Daenerys is The Stallion Who Mounts the World

adiman83

From an SSM in 2005. Since this hasn't happened yet, maybe next book?

"That being said, Dany will be presented with a map of the world from a fellow whose name I cannot remember because the pronunciation was very odd indeed."

So, Dany could go anywhere. She could even end up in Westeros from Essos (hint hint, to go east you must go west).

But yes, I think a stop in Vaes Dothrak and the Womb of the World is in order.

As for the OP's thoughts, there must be a reason Dany's character was so deliberately associated with horses.

Prophecies are tricksy, but yes I would say it is her on Drogon, they together are the Stallion.

If you re-read Dany's chapters in GOT the Dothraki travel a very long way from Pentos to Vaes Dothrak and never once stop to sack any villages or collect any slaves and everything was fine. They are perfectly able to live of the land, to trade with cities, to war with other tribes (or whatever testosterone action they need to do) without 'needing' to be involved with the slave trade. Dany will show them, and the crones will bow down to her and listen and since the Dosh Khaleen are the only people or rules the Khal's follow........everything will eventually fall in line and she will be able to stop the biggest suppliers of slaves.

Khal Drogo received a hefty bribe from the magisters of Pentos.

I should think it likely that other towns and villages paid protection money.

But yes, I think a stop in Vaes Dothrak and the Womb of the World is in order.

I have forgotten that their lake thing is called "Womb of the World". Considering the Dothraki's views of the world, and their horse symbolism, the most likely and literal interpretation of the Stallion that Mounts that World is exactly what the prophecy says: S/He, the one who dominates all Dothrakis and known world, which is exactly what Dany is already doing, unless they are not aware of what is happening in SB, which I doubt.

Ironic, considering MMD's words: "The stallion who mounts the world will burn no cities now". Well, the deaths of Rhaego and Drogo was what set up Dany's path. Dany already conquered three cities (with sacking and burning included) in order to liberate slaves, exactly what she tried to do to MMD and she paid her with blood and betrayal. Heh.

I have forgotten that their lake thing is called "Womb of the World". Considering the Dothraki's views of the world, and their horse symbolism, the most likely and literal interpretation of the Stallion that Mounts that World is exactly what the prophecy says: S/He, the one who dominates all Dothrakis and known world, which is exactly what Dany is already doing, unless they are not aware of what is happening in SB, which I doubt.

Ironic, considering MMD's words: "The stallion who mounts the world will burn no cities now". Well, the deaths of Rhaego and Drogo was what set up Dany's path. Dany already conquered three cities (with sacking and burning included) in order to liberate slaves, exactly what she tried to do to MMD and she paid her with blood and betrayal. Heh.

Well, that's the problem with trying to avert a prophecy. The means you employ can end up fulfilling the prophecy. Mirri killed Rhaego to prevent him from burning cities in the future, and put in motion a train of events that will result in Dany doing much the same (even if she doesn't enslave their inhabitants). The Stallion That Mounts the World will free slaves, but will still sack and burn cities, and leave pyramids of skulls in her wake.

Well, what a stallion mounting something means is that he gets up on the back of a mare and copulates. A better interpretation is that the "stallion" leads the Dothraki out of their homeland to rape the world. It'a consistent with the actions of both stallions and Dothraki.

Well, that's the problem with trying to avert a prophecy. The means you employ can end up fulfilling the prophecy. Mirri killed Rhaego to prevent him from burning cities in the future, and put in motion a train of events that will result in Dany doing much the same (even if she doesn't enslave their inhabitants). The Stallion That Mounts the World will free slaves, but will still sack and burn cities, and leave pyramids of skulls in her wake.

In a way, the Stallion prophecy would be a good example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. And what MMD is very similar to the story of Oedipus. In the greek story king Laius abandons his son to die, to avoid a prophecy that his child will one day kill him. The very act of abandoning him starts a series of events that eventually leads to Oedipus killing his father.

So MMD did exactly the same thing. She kills Rhaego, thinking that the prophecy would be avoided. But what she didn't take into account was that her murder might have been the trigger needed for the Stallion to emerge.

