Vikings VII: We'll always have Paris [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

Hah, *I* can't stop watching GOT and I have to have a paper bag handy to control my hyperventilating.

Some shows you just have to watch, no matter what.

I have walked away from many series along the viewing road, including both True Blood and Got. Both series' heer ugliness combined with bad writing and acting -- and just plain stupid -- put an end to me watching in the middle of season 4, for both of them, if I recall correctly with True Blood. That so many others seem to think the writing and acting in these series are good must means my criteria for these matters is very different.

Alas, that Vikings is approaching the same levels of bad writing and sheer stupid -- though the acting is still good. But that can't last if the writing-plotting stay at the level they were season three and, as well, the related, consequential stupid. Sigh.

I also stop reading series when they turn formulaic, repetitive and dull.

i for one hope that we are done with Rollo trying to screw over Ragnar.

And some closure for the whole 'Floki betrayal' thing

I think (or hope) that it won’t happen either. Rollo tried this once and he knew he wasn’t able to fight Ragnar at that point. I see Ragnar returning finding his brother married to the princess (maybe her father even died in that time). When he comes back they have a talk an they decide that Rollo ruling over Paris is fine. Ragnar reached his goal; conquering Paris, so there isn’t that much in it for him beside more loot. After the talk, they will go and march for Rome I guess.

• 1 month later...

Doing my "late to the party" run through. Good fun, although the mystic side seems a lot heavier this season (there's always been hints of it). Episode 6 was great and felt like a season finale almost. I didn't expect Athelstan to die at that moment especially given the ecbert storyline (and wasn't the ear cutting horrific?) but it worked in the sense of Ragnar lost his closest friend.

Travis Fimmel is great as Ragnar - I really felt his pain at the burial and was really touched by his "something tells me your god wouldn't let me visit". The kind of thing that people in a multi-deity society must have surely thought. I'm not sure if his taking of the cross was just so he could meet him again or if it was just as a reminder for him. Either way it was a powerful moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally caught up with the season, need to comment if anybody still cares. :)

Things on which I seem to agree with most posters:

- Why the heck is Bieber Viking still alive?

- Rollo's "hello" and Bjorn's waving the warriors into the city were the best moments of the finale

- Odo's torture chamber was just pointless

- Ekbert makes no sense anymore

Other stuff:

Seems like I am the only one who thinks the most grating unresolved storyline was no revenge for Athelstan. :angry: I expected Floki to die of it by Ragnar and I feel robbed of it. He needs to go and it needs to be done as a revenge because one does not simply kill the best character and live happily on. (Not that Floki has been the happiest in the last few episodes anyway.) I see people saying the memories and mentions of Athelstan are annoying in the last few episodes, but for me this will not be resolved till Floki is punished for it. With much blessed water and baptising of his family members, if possible.

Somebody with more medical knowledge than me needs to explain to me how a person who had internal injuries which made him pee blood, shiver feverously, hallucinate and convince everybody that he was dying can, a month later, plot a sack of a city, break out of a coffin, kill a bishop, abduct a princess and run through half the city, dragging her with him. I totally bought his death because it just does not make sense to me that he would survive this kind of injury in a time with no modern medicine, surgeries or even basic hygiene. The whole fake death plot would not be ridiculous in itself, but the medical details make no sense to me here. I have no clue about medicine really, but is that at all possible?

I hope they get rid of the stupid French accents next season, especially with Princess Gisela. She is painful to listen to.

Now on to patiently waiting for next season! I am very much looking forward to how Princess Gisela and the bear-like savage pagan go along. :P

Erm, Emperor Charles is played by Lothaire Bluteau who is French Canadian and Princess Gisla is played by Morgane Polanksi who grew up in Paris so I'm not sure where the 'stupid French accents' are supposed to go? Her usual English speak is a mix of French and British inflection (she studied drama in London)

Seems like I am the only one who thinks the most grating unresolved storyline was no revenge for Athelstan. :angry: I expected Floki to die of it by Ragnar and I feel robbed of it.

I wouldnt say that... remember, Floki has yet to encounter the full "fury of a patient man"...

