If Stannis was Aware of Daenerys...

exigez

He would cut off his own hand for having overreached himself.

OR...

Like the other times when he conveniently forgets duty on behalf of ambition, he'll do that. In a book filled with 3D characters, I don't understand why people want to turn Stannis into this one dimensional duty robot. He's not that, nor ever has been. He talks about what others owe him a thousand times more often than he talks about what he owes others.

If he wants Targaryens on Throne, why did he rebell against them?

Also, he probably knows something about her. He has sellswords from Free Cities and Sallador Saan.

I went a bit ahead with my thinking. Personally I believe Dany will succeed at taking the throne. At that point grumpy but righteous Stannis will understand her point of view and bend the knee.

If/when Dany invades Stannis will want her captured alive for the King's blood, that is all. He does not see Targs as rightful monarchs, their rule was ended in battle, just as their rule started in battle. The only way Dany or (f)Aegon can claim the throne is through conquest.

It's something of a Rorschach test for the fandom:

People who like Stannis or believe the best of him think he may consider, compromise, maybe even submit

People who don't just think he will at best simply refuse to compromise and at worst charge his horse down a dragon's mouth

Many people point out "Robert was the last thing, therefor he has best claim blablabla".. Yeah, sure you may make that argument, of coure as you are all aware of there are many arguments against this. Its not black on white. So to answer your question, sure. Stannis might give up his claim to the throne for Dany.. He had a hard time rebelling against the Targs in the first place- so sure. If I believe he will? Naah, he probably sees himself as the rightful king- but I think he'd have a hard time to choose, especially if he finds her to be a decent ruler.

Many people point out "Robert was the last thing, therefor he has best claim blablabla".. Yeah, sure you may make that argument, of coure as you are all aware of there are many arguments against this. Its not black on white. So to answer your question, sure. Stannis might give up his claim to the throne for Dany.. He had a hard time rebelling against the Targs in the first place- so sure. If I believe he will? Naah, he probably sees himself as the rightful king- but I think he'd have a hard time to choose, especially if he finds her to be a decent ruler.

I think this is closest to my feelings.

He would cut off his own hand for having overreached himself.

OR...

Like the other times when he conveniently forgets duty on behalf of ambition, he'll do that. In a book filled with 3D characters, I don't understand why people want to turn Stannis into this one dimensional duty robot. He's not that, nor ever has been. He talks about what others owe him a thousand times more often than he talks about what he owes others.

Would this case really be a case of forsaking duty for ambition? I know Dany has a claim, but are you honestly saying Stannis' duty here is to give up his own claim and kneel to Dany?

Would this case really be a case of forsaking duty for ambition? I know Dany has a claim, but are you honestly saying Stannis' duty here is to give up his own claim and kneel to Dany?

Not especially. I was just running with the OP's hypothetical.

But I could argue that his duty is to Tommen, and was to Joff.

Not especially. I was just running with the OP's hypothetical.

But I could argue that his duty is to Tommen, and was to Joff.

Well, he did know (or believe) that Cersei's kids were illegitimate. I suppose you could say that he only believed it because of his ambition, but then Jon Arryn also believed it.

If Stannis was ever to bend the knee then Dany would be the person: she has a blood claim that goes back further than his own, her birth is not in question, and because she is not part of the Baratheon line of succession Stannis is not allowing another Baratheon to jump over him in the line of succession. As head of house Baratheon it is his choice to give up the Baratheon claim to the throne if he wants to.

Saying that I don't think Stannis will ever bend the knee, he will almost certainly die a king, whether it is in TWOW(let's hope not), ADOS, or 20 years after the series ends.

Stannis holed himself up in Storm's End for about a year, eating rats and waiting for Mr. Onion, to get a Targaryen off the Throne.

As far as he's concerned, King Aerys renounced the Targaryen family's claim to the throne by being a tyrannical madman.

Well, he did know (or believe) that Cersei's kids were illegitimate. I suppose you could say that he only believed it because of his ambition, but then Jon Arryn also believed it.

No, I think there's a difference between opinion and fact. An unproven/unprovable opinion that just happens to make you King is a terrible basis for breaking the law/your duty. I don't think he only believed it because of his ambition, but I think ambition filled in a lot of the space between suspicion and certainty.

Just think about how it would sound if we didn't have POV on the twincest/Cersei's admission. Well, that's all Stannis has.

Oh, and we know Jon Arryn was very suspicious, but we don't know if he was certain, and he had done a lot more homework on the issue than Stannis had.

Stannis has the right of conquest, therefore Dany's claim doesn't mean nothing to him

But the Baratheon´s were chosen to rule because they had Targ blood. So obviously Targ blood trumps conquest?

Stannis has the right of conquest, therefore Dany's claim doesn't mean nothing to him

Actually, the right of conquest is that one right that Stannis certainly does not possess. Unless we're talking about Torrhen's Square, not the Seven Kingdoms. Stannis derives his claim to the Iron Throne from blood relation to a previous (by now, pre-pre-previous) king, and any royal asskicking he received in a decisive battle for the crown, just like oaths of fealty from lords of the realm collected by the dirty unlawful winner, should be disregarded, because that's simply fucking unfair.

Which is, liek, totally different from the Targaryen claim to the Iron Throne. For some reason. Ours is the fury!

But the Baratheon´s were chosen to rule because they had Targ blood. So obviously Targ blood trumps conquest?

Yes, you're right. Robert's Targaryen heritage was the most important factor in his obtaining the crown. In fact, it was so important that Robert basically affirmed Dany's rights to the throne over his own. That's exactly what he meant to do when he claimed the throne based on his Targaryen heritage.

I suspect that Daenerys will take Stannis's support from him, assuming he defeats Roose, and Davos recovers Rickon and Wyman honors his pledge. We know that the North fought on the black side in the Dance of Dragons. And I seem to recall an SSM where the George said the North tended to be loyalist after Torrhen knelt. We know that Daenerys is going to slay the lie that is Stannis or his claim. Perhaps Drogon will remove Stannis and Daenerys will claim Stannis's northmen at the Trident the way Stannis claimed Renly's forces at Storm's End.

Archived