[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa XVII - On her own

Mladen

I understand that it is possible Sansa gets pregnant in the books and that D & D may just be streamlining here, but even if Sansa gets pregnant in books with HtH (or even LF), that is a far cry from having Ramsay's demon child - the same family that murdered her brother and mother and stole the North.

Also it is possible it could be Sandor's child. In the books they had Sansa not being bothered by the idea that her mother had slept with LF and Cersei telling her about losing maiden heads due to horse riding, the dream about a daughter looking like Arya and Arya being taken for Sandor's daughter etc. it could also be HtH or LF's child. LF is on a par with Ramsay in terms to damage to her family though. However it would not be a legitimate child while a child of Sansa and Ramsay would be, which means she will have given the Bolton's a legitimate claim on Winterfell.

Then there is the thorny issue of will the child be aborted, if not will she care for it? Either way they are on dodgy bloody ground. I don't know if anyone has seen the reports regarding the fate of the children born of rape in Rwanda or the Balkans or the pro-life even in cases of rape arguments: It doesn't make for pleasant reading but brings up a whole raft of issues of how bloody sensitively they would have to handle it. Not something I think D&D could do well.

Guardian on Rwanda : http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/08/rwanda-20-years-genocide-rape-children

However it would not be a legitimate child while a child of Sansa and Ramsay would be, which means she will have given the Bolton's a legitimate claim on Winterfell.

Of all the problems this might raise, that is rather unlikely to be one of them. The Boltons are soon to be dead meat, one way or another.

Of all the problems this might raise, that is rather unlikely to be one of them. The Boltons are soon to be dead meat, one way or another.

But the child would be a Bolton so even if the others are dead they have won via the child.

But the child would be a Bolton so even if the others are dead they have won via the child.

Sansa will also be in a dicey situation if she bears the child, since the northerners would want to take steps to eradicate the possibility that a Bolton child could inherit Winterfell.

Hmm...If TV Sansa does get knocked up, that would add urgency to the search for her brothers if she learns that they're alive. If Rickon is secured as a northern heir, Sansa's child would be a lot safer as there would be a Rickon buffer between her child and inheriting Winterfell. TV Sansa might even claim that her child was a bastard, fathered by some or other servant, to protect the child (sort of a reverse Jon Snow situation).

"Won" in what sense? The child isn't likely to be Lord of Winterfell or whatever.

Yes, and anyway there's still Bran and Rickon.

Bran isn't having any kids and Rickon may or may not have heirs. Even if he does, should something happen to them, then it goes to the Bolton child.

She is in more episodes. I also heard from the guy, Portman that Episode 10 will break the internet. I think the stuff in Winterfell and around it is going to be huge. As well as the Wall etc.

I bet it's sansa cutting ramsay''s balls. that would break the internet. what did she pick up a knive?

Jesus, there was confusion about that?

Yes, and a lot of it. Misogyny is a strange beast.

I think the thing that breaks the interwebz, is Jon's stabbing.

Anyway, Theon blabbed to Ramsay, didnt he? Either way, Sansa is fucking boned and its bullshit. The only out she seems to see, is Ramsay's mentioning of Jon. She is like "dude wat?" Brienne better get her butt in there, pronto.

Sansa being pregnant would really be some gross ass writing and i really hope they dont go there.

Yeah, if they go that route, and have her keep the child, it will always feel to me like, in some way, the Boltons have succeeded - and even if Martin doesn't think he writes villains - the Boltons are definitely villains.

Yeah, if she is pregnant, that is one baby, Roslin Frey's the other I would want never to be born. However, they could tie up the loose ends and completely destroy Sansa even further, have her and the baby die in childbirth.

There is so much foreshadowing in this episode for the future of this season and the next season. I am still in shock over the Sansa storyline and when LF will return. I am stoked that in episode 10, Benjen Stark is in it. GRRM better hurry up, TWOW will be spoiled completely if he does not get it out before season 6. Also, Bran and Rickon, I miss them so much.

They sure put emphasis on making sure Sansa heard Jon was the LC at the Wall. Ramsay mentioned him to her 2 or 3 times. I wonder if she'll try and write to him? Perhaps a version of the Pink Letter?

