Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

Chebyshov

A couple of Qs and As that might shed some light on what's to come. Interpretations are solely mine, of course.

Q - what according to you is the 1 good characteristic of Ramsay

A - he's a very good actor

= he's playing a part for Batfinger, won't fall in lurv with Sansa

---

Q - How does Ramsay feel about being promised to Sansa Stark ?

A - he is laughing his head off!

= doesn't bode well, don't wanna overthink before the time.

Q - what scene was the most challenging to film ?

A - the legitimacy scene. It was seriously cold and windy

= hmmm. When was this? Don't remember. At any rate, I was expecting him to mention the scene he didn't want to shoot.

A couple of Qs and As that might shed some light on what's to come. Interpretations are solely mine, of course.

---

= hmmm. When was this? Don't remember. At any rate, I was expecting him to mention the scene he didn't want to shoot.

I think the "legitimacy scene" was when Roose legitimized Ramsey. They were out on a cold, windy hill somewhere.

I agree with you except the part where Martin's legacy is in any danger. I firmly believe the books will stand the test of time much better than the show. Also, with a little time and distance I firmly believe many critics' perspective of the show will change - especially if they're familiar with the books.

The books will but the perception of the characters in popular culture, not that much. It's not much of a problem that people imagines Daniel Radcliffe when they think of Harry Potter, or Ian McKellan when they hear Gandalf. If anything, the movies help to put an image in thoughts. But unlike HP or LotR, GoT presents a completely deviated version of those characters, and that's what mostly will remember.

How many people remembers Richard Attenborough for playing the adorable grandpa from Jurassic Park? Do you know what his character really was in books? Idem for Julie Andrews in The Princess' Diary. Both characters were rather nasty but mostly people think on their movie versions rather than the book counterpart.

---

Okay are these his real answers? I can't anymore what is spoof or not.

I agree with you except the part where Martin's legacy is in any danger. I firmly believe the books will stand the test of time much better than the show. Also, with a little time and distance I firmly believe many critics' perspective of the show will change - especially if they're familiar with the books.

Couldn't agree more. I'm really curious to see how the show will be seen in 5 or 10 yrs time.

Regarding critics, I watched that interview with Harington yesterday, and the TV critic started by saying that, since she's reviewing the show she decided not to read the books. Granted, this is not my métier, but I would have thought that, in order to better review a TV show that is an adaptation of a series of books, reading the damn books would be kind of a must do. And I have a feeling that many, many of the critics praising the show so much and going on and on about all the 'improvements' the show did are in the exact same group. :dunno:

How many people remembers Richard Attenborough for playing the adorable grandpa from Jurassic Park? Do you know what his character really was in books?

At least in the book he was mauled to death by a bunch of compies

Couldn't agree more. I'm really curious to see how the show will be seen in 5 or 10 yrs time.

Regarding critics, I watched that interview with Harington yesterday, and the TV critic started by saying that, since she's reviewing the show she decided not to read the books. Granted, this is not my métier, but I would have thought that, in order to better review a TV show that is an adaptation of a series of books, reading the damn books would be kind of a must do. And I have a feeling that many, many of the critics praising the show so much and going on and on about all the 'improvements' the show did are in the exact same group. :dunno:

I can sort of see it both ways. I actually wish I watched with a show only viewer so I could get a better idea of what is really resonating w/people.

The books will but the perception of the characters in popular culture, not that much. It's not much of a problem that people imagines Daniel Radcliffe when they think of Harry Potter, or Ian McKellan when they hear Gandalf. If anything, the movies help to put an image in thoughts. But unlike HP or LotR, GoT presents a completely deviated version of those characters, and that's what mostly will remember.

How many people remembers Richard Attenborough for playing the adorable grandpa from Jurassic Park? Do you know what his character really was in books? Idem for Julie Andrews in The Princess' Diary. Both characters were rather nasty but mostly people think on their movie versions rather than the book counterpart.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I was talking from more of a "quality" viewpoint. Down the road I don't believe the show will be viewed as "quality" but more from the perspective of "Yeah, that was entertaining. NEXT!"

I can sort of see it both ways. I actually wish I watched with a show only viewer so I could get a better idea of what is really resonating w/people.

I have two unsullied friends who keep ringing me and asking me to explain things to them. One was convinced the Blackfish was in on the RW, for instance.

