Anonymous v ISIS

Fragile Bird

OAFK,

Because De Gaulle and his forces spent the war running and cowering in fear right beside the French Resistance, right?

Doesn't even really have anything to do with De Gaulle. France's army was destroyed and the Germans were marching into Paris, so they surrendered. Not much else they could have done at that point.

It's just too bad they weren't brave enough to have a sea between themselves and Germany.

Doesn't even really have anything to do with De Gaulle. France's army was destroyed and the Germans were marching into Paris, so they surrendered. Not much else they could have done at that point.

It's just too bad they weren't brave enough to have a sea between themselves and Germany.

Considering historical precedence that probably wouldn't have helped had the German Navy been able to compete with the British Navy.

Agree on this.

Let's make a list of who in mainland Europe hasn't had their army destroyed and their capitol marched into?

1. Soviet Union

Seems awfully short, doesn't it?

Back to the topic, I can't see what Anonymous could do that would significantly aid efforts against ISIS.

The only useful thing I can think of is tracking their funding and broadcasting that info and/or getting evidence of it to the UN or whoever's jurisdiction it would fall under.

Other than that, it's good PR for Anonymous and not much more.

So nothing but a feel good exercise? :)

I think many of us see what's going on in Syria and Iraq and we wish we could do something. ISIS has been fantastic with social media, they make, for example, the attempts of the US armed forces to use social media look sophomoric. Less than that, kindergarten-ish. So if you are a hacker, and want to contribute any way you can, disrupting their social media networks looks like a reasonable response.

And whether or not those networks should stay up to gain information....well, I'm sure they won't get everything.

Agree on this.

Let's make a list of who in mainland Europe hasn't had their army destroyed and their capitol marched into?

1. Soviet Union

And that was pretty close. Just how close is an argument for a different thread.

On topic: This xkcd seems relevant.

So nothing but a feel good exercise? :)

I think many of us see what's going on in Syria and Iraq and we wish we could do something. ISIS has been fantastic with social media, they make, for example, the attempts of the US armed forces to use social media look sophomoric. Less than that, kindergarten-ish. So if you are a hacker, and want to contribute any way you can, disrupting their social media networks looks like a reasonable response.

And whether or not those networks should stay up to gain information....well, I'm sure they won't get everything.

Kind of a minor disruption. But hey, somewhere out there an ISIS webmaster is having a mildly unpleasant day.

Hey, hacking is a new battlefield weapon.

Newsweek was hacked this morning, by the CyberCaliphate, who have hacked other media pages and a US military twitter feed, and Malaysian Airlines. They have a facebook page, and a motto. Their motto is Je suIS IS.

And I see Delta Airlines just reported being hacked.

Agree on this.

1. Soviet Union

Back to the topic, I can't see what Anonymous could do that would significantly aid efforts against ISIS.

The only useful thing I can think of is tracking their funding and broadcasting that info and/or getting evidence of it to the UN or whoever's jurisdiction it would fall under.

Other than that, it's good PR for Anonymous and not much more.

Switzerland too.

Nope I am a simple man who is literate and has seen a history book

If you had opened that history book and read it, you would have realized how wrong you are. The French have had one of the longest running and most powerful militaries in the history of the world. Hell, they even helped us win our independence. Yeah, they've had a few blunders, their history is full of highs and lows like any other. I do know a few people who spent some time in Afghanistan and did some work with the French units over there and had nothing but great things to say about them.

That's less clear cut than it sounds. Many intelligence analysts argue that having ISIS's online community out in the open is more useful for information gathering and analysis than were it to be driven underground.

Regardless, horn-blowing doofuses like the people who call themselves Anonymous do not bother with questions like this. They're in it to feel like heroes and once they've declared victory over some message boards and exposed some basement-dwelling cyberjihadis it'll be on to something else.

That concerned was immediately expressed by the French authorities when several sites under surveilance were taken down by Anonymous members in the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo attacks. They complained about suddenly going dark and having to lose time rediscovering their online presence again.

All the while another group of hackers calling themselves Anonymous have launched an attack against French websites, because of said journal.

"Anonymous" isn't one organised movement with a set of coherent goals or ideas. It's just about whatever some people calling themselves that have decided to do at some point.

Yeah, Anonymous has a tremendous track record. Watch out ISIS, or you'll go the way of the Church of Scientology, Sony and Mastercard!

Or drug cartels...

[sCENE: ISIS HQ Bunker, somewhere in Sykes-Picot. A meeting is on.]

BAGHDADI: ...so I don't think we will be following that advice: our oil output is too big and my arse is too small. Anything else?

ISIS COMMANDER: My Caliph, the news from the capital is grim. The Crusader-Safavid alliance draws closer and a long siege looms-

A DIFFERENT ISIS COMMANDER: Your Caliphness, the atheist Kurds sweep out from Kobani, our loyal brothers weep for their losses and unrest grows in the ranks-

BAGHDADI: Anyone got some good news for your Caliph? Brighten up my day a little?

ANOTHER ISIS COMMANDER: uh, well the strategic withdrawal from all of Northwest Syria isn't going too bad? Sure we're abandoning major strongholds to the apostates and Nusra-

COMMANDERS: Splitters!

THE COMMANDER FROM BEFORE: indeed, uh but the reserves should be freed up within weeks for our secret plan to-

[Loud footsteps and panting are heard. Enter MESSENGER]

MESSENGER: O, my Caliph! Brothers! A catastrophe-

BAGHDADI: Did you not read the memo? The word is 'catastro-tunity'.

MESSENGER: Forgive me, your Rolex-ness, but we are undone! Hordes of scr1ptkiddies DDoS our BBSs, and woe, our twitter fanbois are doxxed. All crumbles before the mighty LOIC!

BAGHDADI: øh n0es!

COMMANDERS: Everybody panic!

[END SCENE]

This is amazing.

As a way to keep themselves busy, though, being a minor irritant to ISIS seems like a good use of Anonymous' time.

Archived