What Are You Listening To - Vol. XIX "The Music of the Night"

King Tyrion I

on a Gary Numan binge today pals

reckon I should try and actually write this ''Gary Numan Musical'' i've had in my head for yrs lmao just for fun rly

My Centurion from Warriors

Remind Me To Smile from Telekon, which I think is a ridiculously underrated album, should also mention I Die You Die from this album as well.

I am actually seeing Gary Numan live in October with him performing this album. He's doing three nights performing his first three classic albums, Replicas, Pleasure Principle and Telekon and I got the ticket to go to all three nights but I really can't as london is too expensive and scary with me by myself lol so I need to find a way to sell the ticket and am now just going to the Telekon night...I mean...I really want to go to them all I LOVE REPLIAS AND PLEASURE PRINCIPLE SOOOOOOOO much but I'm just glad to see him live really!!!!!!!

This Wreckage - Telekon what a freakin gorgeous synthpop song i could drown in it lmao - one of my top FIST BUMP, HECK YEAH songs

also...a prominent song in my imaginary gary numan musical....

Stories from Dance

the man has so many freaking albums and he never got the praise he deserved at the time so i am so glad that now he's producing great albums again and people are taking notice who aren't just dedicated numanoids but critics who didn't ''get'' him in the past. fucking genius, i love him.

Stormtrooper in Drag

Music for Chameleons from I, Assassin, which was featured on an Alan Partridge episode and i lost my shit the first time i watched it...i crack up every time tbh

Child With The Ghost a really poignant, lovely track from an often overlooked album Beserker

Gary Numan has had a strange career, he's come out with some of the most genius, cold, frightening, science fiction classics; the minimal ''Tubeway Army'' the iconic ''Replicas'' and of course ''Pleasure Principle'' then the great album Telekon, and the more noir, less sci-fi Dance and I, Assassin (i bought the record for a fiver the other day MUAHAHAHAHA) then Warriors and Beserker have some really great tracks and then he has a really murky middle period of kinda mediocre albums and then after a few darker sounding albums finds his stride again with the single ''Crazier'' which was dark, sexy, kinda reminiscent of NIN but in the best way as Numan was obviously a huge fckin influence on them as Trent has mentioned countless times. Then he really seems to have found his sound and the last few albums have been fucking excellent.

It was such as JOY for me to work in HMV and to have people buy Splinter when it first come out and to have conversations with old Numan fans, new Numan fans etc.

Some of my favourite songs from the last two albums, Dead Son Rising and Splinter

When The Sky Bleeds He Will Come

Dead Son Rising

So basically Gary has covered pretty much all my favourite music genres???? Synth pop,electronic, gothic rock, post punk, dark wave etc.

BASICALLY GARY NUMAN IS TO MUSIC WHAT BLADE RUNNER IS TO MOVIES

*nods*

and of course...though they're perhaps the most well known albums they are also...well...the best. Replicas and Pleasure Principle

It is IMPOSSIBLE to just choose a few songs from each album as they're both basically all amazing.

replicas.....

but it'd be rude not to mention Are ''Friends'' Electric? - it's hard to really explain how i feel every time i listen to this song but i'm sure you all know the feeling when you hear you're favourite song. i just feel so happy listening to it like i'm in another world.

why he wasn't appreciated more by critics i really won't know as it's OBVIOUS how much he influenced SO MANY music artists.

and of course the dystopian Down in the Park is one of the best Numan songs ever and from what I hear he regularly plays it live as it's a favourite with the fans for obvious reasons...the main one being...it's fuckin AWESOME

and this is when it gets harder to single songs out as they're all great but special mention to Me! I Disconnect From You and You Are In My Vision

pleasure principle ...

M.E which was sampled by Basement Jaxx in their ''Where's Your Head At'' song

Observer this song is so cheeky i'd love it if there was an amazing karaoke machine that had all songs and i would totally have a boogie to this

Films - remember me and my mates making up spooky dance moves to this one lmao

Metal - another strong contender for the Unamed Gary Numan Musical - everytime i listen to this song im in another world as well and i can perfectly realise it all

and of course...Cars lol

even though everyone knows cars and loads of people wrongly label Numan as a one hit wonder because of this song i would be lying if i said i didn't freakin LOVE this song!!!!!!!

every time i hear this in a store or in a club (as it's the most likely of his songs to play) i get ridiculously excited so i can't even dance properly i just jump around with a dorky smile on my face

and feel i should mention the tubeway army's debut album ''Tubeway Army'' which isn't really synth heavy at all and doesn't have the same sound as the rest, but it's a really lovely album with some CRACKING songs with excellent lyrics

my favourites being Jo the Waiter which i think is a favourite of Numan's and fans alike as he seems to have played it live quite a few times

it's definitely one of my songs

but other good ones from the album are:

My Shadow in Vain

v punky, kinda scary and really, really great to shout along to

'I'D LOVE TO BE LIKE ME IF I COULD FEEL LIKE YOU'

The Life Machine

a sort of cheeky sounding song but also really fucking sad when you see the lyrics about a life support machine

very dark for such a light hearted sounding song

Listen to the Sirens where you can hear the Replicas sound developing

anyway sorry for that LONG ASS POST and i really don't think anyone will listen to the tracks lmao which is ok just sometimes i need to UNLOAD MY NUMAN FEELINGS

Bought the Parov Stelar ''Art of Sampling'' album on what was mostly a whim, since I've only heard two songs from this artist and only one of those is on this album.

It's a genre I'm not particularly well acquainted with, but so far I'm quite liking it. It's very easy to listen to.

Otherwise, I finally picked up the Derek and the Dominoes album. It's awesome, and not just because it saves me trawling Youtube endlessly.

Bryan Adams is great, I don't know what you're talking about :P

:D :cheers:

Archived