I think quite a few TV viewers will go back and read the books, those who have not already, and then they will be happier.... My wife and daughter are both going to read the books after the series is done... their reasoning is that most often adaptations are worse than the books and they have something positive to look forward to.

Thanks. Well, so much for the idea he's going to fall in love with Sansa as some people were speculating.

That was my take on his answer as well. Also when he says that Ramsay's reaction to being betrothed to Sansa is 'he's laughing his head off!'.

I have two unsullied friends who keep ringing me and asking me to explain things to them. One was convinced the Blackfish was in on the RW, for instance.

Exactly.... It is like how some of my unsullied friends and family were wondering why no one, like Slynt, would have brought up that Jon Snow was in the middle of deserting the NW when he went out to meet Mance....Only Sam knew he was going to kill Mance, and even his word has little credibility since he has been housing his wildling GF at CB....

Its this sort of lack of continuity that baffles TV viewers, In the books they would have jumped all over that, had it not been a direct order to go out and kill Mance.

Yep, to me, that's just more illogic piled on the already illogical show. You're right, one cannot judge an adaptation without knowledge of what's being adapted. But many are too lazy to judge it as an adaptation and, you know, that may actually be a good thing. It's so far removed from the original ASoIaF now that it's not an adaptation anyway so it's probably better if it's critiqued as its own entity. I believe more and more critics will begin seeing all the flaws of the show even before the series is over. I think they'll begin taking more and more notice of how it doesn't even make sense in and of itself.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I was talking from more of a "quality" viewpoint. Down the road I don't believe the show will be viewed as "quality" but more from the perspective of "Yeah, that was entertaining. NEXT!"

I agree with you here. I think Game of Thrones will be viewed much the same way that "Oz" is viewed today. It started two years before The Sopranos did, and it got a lot of hype at the time, but I think the quality of the show dropped a lot after the first couple of seasons, and the writers kept relying on bigger and bigger shocks and contrived story lines. Whenever I hear it talked about nowadays it's always, "Oh yeah, I remember [insert Shocking Scene Here]" Nobody really talks about the character arcs or story lines, because they didn't go anywhere worthwhile. I think GoT will be much the same. People will remember the RW and The Mountain and the Viper fight, but other than that I think it will largely fade away after it's done.

So, I decided to join the ranting. It was all said before, still:

-I was baffled by the decision to change "Edd, fetch me a block". Like, maybe not that big deal, but why? Ok, change the scene, but why not "Edd, bring me my sword" or something. Until now I didn't dislike Olly (only thought that he was extremely cliche) but now...way to make people hate your original character. And I thought that he could take Devan's role as a boy who crushes on Mel but after Tommen and Marg...please, NO!

-Tommen and Marg :ack:

-Tyrion in the brothel. If they wanted to omit the rape - then don't show him interacting with sex slaves, not like that. It felt like a slap in the face.

- Maybe it's just me but Davos slightly annoys me since the end of the last season. Primaly because of how he speaks with Jon.

-Brienne was better than in the previous episodes, but I fear that she would take Asha's role as Stannis's captive and potential burning victim. With a better characterisation it maybe could be interesting, esp if Yara came to Stannis willingly and took Mormont's role, but it could mean that Yara would instead disappear like the Riverlands.

-making Walk of Shame for both genders. I think in the books it's unpleasant to read, but important part that it targets women specifically. In the show they make characters say sexist comments against Cersei but erase this aspect...that's just strange.

I agree with you here. I think Game of Thrones will be viewed much the same way that "Oz" is viewed today. It started two years before The Sopranos did, and it got a lot of hype at the time, but I think the quality of the show dropped a lot after the first couple of seasons, and the writers kept relying on bigger and bigger shocks and contrived story lines. Whenever I hear it talked about nowadays it's always, "Oh yeah, I remember [insert Shocking Scene Here]" Nobody really talks about the character arcs or story lines, because they didn't go anywhere worthwhile. I think GoT will be much the same. People will remember the RW and The Mountain and the Viper fight, but other than that I think it will largely fade away after it's done.

That's an interesting comparison. You're right though, Oz had a lot of buzz and now it's never mentioned in anyone's lists of great TV/groundbreaking TV. I suspect GOT will age a little better than that, but I do think it's declining in quality and although it's early and there was the leak, the audience figures declined from ep. 2 to 3 for the first time, I think ever, since it started airing.

Archived