Avengers 2: The SPOILER thread (warning: spoilers NOT in tags)

denstorebog

If Vanessa can stop hulk, why on earth can't Ultron build a Vanessa?

Technically Vanessa didn't stop Hulk, she just slowed him down enough for Black Widow to come and do that voodoo she do so well with Hulk. Without the hypnotic Black Widow as clean up crew an evil Vanessa will still lose to Hulk.

Technically Vanessa didn't stop Hulk, she just slowed him down enough for Black Widow to come and do that voodoo she do so well with Hulk. Without the hypnotic Black Widow as clean up crew an evil Vanessa will still lose to Hulk.

We don't see Widow lullabying the Hulk during that scene. It's just Punch. Blackout. Next Scene.

I think in that scene levelling that building gave Hulk enough pause that he saw all the folk scared of him, enough to cool off so The Hulkbuster could knock him out. Before the punch the police start shooting again and he's about to wind up for another rampage.

If Vanessa can stop hulk, why on earth can't Ultron build a Vanessa?

Is it ever explained why Ultron can't just hijack Vanessa, along with the Iron Man and War Machine armors? I know we saw someone take remote control of War Machine in one of the movies, and it seems like Tony gave Jarvis control over all his suits, not just the Iron Legion.

Is it ever explained why Ultron can't just hijack Vanessa, along with the Iron Man and War Machine armors? I know we saw someone take remote control of War Machine in one of the movies, and it seems like Tony gave Jarvis control over all his suits, not just the Iron Legion.

Whiplash took control of War Machine in IM2, but that was because HAMMER 'upgraded' the suits systems, and Vanko was working out of HAMMER labs.

I've heard the Ultron in the movie is different from the Ultron character in the first trailer?

A little, yeah. A bit less sinister, a bit more son of stark (quippy, petulant child). It's not over-done, though.

Short of the next Avatar movie(s) I don't think I'm going to go see another movie in 3D. I'm near-sighted and I couldn't wear 3D glasses and my normal ones. Why do 3D glasses have to be dark? Suffice it to say that all the fights prior to Hulk vs Ironman were un-watchable. Thankfully, either the quality of the picture improved, or my eyes adjusted, that it got better after that.

I really liked the movie, enough that I intend to go see it again, this time in 2D, and fully enjoy all the visuals.

What I liked:

- Hawkeye - excellent character exposition, and I really believed he was a dead man, even before the family reveal.

- Ultron - maybe not as good as Loki, but still a damn sight better than the other Marvel villains

- Vision - a nice addition to the Avengers, and he should be of great help fighting bad guys from outer space; of course, if Thanos gets his way, Vision will probably die, or be greatly weakened; and that scene when he casually hands Thor his hammer was probably the most appreciated in the theater.

- Cameos galore

What I had a problem with:

- Whedon and co. write a villain who is very intelligent, yet all he can come up with is create an artificial meteorite; I definitely had a problem with the physics of that destroying the Earth. And Ultron gave up too quickly on acquiring nuclear weapons; since he apparently could build a large army of robots, that were all him, why not use said army to simultaneously attack all nuclear sites at the same time, steal the missiles and launch them at his leisure?

- Thor continues to be the most underused Avenger; last time he was only there because of Loki, now he figured something about the Infinity Stones; maybe that sets up a kick-ass Thor 3? :dunno:

- Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver - not impressed, and I am pretty sure that those bullets that killed Quicksilver should have ripped through him and still taken out Hawkeye and the kid. X-Men Quicksilver is better. I also expected more from their master/boss Von Strucker.

- The Hulk's berserking - though it did lead to an awesome fight, I wish we would have seen a bit into the Hulk's mind, like we did for the others.

Other stuff: I didn't care much for The Hulk-Widow relationship.

For anyone who watches Agents of SHIELD:

Can we say there are three SHIELDs now? Coulson, Adama, and Fury. Also, though Hydra is not yet dead, it totally got downgraded to TV show villains. :laugh:

Edit: Also disappointed that Whedon wasn't lying about there not being an after credits scene; that fake Spider-man scene was great.

