I don't understand this younger generation...

MisterOJ

My 10 year old daughter loves the minecraft videos as well - she watches the Stampy Longhead dude all the time. She uses my youtube account, so every so often I see a new subscription to some toy unboxing vidoes (mostly shopkins related). Also, my watch history is full of her videos, so I can never find anything of my own that I want to re-watch. All I see are these &*$^*^$)&# games and toys videos.

Why can't she watch the truly important and meaningful stuff like Tabletop, Geek & Sundry, and Shut Up & Sit Down?

Is funny when Little Jax stumbles across toy reviews in Japanese though!

My little grandbuddy Wiley ( will be 5yr in May)LOVES watching the youtube videos. So much so, that his parents will have to hid the IPAD. The Disney Toy one, anything that has to do with cars racing or trains. There's one with an old guy just taking trains out of the package and explaining what each one is, how it works, the condition of the train car etc. He'll watch it over and over.

And he loves some Japanese anime dinosaur cartoon.---- Now that is hysterical. As some of you know he's had some serious health issues which has led to some speech delays, complicated by his fat tongue.....In the last 3-4 months he's begun "parroting" ( RAhhhHH..crowd goes wild).....he hard to understand when speaking English and hearing him trying to sing the song in Japanese and repeating the dinosaur names is just a crack-up!

There are certainly some pro's and cons..but it is amazing the things he is learning just from watching these videos.

Or that someone could make so much money from making videos opening toys:

http://fox8.com/2015/01/19/who-knew-highest-youtube-earner-makes-nearly-5-million-by-opening-disney-toys/

The entire framework for the internet is based on cat videos, so I'm not sure why watching anything on youtube would be baffling to anyone.

:agree:

I am older (early 40s) and admit that I watched a few hours of Let's play to pick up some tricks and strategies for Civilization IV (although I have no inclination to play on deity level). But I did feel weird at first and if there's a thing even more ridiculous than wasting time playing videogames oneself, it is probably watching other people play...

You want to see something even weirder, watch "The Couch" on Bravo TV. It's just people watching TV shows and making lame comments on them.

(Okay, I admit I am occasionally amused by it. :blush:)

I know exactly what you are talking about. My kids do it too. I'll be walking past there bedroom and hear some weird guy screaming "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD" and I'll go in there and they are watching some annoying dude freaking out while he plays Minecraft. It's not a demo video, or a how to play video. It seems like more of a comedy thing than anything else. I think. Super weird.

I threw out the the television when my son was around 5 and did not permit unlocked internet in the house until he made "A Facebook" at some other person's house. Many of you know the story of how well my wonderful, rigid parenting turned out.

Good Luck Mr. OJ. My son's hobbies still don't travel down the darker paths of the inertubes. I wish they did.

Your daughter seems to have crossed the threshold I did with my own dad. We programmed my C64 together. When I found Zork and my first BBS rooms he was totally lost. To this day I am no sure why he kept buying modems, maybe I don't want to know.

"The Computer Time" was something I grew up with. What I remember is my dad being super excited about programming a new game for me or me getting help with one I was trying to copy out of Compute! magazine. We played some games, talked a little about code and he left me in the basement. I remember when he found a beta version of JumpMan on floppy. He became the coolest dad IN THE HISTORY OF DADS. I also put him to sleep on a weekly basis when I was older telling him about my new dungeon when I found D&D.

I think it's great that you're trying. My dad did. He was able to understand enough to support my hobbies later (endlessly upgraded modems vs. piano lessons). Even if you're bored, keep watching sometimes. Imagine watching your daughter playing a text based RPG.

My son's hobbies have always been more social and gregarious. He does music, theater, production. Without an outlet, he produces a great deal of drama.on his own. He needs a great deal of attention. SO MUCH MORE than I did. This is the thing about kids these days that I don't understand. They have the same human genes as the rest of us, they are "adults". Yet without 4-6 hours of adult supervision per day, they are lost. His friends are the same way. When they come over they spend half of their time bothering the adults that live here. I spent most of my youth HIDING from adults. Fkn kids!

Oh! As nosy as my son has always been about my private life, he hasn't found this place. Heeh (moms are sneaky) heehehe

• 1 month later...

Gosh, so there are other kids also who're onto this Minecraft video thing! So glad I came across this. Let me assure you - you're not the only one having what you call a 'head-scratching moment'. My son (he's eleven) and his gang of pals also bring out hysterical bouts of laughter over these YouTube minecraft videos. In the beginning, I was extremely curious and tried watching some of the videos myself but found nothing funny whatsoever in them (and I watched more than one, just to make sure). In fact, frankly speaking, most of them were quite lame. The kids also do several other weird things. When we were their age, I remember spending most of our time playing outdoors with friends in the neighborhood but they seem to be just the opposite. More often than not, I find them spending their evenings in their room playing games involving virtual pets or even sprawled out in the kitchen, glued to their tablets (that is but obvious, isn't it) playing some random football game. Or else, of course, these Minecraft videos we've been talking about recently, among other equally lame animated videos. Is this what we call the 'generation gap'? I don't understand why they do certain stuff and I'm pretty sure they reciprocate the feeling.

So, I'm having my first big head-scratching "I don't understand this generation" moment with my 10-year-old daughter. She (and several of her friends, apparently) are really into watching Minecraft videos on Youtube. For those of you who are as ignorant as I am, these are just videos (some quite long) of folks playing Minecraft with silly commentary. She will watch these in the evening on her tablet and just giggle and giggle. I've watched some with her and... I just don't get it. At all.

