Vikings VII: We'll always have Paris [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

I've been sold on him from the first.

Quite like Kit Harrington in GoT he was asked to play a still-young and rash leader to become with a teeny immature side, which is not the most rewarding role in the eyes of massive audiences, but he always played it top notch.

I've been sold on him from the first.

Quite like Kit Harrington in GoT he was asked to play a still-young and rash leader to become with a teeny immature side, which is not the most rewarding role in the eyes of massive audiences, but he always played it top notch.

I never thought he was bad, he was just surrounded by much better actors. Still is tbh. He was good this season though.

Yes, I think quite a few of the important military stuff that has so far been showed in Vikings was taken from history. Like the idiotic tactic that the Mercians used to split their army. Charles the Bald did that against the Vikings.

Yes, a lot of what people say "OMG, SO DUMB AND UNREALISTIC" happened a lot in real life. For some reason, people think that everyone in charge of an army was Alexander the Great or went to West Point or something.

A little disappointed with the finale

- 50 Shades of Odo. I had a feeling the french 'filly' (as BearQueeen put it) was a spy for the princess, but it looks like this may not be the case. we may find out next season. I don't think they'll focus on this too much next season. but it was there to show us that maybe the princess' reason for not accepting the marriage are justified, and that he does have another side.

- The ending "you killed athelstan". Matee i'm over athelstan you should be too Ragnar

- Why didn't it go for longer?

Everything else i was o-k with and enjoyed thoroughly

- best moment: Rollo saying hello in French and that smile :bowdown: i'd accept that marriage in a heart beat. stupid spoiled princess :rolleyes:

- The confessions at Ragnar's coffin. I think they were good, and a way of getting the main leaders- floki, lagertha and rollo a chance to say their inner thoughts & feelings to ragnar. i think this will have bearing on what ragnar does next season.

- Ragnar finally trusting something to Bjorn. Bjorn's setup to become a great leader next season. with phorrunn (or however you spell her name) gone bjorn can have a journey, apparently involving a bear (?).

All in all i think this finale achieved what it wanted- to get us invested for next season. The season had great moments and some crappy storylines but overall enjoyment factor was high this season. The battle in ep 8 was great. The wessex storyline was great up until about ep 8 then took a weird turn (but i think this will be explained next season). The main negative for this season was Athelstan, not when he was alive, but when he was dead. his lingering presence is annoying and i think its weird for ragnar to have invested so much trust into him.

I liked Auslaug's journey this season as well. I don't mind the inclusion of Harbrand and Siggy's death was done beautifully. I think the two boys who died from drowning were a warning to Siggy (who also lost two sons) about what she might be doing to get into Valhalla. Harbrand did exactly what i would expect of a wandering God, make an impact then leave. so i'm not too pissed about his short storyline.

Excited next season for Rollo's part in Frankia. I think he will try and make a deal with Ragnar. I don't think the Vikings who will now be in Normandy will directly fight with Kattegat Vikings, and i don't think that's Rollo's intention. You could see the hesitation to accept the marriage due to what this will mean- fighting against Ragnar. Will Rollo become King or will Count Odo?

I think Rollo might strike a deal with ragnar- his people can farm on his land and he will help Ragnar get justice in Wessex if they turn away from Paris.

"Je vous salue !" =D

As a French, I loved Gysla's rant because, and I dont know why, it was very understandable.

So far, the old French they spoke was totally not understandable to me, but that rant was way more in line with what we French know as of today of the old language.

I guess Creole is off the table. :)

Overall impressions of the season- I liked it at lot. For me in was on par with last season.

Some flaws I would like to see addressed next season are pacing (editing) and a fleshing out of the secondary storylines so the transitions don't seem so jarring.

A lot of the dangling plot lines I am willing to wait on to see how they develop.

God, I'm gonna miss Ragnar when he's gone. He's so freaking charismatic you can't hardly take your eyes off of him when he's on screen. And I always want to see what he is going to do next.

I know a lot of people were getting upset with Floki but I totally love the character and Gustav kills it when he's on screen.

Lagertha was awesome as always, I love seeing how her character develops. She handles so much with class and dignity.

Bjorn is coming into his own and it's going to be fun to see what is next for him. The actor is growing on me also.

I know I am a minority, but I like Aslaug. She has a different kind of strength than we see with Lagertha and Siggy, but it is just as valid. She definitely had some maturing to do, but I think she is getting there. As a matter of fact, I think she had the most growth over the last two seasons other than Athelstan.

Rollo. I'm a little hesitant when it comes to this character. I don't trust him. I think he is a large reason why Ragnar put so much of his trust in Athelstan and why it was so devastating for Ragnar when he died.

Kalf and company. Eh. But again, I am willing to see what happens.