Well I got back from seeing it a couple of hours ago. People are saying that it didn't measure up to the first one but personally I felt it was much less draggy in the middle then the first one. Love the Hawkeye development.

I'll be able to articulate things better tomorrow but mostly I was in it for the Excelsior!

It was good to see Stan the man I hope he keeps going with the cameos as long as he can.

Loved it, but it's not without the standard issues everyone brings up...it's packed with so much stuff, and it could've been "cleaner." But, considering the feat, you don't really fault it too much...I expected some jaggedness. Like...you know...the "God pool." What. the. fuck. I get it, everyone wants Hemsworth shirtless...but, seriously, whaaa?

But, if someone paints this huge mural on the side of a giant building, you are impressed by the overall image...even if, when you look up close, some of the components are a little suspect. It's still a nice mural...just don't stand too close, or in this case, think too hard about it...God pool.

That said, I'm ready for Joss to bow out. Seeing as how this movie was so similar to Avengers 1, it's time for someone else to try and take this behemoth to new territory. I feel like Joss has done everything he's going to do with it. Another complaint was the quips...I feel like every scene had one, and this was an annoyance due to the obnoxious asshole sitting in our row -- he felt like he had to laugh OUT LOUD at any semblance of a joke. The non-jokes got half-laughs...he realized he wasn't supposed to laugh, but revved up just in case. I missed a good chunk of lines because I couldn't hear them.

Impressive that all of the characters received sufficient attention. I'm only going to touch on new characters:

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were great. I loved the accents. I loved the different feel their powers brought to the equation. The creepy effect they used to have SW enter/exit scenes was great during the opening sequence of the film. Hoping that they do more to add nuance to her power set. I get that they are trying to simplify what she can do, but I want more than another version of Jean Grey.

I have to say this, because I'm noticing this a lot. I enjoyed the Quicksilver DoFP scene a lot, but the way that scene has been elevated to Sainthood by my fellow comic book movie heads has made me like it less, because I think it's so unbelievably overstated. The scene was not that great, IMO...not enough to warrant some of the things I've seen said in regard to THIS Quicksilver. People actually think Marvel killed off this QS because they saw DoFP and decided they could never do QS that well? Seriously? That's what we're going with? No...just no.

I found this Quicksilver much better than the DoFP version, which was -- ultimately -- a vessel for a special effect. It was a cool special effect, but it was a special effect...not a character. I hated that they killed off this QS, though I did feel it had the needed weight. It was a good scene, and it opens story possibilities for Wanda. However, I do want him resurrected -- in spite of all the naysayers, who would complain that death is meaningless in comics. I mean, yeah, death is meaningless in comics. So, bring him back, please.

Vision was great, and his scene with Ultron at the end was among my favorites in the movie. Paul Bettany is regal. I also totally called it...I knew the mind gem was in the scepter since the scepter was a thing.

Ultron was a ton of fun, and I enjoyed how he was basically an amalgamation of both of his fathers' personalities...the snark of Stark and the anger of Banner. It's hard not to like Spader, though. I'd group him with Downey, Jr. Any role he's in, you're going to like him...his aura overtakes the role. His voice is so transcendent, any line sounds great.

Serkis was great in his short stint. He made me excited for Black Panther. Okay, I was excited before, but now I have tangible evidence.

Man, I hate War Machine.

The Quicksilver worship around DoFP annoys me to no end. Am I the only one who didn't like Quicksilver in DOFP at all? I thought his whole look and demeanour was goofy and annoying. It's going to take more than some slow motion to make me like the guy. AoU Quicksilver was like a gazillion times better in every way. Funny and witty still, but much more of a grounded character. And actually integrated into the plot.

Out of curiosity, which of the two QS's is more faithful to the comics?

Me & my friends, who haven't read the comics either, loved DoFP's QS way more.

