Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 3: Not Dead After All

felice

Considering, among other things, what Marvel is paying RDJ, I don't think Charlize Theron would be out of their price range if they truly wanted her.

I'd imagine what Marvel is paying RDJ is a big part of why they won't want to be paying Charlize Theron money.

I'd imagine what Marvel is paying RDJ is a big part of why they won't want to be paying Charlize Theron money.

Yeah, let's remember that Marvel is notoriously cheap. RDJ is the guy they hired for less then he ended up being worth who then basically told all the other actors to demand more money because they are the biggest part of the brand that Marvel is selling. And now makes way more money.

Exactly. RDJR gets paid as much as the other avengers combined. Not sure how it played out through phase 2 but he still made a hell of a lot more. Now that Marvel knows it's the brand that sells and not the actor, it makes sense to cast relative unkowns or actors willing to work for less (the other avengers have made more on non-marvel films thanks to exposure)

Exactly. RDJR gets paid as much as the other avengers combined. Not sure how it played out through phase 2 but he still made a hell of a lot more. Now that Marvel knows it's the brand that sells and not the actor, it makes sense to cast relative unkowns or actors willing to work for less (the other avengers have made more on non-marvel films thanks to exposure)

I actually think that this is faulty thinking. I think that the marvel movies make as much money as they do, and are as good as they are because of the skill and name of the actors. An Iron Man reboot without RDJ would almost inevitably flop in the box office right now. Also, just going by box office numbers, any movie starring Downey makes more than the $40 million more that he commands in comparison to the other movies. 5 of the top six highest grossing Disney  Marvel movies star RDJR. What is the movie not on that list? The fifth highest grossing Disney Marvel movie is Guardians of the Galaxy starring Chris Pratt. His two movies in the last year have earned billions of dollars and counting.

I think that Marvel will find the right person for the role, and pay them according to what the box office numbers indicate. If that is Theron, then so be it.

The Captain Marvel movie is slated to come out in 2018. Theron looks gorgeous and a fantastic actoress. But she is already pushing 40, imo she may be too old. Emily Blunt who is several years younger (she is 32 at the moment) is probably a better choice. Blunt was born to play this role. Her performance in Edge of tomorrow should make the perfect audition tape.

I actually think that this is faulty thinking. I think that the marvel movies make as much money as they do, and are as good as they are because of the skill and name of the actors. An Iron Man reboot without RDJ would almost inevitably flop in the box office right now. Also, just going by box office numbers, any movie starring Downey makes more than the $40 million more that he commands in comparison to the other movies. 5 of the top six highest grossing Disney  Marvel movies star RDJR. What is the movie not on that list? The fifth highest grossing Disney Marvel movie is Guardians of the Galaxy starring Chris Pratt. His two movies in the last year have earned billions of dollars and counting.

I think that Marvel will find the right person for the role, and pay them according to what the box office numbers indicate. If that is Theron, then so be it.

I think they kind of lucked out the first time around by getting RJD on the cheap when his career was on the rocks. Seeing as how the first Iron Man movie was more or less the bedrock foundation for everything that's come after, it's kind of set the tone for them hiring talent on the cheap. Given that they now have to pay RJD top dollar, why not use relative unknowns to fill out the roster? Like you mentioned above, you can't switch him out for someone else at this point.

They cast Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange, he was the highest paid actor in the world last year.  I don't think salary is going to be a sticking point if they decide they want someone.

I'm gonna say that I seriously doubt that.

Thinking about it they may hire Theron or someone on her level on the basis that Downey won't be around forever (I doubt he'll stay past Infinity Gauntlet), and another name to replace the kick he gives might be warranted, but I don't think so.

Thinking about it they may hire Theron or someone on her level on the basis that Downey won't be around forever (I doubt he'll stay past Infinity Gauntlet), and another name to replace the kick he gives might be warranted, but I don't think so.

Yeah maybe not the highest, I forget where I read that.  he is up there though.

He is not up there. He is not even on the top ten among the (male) movie actors according to Forbes.

OK, I'm wrong I guess.  I read somewhere he earned a lot during that stretch where he was in the hobbit / star trek / imitation game.

OK, I'm wrong I guess.  I read somewhere he earned a lot during that stretch where he was in the hobbit / star trek / imitation game.

I remember reading something like this, that when you put all the movies he made (were released) last year, he was the highest paid.

Though would his 3-4 movies really earn more than Tom Cruise's 1 (Edge of Tomorrow)?

I remember reading something like this, that when you put all the movies he made (were released) last year, he was the highest paid.
I think it's like Samuel L Jackson - he  wasn't the highest paid, but he was in the movies that made the most revenue last year. 

Though would his 3-4 movies really earn more than Tom Cruise's 1 (Edge of Tomorrow)?

I find it unlikely. I can't imagine he was paid a huge amount for The Hobbit, he did some voice acting (and motion capture) for about 20-30 minutes of film. The only other films he was in last year were another voice performance in [i]Penguins of Madagascar[/i] and [i]The Imitation Game[/i] which wasn't a big budget movie.

I think they kind of lucked out the first time around by getting RJD on the cheap when his career was on the rocks. Seeing as how the first Iron Man movie was more or less the bedrock foundation for everything that's come after, it's kind of set the tone for them hiring talent on the cheap. Given that they now have to pay RJD top dollar, why not use relative unknowns to fill out the roster? Like you mentioned above, you can't switch him out for someone else at this point.

Here is my point... RDJ movies make far in excess more than what they are paying him when compared to other Marvel movies. The studio is making far better money having him than if they were to not have him. It doesn't matter what he is making, or what he made in the past, Disney would hire him again in a minute and not regret the decision in the least. His movies draw at the box office because he is RDJ. 

The same can be said of any actor with a draw including Charlize Theron. Marvel will pay anyone what they are worh at the box office and not bat an eye because they know that not only will the movie they are making be better, but it will also make more money.

RDJ is not going anywhere until these movies start to slip away at the box office. He will keep taking $40-$50 million a year because why would he not do so?

Are we forgetting that Theron is a woman and would get paid less on principle? I can't see her being head and shoulders higher pay wise than Scarlett Johansson is although it is a starring role not supporting.

Theron's latest takes have been in the $10 million range. I think she would command significantly more in a Marvel movie, but certainly the box office takes would justify spending the money. Johansson reportedly took in $20 million for her role in the last Avengers film which I believe is the highest pay for a female role in movie history.

edited to say that I lefty out that it is bullshit that female actors don't make as much as their male counterparts when factoring in their box office draw.

RDJ is not going anywhere until these movies start to slip away at the box office. He will keep taking $40-$50 million a year because why would he not do so?

Coz by the time IG2 rolls around he'll have been doing this for more than a decade almost without pause and might be beginning to get bored? He almost quit after Avengers 2 already; they had to give him a much bigger than planned role in Cap 3 to keep him interested.

Yes, exactly.

Specifically Marvel tries (or tried initially) to cast people who they won't have to pay a ton of money. But RDJ got his salary upped by alot because he knows that he is the brand now. RDJ IS Ironman. That gives him alot of leverage.

Given the Cumberbatch casting they might be expanding their horizons these days now that the MCU is established, but that's gonna be a Phase 3 thing. Phase 1 and 2 were "Who can we get that's good but doesn't cost much?". And I don't think Cumberbatch is a huge cost, though higher then like Pratt was when they cast him for GotG.

Archived