The trouble with eggplant

Fragile Bird

Eggplant is one of those overrated vegetables that you have to work way too hard to taste decent. Don't get me wrong, it can be prepared well. Would I turn down a nice eggplant parmigiana if it was put in front of me? Probably not, but it's my least favorite parmigiana for sure. Even amongst other vegetables (even other nightshades!) the eggplant fares poorly. If I'm going to bread and pan fry a fruit (which the eggplant, like the tomato, technically is), I'd rather do it to a tomato. Hell, I'd rather do it to a zucchini. If you're going to cut it into sticks and turn them into veggie fries? I'd rather have a zucchini or a squash for that, too.

What about baba ghanoush, you ask? Sure, it has its charms. It's a reasonably tasty substitute for when your waitress informs you that they're oh so terribly sorry, but it seems they've run out of hummous. I won't be stingy when I scoop up large globs onto my lightly toasted pita bread, but you can be sure that each bite is liberally flavored with a healthy dash of disappointment.

Plus, one time I ate eggplant two nights in a row, and threw up after each time. My dad said it was because my mom is a terrible cook. My mom said it was because I had a stomach virus. But I have another theory*, my friends.

So keep your eggplant. Keep it all to yourself.

(*My theory is that it was the eggplant.)

Eggplant is very nice when simply prepared. Just pick one off the plant growing on your deck ( :D ) then partially peel, leaving thin stripes of purple gorgeousness on it, slice cross-ways into rounds about 1/4" thick, go through the salting method if you wish, however I find it unnecessary if you're using freshly picked baby eggplant. Then season with salt, pepper, and some Italian herb seasoning, and fry up in hot olive oil (preferably a mixture of half canola, half olive oil.) When it's easily pierced with a fork and it's a nice medium brown color, it's ready.

Quickly fried fresh eggplant is yummy. I never liked eggplant before I started growing them - I found them to be a useless vegetable, only good for its beautiful color. Now I'm a convert!

Are there any completed PhD theses on the role of emojis yet? Or is it too soon for that?

Every text from my mom is like a PhD thesis written in emojis. Does that count?

I'm going to try this, Tears. Thanks!

ES, I just wanted to add that my eggplant parmigiana includes nearly the same prep. I use 1/2 inch slices because I bake it after the quick pan-fry. Salt or not as you wish and once you pan fry layer in whatever you use in the oven (I use a cast iron dutch oven) with your cheeses and sauce and then bake it for 20-30 minutes at 400F. Same fork-tender test. It's delicious and really so much easier than a lasagna. I batter and bread mine before pan-frying because I learned to cook here, but it's not necessary.

Every text from my mom is like a PhD thesis written in emojis. Does that count?

My mum just found facebook chat. God help me.

Eggplants are awesome.

I will it hard, I will eat it soft.

I will eat it peeled, I will eat it covered.

I will it the long curvy ones, or the round rotund ones.

I will eat it when it's in season, I will eat it when it's not.

I love the color, the texture, and also the seeds within (they are strong!).

I will eat the turgid ones and the flaccid ones.

I love the different ways you can prepare and handle them.

It's awesome.

I don't see the point to this. There's easily dozens of emojis that also look like a cock.

Really, the world is full of cock-shaped things.

I don't see the point to this. There's easily dozens of emojis that also look like a cock.

Really, the world is full of cock-shaped things.

:agree:

in this photo alone there are at least half a dozen dick shaped fruits and vegetables...not to mention the cherry nut sack and the fine ass-crack on the peach... :leer:

and hey eggplants don't have anything on a chicken leg....

this is NSFW,

matthew changes chicken for me for life

Archived