Would a "The Targaryens" prequel TV series be a good spin off after GoT ends?

The Anti-Targ

There's plenty of material available to form the backbone of such a project, from ASIOAF backstory content, to Dunk and Egg novellas and now the WOIAF book. But not so much material that you would run into serious problems with distorting the literary canon. Not that this ever bothers people who are adapting book to screen.

There is essentially an endless scope for such a project, which means the only limit on the number of seasons is how long they can keep an audience interested. Loads of scope for even telling pre-Targaryen history via tales and flashbacks.

I think that would be awesome to see. I'm already beginning to worry about my life post ASOIAF/GoT.

Don;t worry, chances are aSoIaF will never end. GoT will, but you'll spend the rest of your days waiting for book 7.

I really think that the media future of GoT lies on the silver screen. And that way it can go either way. The movie Excalibur started a small rebirth of Sword and Sorcery type moves, I see no reason for GoT to not be a companion to the various LOTR movies in doing the same. Especially as GoT and LOTR are much better acted. King Arthur still waits for the really good movie treatment (I watched some of Excalibur the other night and the bad acting was just embarrassing.) But I think with movies you can do either a pre- or sequel, and since no one expects them to come out every year you have a time cushion.

It could be cool. Unfortunately, the Waltons theme song started going through my head as I opened this, for some reason. (And then I started thinking of things like The Beverley Hills Targaryens.)

ETA: Dunk and Egg I would absolutely watch.

:lol: It was meant to evoke The Tudors.

A buddy series would seem a bit wierd. But if it morphed into when Egg actually becomes king and Dunk the LC of the King's Guard and continues from there then it would work.

Bob's rebellion as a movie would be cool.

Looks at your username...reads thread...what?

The family I love to hate. I must admit I would be more interested in all the stuff that goes on around the Targs than the lives and loves of the Targs themselves. But it would be with some schadenfreude that I would witness the inexorable extinction of the dragons and the increasing decrepitude of House Targaryen.

GRRM has said that he doesn't want to do it as far as a book goes. It would just be a bunch of small details connecting plot points that we already know the answer to, and he's not really happy doing that. I don't think that HBO would want that sort of thing either, though I suppose it's possible.

I also really don't see how HBO agrees to a movie at this point. As they've said, it sort of shits right in the face of their customer base. "Thanks for the $15/month subscription, now you get to go to a theater and eat some more dick". And what does a movie really get you that, say, a two-part ep wouldn't? The show is already condensed heavily - you want it even more condensed?

GRRM has said that he doesn't want to do it as far as a book goes. It would just be a bunch of small details connecting plot points that we already know the answer to, and he's not really happy doing that. I don't think that HBO would want that sort of thing either, though I suppose it's possible.

I also really don't see how HBO agrees to a movie at this point. As they've said, it sort of shits right in the face of their customer base. "Thanks for the $15/month subscription, now you get to go to a theater and eat some more dick". And what does a movie really get you that, say, a two-part ep wouldn't? The show is already condensed heavily - you want it even more condensed?

As for HBOs feeling on a movie they stated that they were against ending GoT as a movie, i.e. making their subscribers pay to see the ending. However they have never stated, at least publically that they are ipso facto opposed to a pre or sequel. As for condensing, yeah, sometimes I think that GRRM could use some condensing, Books 4 and 5 would have played much better as a single book with some of the superfluous stuff written out.

I imagine he will be well and truly over the world of ASOIAF by the time he gets ADoS onto bookshelves. In fact I expect he will be well and truly over writing novel length material of any sort. AWOIAF is probably as deep as he wants to go into ASOIAF pre-history, some of which is just slightly expanded on backstory that can be found in the novels. But as far as a TV series goes based on the Targaryen family tree it is enough material to from the basis of a multi-season TV series that the writers of the TV series can go as deep and wide as they like. A TV series based on merely connecting the dots that can be found in the literary canon would be really bad. So the series would have to put all sorts of meat on the bones, but also obviously throw in references and scenes that relate directly to literary canon.

I don't see how putting Bob's rebellion or Dunk'n'Egg on the big screen would be giving the middle finger to HBO subscribers. They were never promised anything other than the complete, but highly condensed, story of the ASOIAF novels.

Also how far do the HBO rights extend? There is no essential reason why HBO would have to be the studio behind any movies or prequel TV series. They are the natural producer to have first right of refusal, but I doubt GRRM sold his entire WOIAF soul to HBO.

The Blackfyre Rebellion would be excellent if HBO wanted to do another Game of Thrones series. There are no dragons, manageable numbers of battles, lots of scheming, and so forth. What makes it even better is that they could use it to do the Dunk 'N Egg novellas as tie-in mini-series/made-for-TV-movies.

The Blackfyre Rebellion would be excellent if HBO wanted to do another Game of Thrones series. There are no dragons, manageable numbers of battles, lots of scheming, and so forth. What makes it even better is that they could use it to do the Dunk 'N Egg novellas as tie-in mini-series/made-for-TV-movies.

There actually is a possibility of a dragon around the time of Blackfyre, or just slightly thereafter. they could have been born during the Summerhall fire and the information is either suppressed, or all parties are dead.

Archived