Is this a widespread thing, or just something her little subset of friends has latched on to?

It's a thing. My 5 year old got me hooked on Minecraft and I can't stop. I have a lot of fun playing, designing, and building with my kids on Minecraft. We watch a lot of those videos, but mostly it's to figure out how to build stuff or sometimes, just to see what other people have come up with. Should I be ashamed? :leaving: I think it's really a great game for kids (and adults too), compared to most other stuff out there these days.

It's a thing. My 5 year old got me hooked on Minecraft and I can't stop. I have a lot of fun playing, designing, and building with my kids on Minecraft. We watch a lot of those videos, but mostly it's to figure out how to build stuff or sometimes, just to see what other people have come up with. Should I be ashamed? :leaving: I think it's really a great game for kids (and adults too), compared to most other stuff out there these days.

It is a great game. The thing that just bumfuzzles me is how my 10-year-old would rather watch the videos than play the game. I swear, her ration of playing to watching others play via the videos is like 1:10 or something. It's nuts. And she's not really watching to get ideas, but just to see all the silly things the guys playing do. It's so weird.

It is a great game. The thing that just bumfuzzles me is how my 10-year-old would rather watch the videos than play the game. I swear, her ration of playing to watching others play via the videos is like 1:10 or something. It's nuts. And she's not really watching to get ideas, but just to see all the silly things the guys playing do. It's so weird.

When I was a kid I used to like to watch people play video games but then again that was in an arcade and I was out of quarters. If I had money I would play my own damn game.

When I was a kid I used to like to watch people play video games but then again that was in an arcade and I was out of quarters. If I had money I would play my own damn game.

I did the same. But, it was never as fun watching someone else play. For me, I always felt like the whole point of video games was to be an active participant.

I did the same. But, it was never as fun watching someone else play. For me, I always felt like the whole point of video games was to be an active participant.

I agree...except for one exception. I had this older teenage friend (one of those cool older guys that didn't look down on and bully younger kids) who was so good at Defender that he was just fascinating to watch. Sometimes he'd have so many credits racked up that he'd have me take over to just basically hold the game while he took a break, got something to eat, etc. and then he'd come back and pick it up again. That was awesome! But not really because of the game - it was awesome to be recognized/befriended by an older kid who everyone liked :D

In those days in my home town there was always plenty of bullying going on (being ignored was about the best one could hope for) but he showed us a good example of how things could/should be. After we'd all gotten older my younger cousins and other kids told me they always appreciated how I would take the time to talk with them and, of course, that I didn't pick on them. Turns out that learning to play Defender a little bit better wasn't nearly the most important lesson I was learning in that arcade ;)

Yeah that ratio does seem a bit... odd. My boys aren't old enough to have figured out youtube yet, luckily.

Now I know we made a good call not to allow our girls anywhere near computer for any other reason than watching photos or videos we made. Thanks to that they're happily oblivious of the existence of Minecraft, not to mention Minecraft videos. And the older one is nine, mind you. I much prefer when she rides her bike, or just hang out with friends, than if she'd spent hours before the screen.

Now I know we made a good call not to allow our girls anywhere near computer for any other reason than watching photos or videos we made. Thanks to that they're happily oblivious of the existence of Minecraft, not to mention Minecraft videos. And the older one is nine, mind you. I much prefer when she rides her bike, or just hang out with friends, than if she'd spent hours before the screen.

I'm curious how they aren't exposed to these things through their friends, school, etc.? Speaking only for myself, just because I let my boys do these things doesn't mean they're doing it for hours and hours on end and don't also spend a good amount of time outside when the weather permits. Minecraft has been one of our things over the winter, and some of the things my 5 year old has designed has really astonished me. Some may disagree, but I find the game to be extremely educational. It inadvertently teaches things like risk/reward, resource management (which easily translates to money management), basic physics, reading, math, and so on. Not to mention the amount of creativity that is possible.

I'm curious how they aren't exposed to these things through their friends, school, etc.?

You know, we don't go nuts about them never using computers or anything, so sometimes it happens of course. But only occasionally. They both go to waldorf school, which put an emphasis on youngsters not being exposed to electronic media if possible. They don't have phones or tablets, they don't play video games. Nor does majority of their friends. They don't watch much TV, except at granny's. If they don't use it frequently, they don't crave for using it, I observe. It'll change eventually of course, but not just yet.

Side effect of not being used to electronic media is that they simply adore TV or Internet commercials, when they happen to see'em. :)

In my school if someone doesn't have Facebook and mobile he may have problems with studying and everything... we have electronical register, homeworks often require on-line reasearch, IT , Prezi presentations are common and I even di gymnasial project online ( blog for young English learners ).

I spend much time working with computers ( writing essays and working on my novel ) and online.

In modern school it's impossible to have good marks without Internet.

That's discriminating some poorer people who don't have computer and Internet...

Also, if we are talking about Minecraft I reccomend Westeros Craft.

They've done awesome things:

WesterosCraft Walks: The Eyrie Part 1 (The Bloody…: http://youtu.be/S-bsuvYag0o

snip

Side effect of not being used to electronic media is that they simply adore TV or Internet commercials, when they happen to see'em. :)

Cool beans, was just curious. :) I try to keep an all things in moderation approach... sometimes with more success than others.

Archived