No contest, Avengers Quicksilver is more comic accurate. For one, Quicksilver's name is not "Peter," it's Pietro. For all that people talk of Quicksilver's parentage being a central part of his character, about the only thing DoFP Quicksilver has in common with his comic counterpart is his speed and his father. From a personality standpoint, Quicksilver is not what we saw in X-Men. Quicksilver is more of a hothead than a wise-cracker. Yes, he's snarky, but his snark comes from a place of arrogance and impatience. He doesn't so much play with people as much as he's annoyed by people. This is one of my favorite sequence of pages from a comic, ever, written by Peter David...it sums up Quicksilver, perfectly.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/pms1.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/pms2.jpg

And my favorite page...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_upF4Etvqv9Y/TI6O8uKYduI/AAAAAAAAGCo/e1l_HJZm3jI/s1600/pms3.jpg

Out of curiosity, which of the two QS's is more faithful to the comics?

Me & my friends, who haven't read the comics either, loved DoFP's QS way more.

No contest, Avengers Quicksilver is more comic accurate. For one, Quicksilver's name is not "Peter," it's Pietro. For all that people talk of Quicksilver's parentage being a central part of his character, about the only thing DoFP Quicksilver has in common with his comic counterpart is his speed and his father. From a personality standpoint, Quicksilver is not what we saw in X-Men. Quicksilver is more of a hothead than a wise-cracker. Yes, he's snarky, but his snark comes from a place of arrogance and impatience. He doesn't so much play with people as much as he's annoyed by people. This is one of my favorite sequence of pages from a comic, ever, written by Peter David...it sums up Quicksilver, perfectly.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/pms1.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/pms2.jpg

And my favorite page...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_upF4Etvqv9Y/TI6O8uKYduI/AAAAAAAAGCo/e1l_HJZm3jI/s1600/pms3.jpg

It seems that people who don't know anything about Quicksilver are siding with the X-Men version over Avengers.

The Avengers QS is more accurate and also depicted with a great deal more sense in terms of balance and how cripplingly overpowered he'd be and in that regard it's a shame he was killed. But the reason people are favouring The DoFP one is that there was an extended section of the film essentially dedicated to him that built up to that scene, whereas AoU QS is really only slightly more than a mook/redshirt; he mostly only speaks when it's relevant to his sister or he's quipping with Hawkeye, and no special care is taken in showing off his powers either.

Saw it. Loved it.

The humor was great. Loved all of hawkeye's comments, especially his comment about him only having a bow and arrow. Also the running joke about Cap saying "Language!" at the beginning of the movie (though after Thor said "is that all you have" and all the Ultron bots swarmed, I really wanted Cap to reply with "shit" would have been hilarious).

Spader was outstanding (granted it was just Reddington in robot form) and I really hope that his mind survived "somehow". I really would like an even more broken version of Ultron in a future movie.

Widow and Banner would great. You could really feel the romantic tension there.

I do think they missed the boat (hehe) with the hellacarrier scene. Should have been Coulson and his team with Fury on the carrier. It could have been a brief scene of them helping evacuate, but it would have been great.

My biggest gripe with the movie was the way it ended. Since this is supposed to lead into Civil war, it shouldn't have ended on such a high note. Stark should have been more something (I don't know, thoughtful, confused, disgusted by what had almost transpired) darker. I don't know how to say it. Him and Cap really shouldn't have ended on such a high note. Should have been some tension.

Overall the "feel" of the movie should have been darker. Even as all the civies were being wrecked or/and saved, it still seemed to bright and cheery.

Also, trailers for Star Wars and Batman V Superman on the big screen were awesome, even though I had seen both many times.

Overall, great day out and I may even go and watch it again on Sunday.

The Avengers QS is more accurate and also depicted with a great deal more sense in terms of balance and how cripplingly overpowered he'd be and in that regard it's a shame he was killed. But the reason people are favouring The DoFP one is that there was an extended section of the film essentially dedicated to him that built up to that scene, whereas AoU QS is really only slightly more than a mook/redshirt; he mostly only speaks when it's relevant to his sister or he's quipping with Hawkeye, and no special care is taken in showing off his powers either.

True. I never really got an impression of how quick Pietro is, but with Peter I feel like Singer did a better job of showing his speed.

Archived