Best moment of the episode. One of the only good ones. I've been worried they wouldn't include the Pink Letter, but this seemed like a giant flashing neon sign that some version of it will be included. Happy with that.

I've spoken about this in the past, but this show really has a bizarre notion of what being a player is. We see Sansa trying to make use of the information about pregnancy, but she's basically just jabbing him with it (in a way she really shouldn't be able to get away with), rather than trying to win him over and actually pull his strings. And this is not just some Sansa-specific thing; that's how basically all the "players" on this show act, swanning around and acting as obvious as possible. Since this is such a rerun of Sansa's KL story, her behaviour there actually made sense in the presence of a psycho -- but for some reason, Ramsay isn't having her beaten whenever she insults him right to his face, unlike Joff.

Sophie was great, as usual.

The problem is, she can't win him over. That's the main problem I have with the rape (remember, it's fiction. Sansa Stark doesn't exist and thus, can't be raped for real): it breaks any chance of a relationship between Sansa and Ramsay other than a relationship between victim and aggressor.

And since Sansa's character seems to be about (slowly) learning courtly intrigue, that leaves her without weapons to use.

Also, Show Sansa doesn't have the courtesy armor of the books (it would be hard to translate into the screen), so she just speaks to him letting her emotions show.

how were theon know about the old women? is he a spy for ramsay?

He found that information written in a sheet of paper in a hole on the ground. The hole was dubbed "plot"

Most likely, all the staff who had any relationship with Sansa (probably only a few) were interrogated/tortured

I thought the show may have been foreshadowing a Sansa pregnancy this episode. Right after Theon brings the candle to Ramsay, the very next shot is of Gilly's baby. For a split second I thought to myself; wow they really skipped ahead in time (Thinking it was Sansa/Ramsay baby).

I understand that it is possible Sansa gets pregnant in the books and that D & D may just be streamlining here, but even if Sansa gets pregnant in books with HtH (or even LF), that is a far cry from having Ramsay's demon child - the same family that murdered her brother and mother and stole the North.

Remember that line from Cersei back in season 2/ACOK when she told her "you'll love your children" talking about her children with Joffrey? Specially if the show is having Sansa pregnant because she'll get pregnant in the books, they'll probably go that way (since any child from the books won't be from Ramsay).

I don't see why people are surprised about the idea of Sansa becoming a mother. If the Stark line is to survive, someone has to carry it on and unless the ending fast forward more than ten years, that leaves Jon (if he gets out of his vows) or Sansa. I really don't see Arya becoming a mother within this story timeline.

I guess it settles it that Sansa's involvement in LF's plan made no sense. She could have been accepting Ramsays's heinousness as an attempt to turn the Boltons against eachother but she obviously doesn't want to be there and for some reason didn't expect the rape. Otherwise she wouldn't be trying to escape. I guess Darth Sansa was a bust.

The problem, I think, is that D&D removed all external conflicts from the Winterfell storyline until this episode. Thus, Sansa did nothing until today. As for the rape, my take is that she expected to have sex but got nervous/chickened out when it came to it, which gave Ramsay the excuse he needed to victimize her.

I bet it's sansa cutting ramsay''s balls. that would break the internet. what did she pick up a knive?

A meat hook, I think. I doubt she'll be able to kill anyone with it, as anyone she might want to kill would be a trained warrior. But it's good to see she's trying to find the way to fight instead of resigning to her fate.

The problem is, she can't win him over. That's the main problem I have with the rape (remember, it's fiction. Sansa Stark doesn't exist and thus, can't be raped for real): it breaks any chance of a relationship between Sansa and Ramsay other than a relationship between victim and aggressor.

And since Sansa's character seems to be about (slowly) learning courtly intrigue, that leaves her without weapons to use.

Also, Show Sansa doesn't have the courtesy armor of the books (it would be hard to translate into the screen), so she just speaks to him letting her emotions show.

This is my major problem as well. You've undone seasons of character development and taken away any growth that Sansa has had for that. It's a replay of the Joffrey storyline...but worse. Poorly plotted to get to the point hwere you could "shock" people with her rape, and no plan afterwards. Sansa's agency has pretty much been destroyed.

Archived