Ecbert. I was happy with him at the start of the season but he began to do things that made no sense to me. I don't know if this was by design and he has a long term plan, or if Hirst lost his way. I didn't like that all.

I'm going to miss Siggy.

Rumor has it this season is going to be longer. That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what they do with it.

I can't wait for next season!

It will be interesting because according to history, Rollo did keep his word and defended the French, so those relationships will be complicated.

I guess Creole is off the table. :)

:lol:

But seriously, kuddos to miss Polanski for the delivery of that speech !

And kuddos to all the actors mastering speeches in foreign dead languages !

I'd like to remind everyone of the fact that Odo was French. So, do not refer to him as 50 shades of Odo. Instead refer to him as Histoire d'Odo after the French classic BDSM novel Histoire d'O :P

Is Odo a villain in history or was there something in the episode that made clear he would become a villain? Other than Gisla turning down the proposal. I really hope we aren't meant to think that his enjoyment of consensual BDSM is a sign of a villain. I'm already sort of worried we're supposed to breathe a sigh of relief for Gisla for dodging a husband who likes consensual BDSM in favor of a hot husband who has been known to rape.

Well, according to wikipedia he did become King of Frankia after the old emperor was cast down.

Add to that that it's pretty much Hirst MO that only bad people can be villains and that he makes all his villains easily recognizable by given them a sexual kink and I think it's pretty clear he'll be a villain. Heck, Histoire d'Odo even has a second villain mark in that hand of his.

I do hope, though, that we aren't going to get a recycled plot of Rollo and Ragnar fighting one another.

I hope so as well. That would be a terrible development if it happens. That's why I think fighting Histoire d'Odo is a likelier scenario, even Hirst should know by now that Ragnar vs. Rollo is pretty boring.

:cheers:

Great post, I agree. But I still loved it too, lol... I guess I'm to lenient. It is disappointing though since it had so much potential to be something truly great.

I'm glad you liked my post. Although, I would have preferred it if I didn't have to write it :( It's truly sad that this show has so much potential and it just isn't used. And we can't even hope to get a remake along the line that does it better, because how can you ever find someone who is as good as Fimmel to play Ragnar, or Wynnick to play Lagertha :(

Why? They could have handled it better but it's pulled straight from history. :dunno:

In 860, Björn led a large Viking raid into the Mediterranean. (...) They proceeded inland to the town of Luna, which they believed to be Rome at the time, but Björn found himself unable to breach the town walls. To gain entry, he sent messengers to the bishop to say that he had died, had a deathbed conversion, and wished to be buried on consecrated ground within their church. He was brought into the chapel with a small honor guard, then amazed the dismayed Italian clerics by leaping from his coffin and hacking his way to the town gates, which he promptly opened, letting his army in.

God, the execution was terrible here. It's sad when you see something that has great ideas behind it, but fails in the execution. This is how book Daario feels or most of GoT.

Yes, I think quite a few of the important military stuff that has so far been showed in Vikings was taken from history. Like the idiotic tactic that the Mercians used to split their army. Charles the Bald did that against the Vikings.

This doesn't count imo. Charles the Bald had a reason for that tactic, since IIRC he wanted to defend a monastery or something like that. That's why he split his army in two at a location where the two forces couldn't come to each others aid right away. The shows Mercians on the other hand just decided to split their army into two on a location where they couldn't aid one another for no discernable reason at all. Unless their reason was #YOLO.

This was so disappointing that I was sorry that Ragnar wasn't dead.

If Ragnar was dead maybe the writers could clear the board of all those useless figures and empty subplots and start with something substantively written and constructed. This, though, this was empty.

The few nice moments do not a good episode or good season make.

:dunno:

Sadly, I have to agree. Although, I didn't want Ragnar dead. I want him to kill Ecbert, Histoire d'Odo, Erlendur Bieber and Earl son-of-a-cow in the first five minutes of next season. Just as revenge.

I never thought he was bad, he was just surrounded by much better actors. Still is tbh. He was good this season though.

:agree: The other Vikings are just better with the exception of Erlendur Bieber, Earl son-of-a-cow, Hirst's other daughter and Thorrun.

Ugh, lets hope not, Kit has never been more than passable in the role.

Yes, a lot of what people say "OMG, SO DUMB AND UNREALISTIC" happened a lot in real life. For some reason, people think that everyone in charge of an army was Alexander the Great or went to West Point or something.

Most people just think that people leading an army back then usually had more than half a brain. Or otherwise there had to be reason why they threw reason over board, just like in real history.

I don't think Ragnar-Rollo fight will happen again. More like, Rollo and Ragnar might join forces to eliminate the rivals of the Emperor in Frankia and then they can go raiding England and probably there we will say goodbye to Ragnar. At the same time, Ragnar's host might be divided and Bjorn might lead them to raid Rome.

Archived