NFL Offseason 2015 Pt 2: Deflated Debate

Things like this are the reason I drink.

Go to bed Jace... You're drunk...

Wait a minute.... Are you drunk enough to admit my Cowboys are going to win the Superbowl this year? Sometimes inebriation brings about brutal honesty.

Go to bed Jace... You're drunk...

Wait a minute.... Are you drunk enough to admit my Cowboys are going to win the Superbowl this year? Sometimes inebriation brings about brutal honesty.

You'll never break me, creature!!! But... since we're talking about it and we're closing in on the season (like what, 6 weeks or so to go?) maybe I can give a little tease.

This is the NFC's year. The AFC is devastated, and the only team that seems to stand out is Indianapolis. But Indy is an incredibly flawed team that's prone to collapsing if Luck isn't playing like he's the coolest kid since Neil Patrick Harris. The Colts shouldn't be the favorite to win the superbowl for the AFC. Not because nobody wants them to, but because they're not good enough to actually deserve it. But with Brady's future and defense in doubt, and Manning's arm deteriorating faster than the Broncos' offensive line, there's not really anybody else. The Dalton train only makes once stop in January, Flacco's a turd and we all know it, the Steelers have collapsed defensively, the Texans don't have a passer's chance of beating Indy in Indy, the Chargers aren't a real team they're more like Rivers and a bunch of sad dudes he forces to play with him, the Chiefs are coached by Andy Reid, the Gets are stuck with Jeno, the Dolphins are the definition of mediocre, and the Bills are like a trash bag floating in the wind.

That the Colts seem crushingly likely to win the AFC isn't exactly heart warming, either. It's much easier to take a loss in January than February, I know, and the AFC representative in the Superbowl will face a goddamn buzzsaw for for the Lombardi.

Thinking of the NFC is like a fucking nightmare for me. The Packers are always the favorite, and no wonder since they have the best non-4th quarter QB in the league. The Lions made the playoffs last year and boast a great amount of offensive talent. The Vikings are everyone's dark horse this year, they have the guy who clearly should have been the #1 QB last year and All Day will be looking to beat defenses like they're 3 year old boys. Hell, even the Bears could be worrying if you're the paranoid type, Cutler has talent and nobody can deny that, Fox has never really failed, and Vic Fangio is a fucking lvl 78 wizard.

Moving southwards, we come to the spunky Falcons who look to revive themselves with a far superior head coach and healthy WR's. The ever-dangerous Saints. Nobody goes into a Saints game thinking about how they're gonna celebrate the win, even with the mad personnel moves in mind it's hard to dismiss Payton and Brees. The Panthers are a sneaky-bad team themselves, if the other two collapse again then Carolina might get good matchups and go far.

The West is fucking crazy. We all know the Seahawks are the #2 team to beat, and until they have to pay Wilson a fair wage they'll stay that way. The Cardinals are the most fun team in the league, with great talent but just enough flaws to make them lovable, they'd struggle against the Patriots but fucking railroad the Colts or Broncos. Even the Rams have a shot, their defense has improved and Foles may not be good but at least he might be mediocre for 10 games.

And now the East, my personal favorite. The Cowboys are so firmly entrenched as the 3rd-best team in the NFC that it wouldn't be surprising to see them go 15-1. The Giants are ever slumbering, just waiting to be roused while armed with the best WR in the fucking league and Eli Clutch Manning. Chip is probably a psycho, but who can know for sure? Hell, even the Washingtons have a somewhat plausible route to the 'ship. The injured QB, left for dead, brings back the magic armed with WR monsters and a fortified defense, fuck that'd be awesome.

So Jace's final analysis:

I'd give the most likely superbowl to be either:

Colts vs Packers

Colts vs Seahaws

Colts vs Cowboys

Again, I'm not celebrating the Colts here. This is more about the comparatively weak AFC. I don't like the Colts' chances in any of these matchups. The Packers will just score until Luck finally snaps and starts eating fans. The Seahawks will capitalize on a season's worth of throws weakening Luck's arm by squeezing on the passing game. The Cowboys are the best chance at a win, but only if the way they get there is the absolute opposite of how we expect them to get there. We all know that the Colts will eternally be vulnerable to the run game, so their only chance to beat the Cowboys is if their absurdly good O-line is blocking for guys who couldn't find the hole with a map and protractor. But if that's the Cowboys we see this year then they'll never make it anyways.

So, Phillip. I love ya, dude. Even if you're a dirty fucking Cowboys fan and I kinda would like to see Romo get a ring.

Harvard Sports Analysis has the Dolphins as the best team in the AFC...

http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2015/07/a-way-too-early-prediction-of-the-nfl-season/

With only Seattle and Green Bay rated higher. 

What!?! At least I can blame the spirits for my nonsensical ranting. The fucking dolphins the 3rd best team in the league? They're not the 3rd best team in their fucking division.

How well does PFT's approximate value do in comparing players between positions? Because that analysis bascially just adds up the approximate values of the teams' key players, so it might not fully account for a mediocre QB.

It also doesn't account for depth. It only takes into account offensive and defensive starters, and not even all of them- only the top two Olineman and top two defensive backs.

Those two factors probably overrate the Dolphins a bit.

Goddamn, I've been a Colts fan since before I left highschool. But between hiring an awesome Ex-Colts coach who nobody believed in, signing a former superstar QB who's down on his luck, and having a fucking awesome defense the Cards are threatening to become the center of my fandom. If they were to... IDK, sign Mike Vick and Reggie Wayne I might become an official fan.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Arians is the baddest motherfucker in the league.

So, now that we have shattered the glass ceiling, have you got your football resume ready? I'm all in for a Coach Jace... I'll sign up as your assistant.

That has to be better than what San Francisco has now doesn't it?

Goddamn, I've been a Colts fan since before I left highschool. But between hiring an awesome Ex-Colts coach who nobody believed in, signing a former superstar QB who's down on his luck, and having a fucking awesome defense the Cards are threatening to become the center of my fandom. If they were to... IDK, sign Mike Vick and Reggie Wayne I might become an official fan.

The ex coach and former superstar QB aren't Arians and Palmer are they? Cause Arians was coach of the year right before he was hired, and Palmer while highly thought of as a college player was hardly a superstar. I'm not that familiar with the Cards' roster though so you could be talking about two other people.

The ex coach and former superstar QB aren't Arians and Palmer are they? Cause Arians was coach of the year right before he was hired, and Palmer while highly thought of as a college player was hardly a superstar. I'm not that familiar with the Cards' roster though so you could be talking about two other people.

Arians was 'retired' by the Steelers when they pinned him for the team's struggles. And for a brief time in 2006, Carson Palmer was hottest thing since sliced bread.

Arians was 'retired' by the Steelers when they pinned him for the team's struggles. And for a brief time in 2006, Carson Palmer was hottest thing since sliced bread.

Yeah that was an embarassing end to his time as Steeler. It really was poor treatment of a good coach.

It may very well end up being the curse of the Bambino all over again, the Steelers havent been the same since they ditched Arians. Meanwhile he took a ragtag Colts team and an offensively crippled Cardinals team to the playoffs.

If this guy gets a solid (and healthy) QB, watch out.

Archived