmoot was a good addition too the story, but IMO, Balon can do their 'work' (his brothers') without them. Same in Dorne, the 'same story' can be told without new 'POV's' and a lot new names. (Dorne was hard for me to follow in the books tbh)

There are 22 POV Characters between AFFC and ADWD, it would have been overkill to include all of that into one season when nearly not as many major events happen as in ASOS. It wouldn't have made for good television.

Exactly, people would have to watch the episode at least twice to remember all the people properly and also understand what is actually happening.

So just wanted to throw this on the table:

The scene in the trailer where LF tells Sansa to 'avenge them' might be a spoiler. We've discussed the maggy prophecy over and over, and one of the main questions there were:

Who is the valonqar?

Who is the 'younger & more beautiful queen'?

Looking at LF + Sansa's position and that scene I was wondering:

Will Sansa marry a King, and become the 'younger & more beautiful queen'? Many people see Arianne as Aegon's spouse, but I guess Sansa is an option too.

There's enough reason to believe Ellaria is playing Arianne's role. Seeing as she seems to have a lack of presence in the books after Oberyn is killed, it makes sense to keep her in the picture, and Indira is a top actress that essentially could have played Arianne if that role was available to her.

Agree 100%

Tonight is the HBO special about filming season 5. The little fortified Villiage we see is in fact north of the wall and it's safe to assume what it's name is and that Jon is in fact there.

I assume everyone knows about this pic, if not spoiler.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/game-thrones-season-5-spoiler-4471547

Tonight is the HBO special about filming season 5. The little fortified Villiage we see is in fact north of the wall and it's safe to assume what it's name is and that Jon is in fact there.

I assume everyone knows about this pic, if not spoiler.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/game-thrones-season-5-spoiler-4471547

Note that one of those questions on the quiz on that page is wrong. It said I was wrong when "a dozen pigeons" flew out of the pie and that the correct answer is "a dozen doves". "Pigeon" and "dove" are interchangeable terms and I distinctly recall reading about there being pigeons in the pie.

You know...I think they'll have Cersei and Jaime drift apart again for some reason (likely somewhat contrived; the show cannot into foreshadowing apparently) and he'll go to Dorne to get Myrcella where his role will be merged with Arys Oakheart, except he won't be killed by Aero Hotah.

Considering that the show avoids giving Barristan sword fights, I think Barristan will be assassinated by the Harpy before the final scene, of which he is missing.

This is a load of crap given firstly he is a great book character and secondly they have talked him up

They seem to have given his glory moments to Jorah as part of the Jorah/Dany dynamic

Just a question:

My impression is, that Tyrion is generally seen as being in Pentos in the trailer. However, since there apparently are no Griffs in the show, I can't see any compelling reason for Pentos or the journey from there to Volantis to be included. I would not be surprised, if we end up seeing Tyrion and Varys both traveling via Dorne instead. In fact, my first thought on a specific trailer scene was: Could that be Varys in Dorne, about to start slightly disadvanteged negotiations with the Sand Snakes?

So, I wonder, if anybody has made better and more acute observations from the trailer that would more definately suggest the location of Tyrion and Varys.

Archived