NFL Offseason 2015 Pt 2: Deflated Debate

I can't believe how bad TV's used to be. I'm trying to watch highlights that are only from 2003, and they're shit.

It's ridiculous. Was randomly rewatching the '96 Superbowl between the Packers and Patriots on NFLN and I could barely make out the action. How did we live before HD? 

FTFY

:P

Dick! 

(But probably true) 

ETA: ahahahahah on the Tomsula to Kerr comparison. If I was Kerr, I'd demand an apology from Jed York.  

It's ridiculous. Was randomly rewatching the '96 Superbowl between the Packers and Patriots on NFLN and I could barely make out the action. How did we live before HD? 

(But probably true) 

That explains the emergence of Running Back By Committee! Before HD, you couldn't tell the running back apart so teams had to use one guy 90%+ of the time so that fans could know who they were rooting for. The only exception is if one guy was white and other black.

Now, we can tell the difference between Steven Ridley and LaGarrette Blount due to HD.

It seems like the Vikings are the ESPN consensus pick for turnaround team. The offense has huge upside with AP returning, but Jaws has cursed Teddy Bridgewater with his praise. I think Jaws is a tool, and usually always wrong with his prognosis. Also, I'm not entirely sure what the Vikings have going on defensively. I know they have a white defensive back who's pretty good which makes me believe that the Vikings may indeed be the biggest enigma of the 2015 season.

For realzies. Even going back to '04 to watch Manning bend the league over his knee, I couldn't believe the mediocre image. And the fucking shoulder pads!!! They're squares!

ETA: Watching David Carr break down his little brothers film. It's pretty cool. David seems to understand what his career was, and has moved on (cough, Ryan Leaf) and wants to help his brother. But he also dropped some dirt on him.

Watching non HD games on a HD TV is a horrible experience, but take it from an old man here (45yo), The image on a native 4:3 screen was only bad, but not unwatchable.

I remember when the beeps, sweeps, and creeps (but mostly the way the picture just kinda went away) on our TV got so bad that my dad left for 45 minutes, and when he came back he demanded that my cousin Tyler help him bring the 'new' TV in. It was truly something to behold! I don't know much about TV's and electrical doohickeys, but I'd say this thing probably came out in 1978. It was only half the size of our old TV (so like 1.5 feet tall) and most of it was the screen, unlike the old one! But it looked funny. For one thing, it looked like it was made of wood. That's not a typo, it was that shitty fake-wood plastic shit. It had a knob instead of those smooth plastic buttons that sometimes got stuck inside of the case, and you had to wriggle them out with a combination of forks and tears of frustration. Also, there was a shiny silver button that said "push for color". And most peculiar of all, (even more so than the strange Arkham City-like minigame where you had to try and match the big spinney dial to whatever whosamawhatsit signal to keep the screen from rotating vertically, horizontally, or even the rumored... sideways-but-also-upityways!) was the metal coat hanger sticking out of the back. It wasn't peculiar that there was a coat hanger (after all, who hadn't jurry-rigged their stereo, TV, or fucking car?) it was that I wasn't sure where it was going. Normally it's pretty straightforward with this stuff, there's a metal antenna that's supposed to extend to catch the radios that are out there, but for whatever reason it's not there anymore but you just tape/glue/torch/wax/stuff/cram/pray that shit onto whatever's left from the antenna. But with this "new" TV, there was no leftover metal piece. It was just a wooden box-...3Dtrapaoid?, and the coat hanger just went straight into it. 

It didn't look like there'd been a hole drilled into it.

The hangar wasn't loose.

You couldn't get it out.

There were no clear seams or markings, even on the bottom.

It only got 2.5 channels.

But that was 2 more channels than the last goddamn  TV!!!! :smoking:

ETA: ahahahahah on the Tomsula to Kerr comparison. If I was Kerr, I'd demand an apology from Jed York.

Yeah, and I doubt Tomsula's exactly doing cartwheels for being thrust into the spotlight again in a no-win situation, either. Maybe Jed York will turn out to be some mad genius disguising a complete tank job as a p.r. disaster...but I have my doubts. Fuck me, we actually had it good for a few (3) years! :(

I am not even that old but we still had a small black and white TV growing up.  Our 'good' tv was in the basement, complete with a turndial with 13 channel choices (of which we got 5).  But if we wanted to watch anything on the main floor it was in black and white at about 13 inches.  Made football a bit tough to watch.

They also drafted Nate Solder at #17, which was a good pick. 

But yeah, the top half of the 2011 draft was just ridiculous.  The first 16 picks featured 4 quarterbacks and 12 non-quarterbacks.  3/4 of those quarterbacks are complete busts.  In comparison, 11 of the 12 non-qbs have made pro bowls, and the last (Nick Fairley) is still pretty good.  I don't even know who the next worst guy would be...Mike Pouncey maybe?  Ryan Kerrigan (pick #16) is quite possibly the best player on the Redskins, and he is clearly below average amongst those guys. 

They also drafted Nate Solder at #17, which was a good pick. 

But yeah, the top half of the 2011 draft was just ridiculous.  The first 16 picks featured 4 quarterbacks and 12 non-quarterbacks.  3/4 of those quarterbacks are complete busts.  In comparison, 11 of the 12 non-qbs have made pro bowls, and the last (Nick Fairley) is still pretty good.  I don't even know who the next worst guy would be...Mike Pouncey maybe?  Ryan Kerrigan (pick #16) is quite possibly the best player on the Redskins, and he is clearly below average amongst those guys. 

Yeah and you can make the case of the top 10 defensive players in the game each year, 5-7 of them came from the 2011 draft. I mean JJ Watt, Von Miller, Robert Quinn, Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman and Justin Houston for sure. And then Aldon Smith when his head is right and Marcell Dareus and Ryan Kerrigan as dark horses a given year. DPOY, this decade, is basically a competition between which 2011 draftee had the best year, with occasionally a Kuechly (2012) or an Earl Thomas or a Suh (2010) sneaking into the conversation.

Which team will end up moving to Los Angeles?

The smart money is on the Autumn Wind. Oakland has no money. They aren't budging on any sort of stadium deal for either the Raiders or the A's. The owners of each team have very little pull politically, and no desire or means to pay out of their own pocket. Oakland is in real danger of losing all 3 of its professional sports franchises.  

Archived