Casting, News, and Speculation while waiting on Season 5 (Book & Show Spoilers)

Lady Fevre Dream

He says he has to start really growing it out around the end of April. Of course he could be keeping the beard to throw us off the scent but I'm confident enough he will be in S6. He also said S6 might start filming in June this year

I am very interested in learning more about this beard. I have this... thing for Davos' beard.

Who wants to bet if the audience response to the Sand Snakes is negative, that D&D will have them killed off right at the beginning of Season 6.

i would bet. D+D and Cogman pretty clearly stated two things. They are not influenced by audience responses. Writing for SS was fun and Dorne is a place they like. Additionally they proved themself that they will do whatever they think its best for their adaptation. It is pretty clear that their writing is influenced by their bias to certain book storylines and how much they like certain actors. If you think that spending next 4 months whining about Sand Snakes will have any influence on what D+D will do with them in the future, you are mistaken.

i would bet. D+D and Cogman pretty clearly stated two things. They are not influenced by audience responses. Writing for SS was fun and Dorne is a place they like.

Which is why they said that it almost was omitted from Season 5, but the popularity of Oberyn proved that they needed to explore this family more

Geez, you guys are too serious.

Which is why they said that it almost was omitted from Season 5, but the popularity of Oberyn proved that they needed to explore this family more

If they said that, I think they meant the popularity of Oberyn among the staff (or maybe among the book readers), because they started writing for season 5 before season 4 even aired, that's how they usually do it. By mid season they are already casting the new characters for the next season. They don't have the time to evaluate the opinions of the fans to include a whole new arc in the very next season.

Oberyn was a huge hit largely because of Pedro. The Sandsnakes have two major obstacles to overcome. One is just... the acting in general. Pedro really elevated that material so much, that even if the Sandsnakes are given the same quality of scripts, can they take it to near the same level? They do have great supporting actors to work with. Alexander, Indira (sp?), Nikolaj, Jerome are all excellent.

But you also have the writing, which could fall on flat if it tries to run with mini-Oberyns. Can each be distinct enough? Is one of them going to drag the others down because there just isn't enough screentime for what might turn out to be a duplication of the same character?

It's way more tricky than it might have looked. We shall see.

----

If you want to know D&D's mindset on criticism, just listen to Alliser's speech in The Watchers on the Wall to Jon. IMO, it's partially a meta-moment where they respond to criticism of leadership and direction in the face of sometimes making the wrong decisions.

Yeah, but it's the context. The "HIM" is figurative. The "HER" is a concrete person. It sounds so utterly dismissive it's... well, it's bad writing unless you want to make everyone think that Varys is an idiot (given how this speech would be superposed timewise with Dany flying).

Why does it sound dismissive?

Just soundd like emphasis on a word to my ear.

They said they wanted to include Dorne, but were not sure if its possible for logistical, budget and storytelling reasons. Yet they solved all possible problems, created third filming crew for Spain, introduced Dorne, send Jaime and Bronn there and 7 from 9 new characters revealed during Comic Con were from Dorne. So what does it tell you about their preferences?

My question is this: if they do somehow sneak Aegon, JonCon, and LSH into the show, how long do you figure it will take before the book fans freak out about how they got the characters 'wrong', or they screwed up the fan fave lines/dialogue?

You know, like the issues book fans have had with Cat, Brienne, Jaime, Cersei, Dany, etc.

I hope you mean a subset of fans because as a fan of the books and the show I don't have those issues.

Oberyn was a huge hit largely because of Pedro. The Sandsnakes have two major obstacles to overcome. One is just... the acting in general. Pedro really elevated that material so much, that even if the Sandsnakes are given the same quality of scripts, can they take it to near the same level? They do have great supporting actors to work with. Alexander, Indira (sp?), Nikolaj, Jerome are all excellent.

But you also have the writing, which could fall on flat if it tries to run with mini-Oberyns. Can each be distinct enough? Is one of them going to drag the others down because there just isn't enough screentime for what might turn out to be a duplication of the same character?

It's way more tricky than it might have looked. We shall see.

----

If you want to know D&D's mindset on criticism, just listen to Alliser's speech in The Watchers on the Wall to Jon. IMO, it's partially a meta-moment where they respond to criticism of leadership and direction in the face of sometimes making the wrong decisions.

There's also the problem that the Sand Snakes weren't great characters in the books like Oberyn was. I personally find them incredibly cheesy and annoying and I was hoping to have them cut from the show instead of Arianne. They were written as B-movie characters in the books and I expect them to be even worse in the show due to the way the film medium highlights.cheesy dialogue.

If Olenna doesn't appear until 505 presumably, why would she be a series regular if her first appearance is that late in the season. I know in Season 2, Tywin didn't appear until 4 episodes in, but he was in every episode after that. I don't think Olenna will really be featured in more than 4 episodes because in the books, she returns back to Highgarden after Tommen and Margaery's wedding, but I guess her role will be expanded based on what happens to Margaery and Loras.

That does no bother me since she has been around for 9 episodes and become integral to the show's story plot.

I do wonder what Diana Rigg's contract schedule is?

I guess they don't like her being in an episode without some kind of spoken dialog.

Tho it does not make much difference Olenna was not there for Tommen's coronation which in the story scheme of things seemed odd.

The character did explain why she was not at the trial.

Then Natalie Dormer and Finn Jones were at the trial in S4 E6 , if I remember correctly , didn't say a blessed thing.

I hope you mean a subset of fans because as a fan of the books and the show I don't have those issues.

I did mean 'book purists' in my post. My apologies for any offense, as I enjoy the show as well as the books, as well. Now that you've pointed this matter out to me, I shall edit my post for clarification. :cheers:

I am very interested in learning more about this beard. I have this... thing for Davos' beard.

He said he read the description of Davos as having a "greying beard" so he rocked up at hair and make up avec beard and he joked that he could see the crew were delighted because they had a "wall of beards" stuck up behind them and he was going to save them time ;)

I've written before that beards aren't generally my thing (but now most of those threads are gone I am free to repeat myself, suckas!...) but Liam looks great with one. I find him more handsome with the "not in filming mode yet" beard than the "actually Davos" beard but then again his wardrobe as Davos is pretty much "restyled potato sack" (and I'm CONVINCED he was sharing a robe with Selyse in S3) so that might have something to do with it.

Archived