Erm, Emperor Charles is played by Lothaire Bluteau who is French Canadian and Princess Gisla is played by Morgane Polanksi who grew up in Paris so I'm not sure where the 'stupid French accents' are supposed to go? Her usual English speak is a mix of French and British inflection (she studied drama in London)

Interesting. I had no idea about where any of the actors are from really. I assumed the accents were there on purpose. And whatever the reason for them being there is, I kind of still think they sound ridiculous (especially the princess' one, the other characters do not really bother me much). :dunno:

I wouldnt say that... remember, Floki has yet to encounter the full "fury of a patient man"...

True. Cannot wait for that. :devil:

Somebody with more medical knowledge than me needs to explain to me how a person who had internal injuries which made him pee blood, shiver feverously, hallucinate and convince everybody that he was dying can, a month later, plot a sack of a city, break out of a coffin, kill a bishop, abduct a princess and run through half the city, dragging her with him. I totally bought his death because it just does not make sense to me that he would survive this kind of injury in a time with no modern medicine, surgeries or even basic hygiene. The whole fake death plot would not be ridiculous in itself, but the medical details make no sense to me here. I have no clue about medicine really, but is that at all possible?

Kidney stones?

That's why I didn't believe he was dying. If he really was as bad as he looked, he would not have lasted the month.

Then again, considering that in this season they did go the supernatural way a bit, maybe he benefited from divine intervention.

You don't need kidney stones to pee blood. Boxers often do if they have received a lot of blows to the abdomen. Similarly if you body takes a sudden impact from a fall (like Ragnar) or in a car crash it can happen as well. I think it can happen with formula one drivers, motorcyclists and speed boat users who suffer lots of repetitive impacts while driving.

Some people were robust and lucky back then. There would be many of us around today if they weren't. We just think it's impossible because we are lucky enough to be able to go to hospital but if you were to replicate the injury with 100 people today - some would survive.

I don't think it was the case but if Ragnar beleived in the baptism, the body is incredibly good and responding to the placebo effect.

It was never a surprise to me as he was told by the seer that only a dead man would gain entry into Paris. I think as soon as he was injured he went for that plan. I expect the weird little translator and his son were involved in the plan to some extent too.

I didn't like the season as much as season 2. It's solid entertainment but it seemed a bit light on character conflict this time (or I just wasn't invested in the characters who were conflicting). The beheading scene was hands down (or off?) one of the funniest scenes of the year and certainly the best from the show.

Kidney stones?

No idea, can they just go away like that? :huh:

That's why I didn't believe he was dying. If he really was as bad as he looked, he would not have lasted the month.

Then again, considering that in this season they did go the supernatural way a bit, maybe he benefited from divine intervention.

The divine intervention was my possible explanation too. But they really did not show it. But I guess I will understand it that way because it definitely looked to me like he was dying.

You don't need kidney stones to pee blood. Boxers often do if they have received a lot of blows to the abdomen. Similarly if you body takes a sudden impact from a fall (like Ragnar) or in a car crash it can happen as well. I think it can happen with formula one drivers, motorcyclists and speed boat users who suffer lots of repetitive impacts while driving.

Some people were robust and lucky back then. There would be many of us around today if they weren't. We just think it's impossible because we are lucky enough to be able to go to hospital but if you were to replicate the injury with 100 people today - some would survive.

I don't think it was the case but if Ragnar beleived in the baptism, the body is incredibly good and responding to the placebo effect.

It was never a surprise to me as he was told by the seer that only a dead man would gain entry into Paris. I think as soon as he was injured he went for that plan. I expect the weird little translator and his son were involved in the plan to some extent too.

I didn't like the season as much as season 2. It's solid entertainment but it seemed a bit light on character conflict this time (or I just wasn't invested in the characters who were conflicting). The beheading scene was hands down (or off?) one of the funniest scenes of the year and certainly the best from the show.

Interesting (and disgusting - that is why I did not decide to go study medicine probably!), I did not know all that. So maybe the blood was not that bad, and are you then implying he faked all the shivering, fever, laying around being barely able to move and talk etc.?

I think Red Snow is right on the science. You can survive internal bleeding if it doesn't get badly infected. It will even heal over time. There are reports of people, back in the day, surviving events that sounded a lot like severe heart attacks without modern medical intervention. The human body can be quite resilient.

Archived