The Dark Crystal, The Neverending Story, and Labyrinth

Weeping Sore

He certainly got out the wrong side of bed that morning! And he must have missed how much fun the baby was having with the goblins; losing him would be awful for the human family, of course, but it's not at all clear that Toby wouldn't have been better off being raised as a prince in a magical world.

I know. The baby never actually appears to be in peril, or even very upset about things. I was never afraid for the baby when watching this movie. Somehow, that never seemed to be the compelling aspect. I think most audience members were more scared for Sarah than Toby.

I think you're forgetting about the impact this would have had on the soundtrack. Imagine Labyrinth with a bunch of whiny Sting songs instead of kickass Bowie songs. In that respect both Jagger and Prince would have been better fits (though nowhere near as good as the Thin White Duke). And based on his performance in Captain EO even MJ would have been a better choice than Sting.

Prince would have been the closest thing to Bowie physically - the way he's kind of pansexual, delicate and pretty - but the songs would have been much worse. Prince would have done a lot more squealing, and his final confrontation with Sarah would probably have ended up in much more of a funky falsetto tantrum on his part. I like Prince's music, he did wonderful things with Batman, but David Bowie is the greatest pop musician of all time. Of all time. He's a gift to mankind.

The only song in the movie not performed or at least in part written by Bowie is Chilly Down, the Fireys song. I always liked that song, though.

There was a point in school when I could tell that the other kids were growing older, tougher, cooler. And I could tell it wasn't cool anymore to like these movies. I had to pretend and roll my eyes if teachers wanted to show Labyrinth in school on the afternoon of the last day before a holiday. But secretly I was so excited! I wonder how many other kids were secretly excited about it, too.

I think you're forgetting about the impact this would have had on the soundtrack. Imagine Labyrinth with a bunch of whiny Sting songs instead of kickass Bowie songs. In that respect both Jagger and Prince would have been better fits (though nowhere near as good as the Thin White Duke). And based on his performance in Captain EO even MJ would have been a better choice than Sting.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I quite like a few songs from the Police, but he probably wouldn't have had the sexy, terrifying, sad thing going with his music like Bowie does in the film. I was more thinking appearance tbh, as John Constantine was based on young Sting so come on, what girl doesn't wanna imagine a Sting/John Constantine/Jareth *cough* ummm

Do you like watching The Neverending Story now, as an adult? I still like watching Labyrinth and Willow and The Dark Crystal. I just realized I don't think I ever saw TNS so I'm wondering if I would like it, or if you all like it because of nostalgia alone.

I only remember a boy running from some bullies and breathlessly saying he'd read some stuff to an old codger. I remember images of another boy riding a giant flying dog with big eyes and a pretty little girl sitting in a cloud, with a thing on her forehead, but those images probably came from clips, or the internet or something because I don't recall the context. Something about a horse, maybe?

Dark Crystal :)

Saw it on release with my mom and my friend, and loved it.

At the time, most kids were raving about ET, and 8 years me was like "Screw marketing and screw movies that are too nice, I won't bother watching that one when there's a dark fantasy right there waiting for me to watch it!".

Do you like watching The Neverending Story now, as an adult? I still like watching Labyrinth and Willow and The Dark Crystal. I just realized I don't think I ever saw TNS so I'm wondering if I would like it, or if you all like it because of nostalgia alone.

Yes, absolutely. Though while it's certainly not nostalgia alone, there obviously is a big nostalgia factor involved, and I don't know for sure what I'd think if I was seeing it now for the first time. Was I less impressed by Legend because I first saw it as an adult, or wouldn't I have been that thrilled by it as a kid either? I suspect the latter, but I could be wrong.

Oh, for comparison I've recently been watching the original series of The Tomorrow People. Similar target audience to the Neverending Story, and I'm enjoying it, but I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't have childhood nostalgia for the show.

I only remember a boy running from some bullies and breathlessly saying he'd read some stuff to an old codger. I remember images of another boy riding a giant flying dog with big eyes and a pretty little girl sitting in a cloud, with a thing on her forehead, but those images probably came from clips, or the internet or something because I don't recall the context. Something about a horse, maybe?

I think the Neverending Story is a great fantasy movie tbh. Holds up well as an adult in my opinion.

LOVE GMORK THE WEREWOLF FOREVER. Might have to change my av back to him ;)

Yep, still will watch it and enjoy. Might not be one like Shawshank or Dazed and Confused where I can't not watch it, but it is still a fun one to go through because of the use of imagination it drives.

Atreu drowning/getting stuck in the quicksand was the worst of that movie. Worse than the Nothing, the Gmork...

When I was 4, my parents took me to see E.T. and it was sold out, so we went to watch The Dark Crystal... I don't remember much except it scarred and terrified me. I'm not sure I watched it again until I was 10 or so and it came on tv.

When I was 4, my parents took me to see E.T. and it was sold out, so we went to watch The Dark Crystal... I don't remember much except it scarred and terrified me. I'm not sure I watched it again until I was 10 or so and it came on tv.

David Bowie still does that to me to this day. And I'm not just talking about his Dark Crystal character

Oh my GOD. Where to BEGIN with these movies. Labyrinth was always very confusing to watch when I was younger because I was all WHAT ARE THESE STRANGE FEELINGS and then when I was like 16 realized I just had the major hots for David Jareth The Goblin King Bowie lmao and I enjoy that movie perhaps more now than I did when I was younger and I looved it when I was a kid!!!

I freakin love the Neverending Story to bits, only last year did I read the book for the first time (it is truly fantastic) and the movie is a great adaptation of the first 12 chapters or so of the book, shame the sequel was total pants and I have a strange fascination with Gmork, the grumpy evil werewolf Atreus bumps into at the end, I just love him. Great movie.

CAN WE TALK ABOUT LEGEND????

You were not the only one with these feelings. You might find this analysis fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw0uM8oILZo

David Bowie still does that to me to this day. And I'm not just talking about his Dark Crystal character

Get.Out.

What? Were the Star Trek threads too busy for you to go in and talk about Han Solo?

:P

I am also a huge Gareth (and his amazing pants) fan. Bowie rules.

Dark Crystal was 'okay', but Labyrinth and Neverending Story are just the best.

I actually have a dog that reminds me so much of the Luckdragon...he doesn't fly, though, and he isn't all that wise, really. But he does have lovely eyes.

Archived