Will Dany become mad?

Seaworth'sShipmate

I don't think there is any evidence suggesting Aerys as a schizo, unlike Dany. Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean your son, wife and lords aren't plotting and your house hold guard isn't the kingslayer.

The tourney at harrenhall was orchestrated by aerys' enemies for Aerys enemies. The laughing tree was very strange.

I'm not sure about his mood swings or this tunnel. (Tunnel sounds cool!)

Everyone was plotting against him.

Dany thinks walking into fire will create dragons, for all we know Aerys was right.

He was rightfully paranoid, he had anger issues and was more then kinky in bed. Not the greatest sounding guy ever, but not crazy. Aerys the Mad King is baratheon propaganda

I don't think there is any evidence suggesting Aerys as a schizo, unlike Dany. Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean your son, wife and lords aren't plotting and your house hold guard isn't the kingslayer.

The tourney at harrenhall was orchestrated by aerys' enemies for Aerys enemies. The laughing tree was very strange.

I'm not sure about his mood swings or this tunnel. (Tunnel sounds cool!)

Everyone was plotting against him.

Dany thinks walking into fire will create dragons, for all we know Aerys was right.

He was rightfully paranoid, he had anger issues and was more then kinky in bed. Not the greatest sounding guy ever, but not crazy. Aerys the Mad King is baratheon propaganda

That might be the worst reading of a character I've ever seen.

Also I had no idea Jaime was such a large proprietor of Baratheon propaganda...

Seriously. I dont know if that was a joke or a serious statement. Just....wow. Even the biggest Dany "haters" on this forum, would say that her father was stone cold- bat shit-his cheese has slid off his cracker-fucking insane.

Jaime has every reason to despise Aerys, but I don't remember Jaime ever calling Aerys mad. When Brienne says Robert rode to save the Realm, Jaime laughed

Seriously. I dont know if that was a joke or a serious statement. Just....wow. Even the biggest Dany "haters" on this forum, would say that her father was stone cold- bat shit-his cheese has slid off his cracker-fucking insane.

I ain't no Dany hater.

No doubt Aerys was cruel and evil. But insane is not the same. Targaryens are not normal. Some don't burn some see prophecies some have a instant connection with dragons. I refuse to belive Dany the slave killer is mentally unstable because she seeks vengeance for children who died because of her. Just as I believe that little Egg grown up will make a responsible decision in summerhall. So naturally I mistrust the word of Robert, the man who pardoned Aegon and his sisters killers; the man who justifies murdering Viserys and pregnant dany

Jaime has every reason to despise Aerys, but I don't remember Jaime ever calling Aerys mad. When Brienne says Robert rode to save the Realm, Jaime laughed I ain't no Dany hater.

No doubt Aerys was cruel and evil. But insane is not the same. Targaryens are not normal. Some don't burn some see prophecies some have a instant connection with dragons. I refuse to belive Dany the slave killer is mentally unstable because she seeks vengeance for children who died because of her. Just as I believe that little Egg grown up will make a responsible decision in summerhall. So naturally I mistrust the word of Robert, the man who pardoned Aegon and his sisters killers; the man who justifies murdering Viserys and pregnant dany

Never said you were a Dany hater. Im saying even people on here who openly despise her and her family, agree that Aerys was mad. Sorry, but when you get sexually aroused by burning people. You aren't kinky, you have a mental illness.

And... please, do show me a Targ that doesn't burn! Ill save you the trouble, there isnt one. Even Dany was in some form, burnt post the events in the first book.

The Meereen thing is essentially okay with me. Daenerys punished war criminals. Nothing suggests that the Great Masters were not all on board with the decision to crucify the slaves. Thus they have to bear the responsibility as a collective. Dany could easily have executed all of them, really.

Mithras,

well, I don't think Dany will have the time to outdo Maegor in cruelty during the series. The man ruled for six years.

Not to mention that I don't see much time or opportunity for Dany to become a tyrant in Westeros. We don't know how many people she has reason to hate will survive the rise of Aegon VI. Both sides may do some cruel things during the Second Dance, but should she triumph over and kill Aegon, nobody in Westeros should have the strength or the spine to oppose Dany openly - which should rob her of any opportunity or pretext to become a cruel tyrant. It will be winter, and people - including she herself - will have other things to do.

Lord Hugor Lenin,

note that the question is whether Dany will go mad. Not whether she'll do cruel things. Aerys' cruelty comes from his madness/paranoia - a worsening sickness - the man was not sadistic or cruel by nature (as Maegor I and Prince Daemon).