Suppose we think of the actual function of a stallion. A stallion "impregnates", so suppose we think of this symbolically. Suppose in this case a stallion impregnates the world with a new idea - that people are meant to be free and that slavery must be abolished. In this case Dany is definitively the stallion that mounts the world.

Khal Drogo received a hefty bribe from the magisters of Pentos.

I should think it likely that other towns and villages paid protection money.

Oh for sure, Pentos gave him a 9-Tower manse just to appease him. ANd that is on top of the mansion he has in Vaes Dothrak. The Dothraki have plenty of ways to create profit for themselves.

I was thinking about that last night, you think the house in Pentos belongs to Dany now, and the one in Vaes Dothrak?

Oh for sure, Pentos gave him a 9-Tower manse just to appease him. ANd that is on top of the mansion he has in Vaes Dothrak. The Dothraki have plenty of ways to create profit for themselves.

I was thinking about that last night, you think the house in Pentos belongs to Dany now, and the one in Vaes Dothrak?

Probably, yes. But, the point is moot, as she'll take anything she wants.

Drogon is an animal. He can't lead a group of people.

Thinking that Drogon is the stallion that mounts the world is one of the most racist/orientalist theories floating about in this fandom, and it's obviously pretty sexist too.

Take a look at the prophecy and then switch the "he" pronouns to "she", and it quite clearly references Daenerys.

Thanks for your post, it's been a long time since I last saw people being called sexist (or worse, racist!) for not being pro-Dany.

I just don't discard the first possibility because it was thought TSWMTW would be her son and she is the Mother of Dragons. And my thoughts about Dany are nowhere near sexist.

Come on, guys! It can't be Drogon. The full text of the prophecy is:

As swift as the wind he rides, and behind him his khalasar covers the earth, men without number, with arakhs shining in their hands like blades of razor grass. Fierce as a storm this prince will be. His enemies will tremble before him, and their wives will weep tears of blood and rend their flesh in grief. The bells in his hair will sing his coming, and the milk men in the stone tents will fear his name. The prince is riding, and he shall be the stallion who mounts the world.

Drogon can't lead a khalasar, as much as horse can't do it either. He's also not a prince and he can't wear bells in his hair. That's the khal's thing. The prophecy clearly speaks about a person, not a dragon.

Think about it this way: in the real world, who leads an army? A general, or the general's car or his gun?

Thanks for your post, it's been a long time since I last saw people being called sexist (or worse, racist!) for not being pro-Dany.

I just don't discard the first possibility because it was thought TSWMTW would be her son and she is the Mother of Dragons. And my thoughts about Dany are nowhere near sexist.

Thinking an animal is more likely to lead hundreds of thousands of people than a woman seems to come from a pretty sexist place to me, and I think it's pretty racist to think the Dothraki will bow to an animal.

Yes, the stallion was SUPPOSED to be her son. But her son DIED, and she became a khaleesi with her own khalasar. Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion don't have a khalasar, and they never will. Come on, it really is THAT simple.

Come on, guys! It can't be Drogon. The full text of the prophecy is:

As swift as the wind he rides, and behind him his khalasar covers the earth, men without number, with arakhs shining in their hands like blades of razor grass. Fierce as a storm this prince will be. His enemies will tremble before him, and their wives will weep tears of blood and rend their flesh in grief. The bells in his hair will sing his coming, and the milk men in the stone tents will fear his name. The prince is riding, and he shall be the stallion who mounts the world.

Drogon can't lead a khalasar, as much as horse can't do it either. He's also not a prince and he can't wear bells in his hair. That's the khal's thing. The prophecy clearly speaks about a person, not a dragon.

Think about it this way: in the real world, who leads an army? A general, or the general's car or his gun?

Exactly. Just switch "he" to "she" in that passage and it quite clearly prophesises Daenerys. "Fierce as a storm" is the big give away.

^It really is that simple. Not sure why this is such a big debate. Other than people hating Daenerys and not wanting her to be important in anyway that is.

Quite so. You don't have to like Dany to recognise that she's going to play a very important part in the story.

In fact, judging by the quote given by Patrick Stormborn, above, The Stallion Who Mounts the World may not be a very nice person at all. Or at any rate, a person who is loathed by millions (even if she's adored by other millions).

Archived