As to Rhaenyra's 'cruelty':

We really lack textual evidence on that. She executed traitors - no big deal. But she spared both her stepmother and her half-sister. There is talk on Knights Inquisitors hunting down traitorous Greens following her rise, but we don't know who they were or what they did. Could be that some innocents suffered as well, but she did not really have the time to install a terror regime.

Rhaenyra - or any monarch - culling the ranks of untrustworthy/traitorous aristocrats does not really qualify as a terror regime. For that, the monarch also has to take on the general population full force.

The whole 'Maegor with teats' thing seems to come mainly from the fact that she raised the taxes in KL after she took the Iron Throne - which was to be expected and necessary as the Greens had hidden the treasury and she was not exactly sitting on a lot of cash on Dragonstone.

Mithras,

well, I don't think Dany will have the time to outdo Maegor in cruelty during the series. The man ruled for six years.

Not to mention that I don't see much time or opportunity for Dany to become a tyrant in Westeros. We don't know how many people she has reason to hate will survive the rise of Aegon VI. Both sides may do some cruel things during the Second Dance, but should she triumph over and kill Aegon, nobody in Westeros should have the strength or the spine to oppose Dany openly - which should rob her of any opportunity or pretext to become a cruel tyrant. It will be winter, and people - including she herself - will have other things to do.

I don't think it is a matter of time. If Dany sacks and burns Oldtown for backing fAegon, that would be a much greater damage than Maegor ever did.

Everyone assumes that people of Westeros will acknowlesge the true danger by the time Dany is done with civil wars (how fortunate!).

Well, how about Bowen Marsh. He knows the wights, he knows the Others, he knows every damn thing yet he still plays the game of thrones.

I always say that the war against the Others is like public service that every person should participate. However, this is impossible in a civil war environment. Why should Dany lift a finger for the NW if fAegon does not do the same? Why should Dany waste her troops and resources while fAegon consolidates his power and grows strong enough to wipe out the weakened Dany?

First let us see this Dance and then we can talk about whether Dany will save the world or not.

"There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs. The scent of blood is all it takes to wake him."

Let us see what will remain of Dany when she is done with Dancing.

The Meereen thing is essentially okay with me. Daenerys punished war criminals. Nothing suggests that the Great Masters were not all on board with the decision to crucify the slaves. Thus they have to bear the responsibility as a collective. Dany could easily have executed all of them, really.

Hey, as long as all the Targaryens are made to pay for Aerys, Maegor et al's crimes, then sure. Collective punishment is never justice.

Not sure why Dany should burn and sack Oldtown. The Hightowers know how to get off the hook: Just submit to the bigger dragon. There is no possible reason why they would be overly loyal to Aegon if he loses/has already lost, especially since nothing suggests that Aegon and Lord Leyton became kin through marriage.

And, honestly, we cannot compare Maegor's cruelty to anything in the series, as we don't have a detailed account of Maegor's cruelty. But Yandel suggests that he extinguished more than one noble line, which should suggests that he is really the cruelest shark in the royal pond.

The threat of the Others may or may not yet be public knowledge when Dany arrives, but it should be public knowledge if there are only two books left. It depends on when the Others make their move. If they do it in the middle of TWoW, it should be public knowledge even in the South by the end of the book, and if Dany only arrives afterwards, there should be little reason for a Second Dance. Which means we should assume that the Others only attack full force afterwards. But nothing suggests that there will be time for Dany to become a cruel tyrant after Aegon has been defeated.

We should also keep in mind that 'the Plague King' Aegon VI may not exactly become all that popular if Jon Connington infects him with greyscale, or causes a huge outbreak of the grey plague in the South. The guys may be able to hush up Connington's involvement, but a plague will cause trouble for Aegon.

I don't think it is a matter of time. If Dany sacks and burns Oldtown for backing fAegon, that would be a much greater damage than Maegor ever did.

Everyone assumes that people of Westeros will acknowlesge the true danger by the time Dany is done with civil wars (how fortunate!).

Well, how about Bowen Marsh. He knows the wights, he knows the Others, he knows every damn thing yet he still plays the game of thrones.

I always say that the war against the Others is like public service that every person should participate. However, this is impossible in a civil war environment. Why should Dany lift a finger for the NW if fAegon does not do the same? Why should Dany waste her troops and resources while fAegon consolidates his power and grows strong enough to wipe out the weakened Dany?

First let us see this Dance and then we can talk about whether Dany will save the world or not.

"There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs. The scent of blood is all it takes to wake him."

Let us see what will remain of Dany when she is done with Dancing.

Fanfiction at its finest.

Collective punishment is justice if a collective governing body or private collective agrees to commit a certain crime. Punishing all the members of this collective body is totally valid and actually done in real world justice. Say, for instance, when all crimelords collectively aware of and condoning a certain crime are held accountable.

Archived