SPOILERS - Tyrion reveals himself...shocker or not...you be the judge

rocksniffer

Agree that Tyrion won't sugar coat things for Dany - but the more I think on it, the more I'm starting to hate show Tyrion. And oddly for the opposite reasons to the books.

Where the books had Tyrion devolve into a hateful, self loathing creature that lacked the courage to deal with what he was via Penny, the show is coming up with impossible situations to keep Tyrion cool. AGoTs is not and should not be the Tyrion hour, in which the only hardships ever suffered by Tyrion exist for him to make some righteous point about something.

When is show Tyrion going to be wrong? When is show Tyrion going to actually suffer, as he has in the books?

Seriously, and now that he's being shoe-horned into position as Dany's official consigliere, we have the two most self-righteous characters in the history of showbiz in one scene! Yay!

If Dany is so happy that Tyrion Lannister is here, who is going to wisely advise her, then why didn't she show her gratitude to Jorah who enabled this valuable gift to come to her in the first place?

You can't be serious. Jorah spied on her, for the people who over threw her family...leading to death and sorrow. At one point, had he not had a sudden change of heart, his information would have led to her and her baby being poisoned. Why the hell, would she suddenly forgive this, just because he brought her Tyrion? In the long run, mayhaps she does. But initial, a normal person would still hold a grudge and rightfully should.

But well done for achieving in 7 episodes what GRRM may not achieve in 3 books and actually have Dany and Tyrion meeting and not have it feel rushed along the way.

It could not have been more rushed if it were dying in the back of a speeding ambulance... are you fuckin serious?

I can understand the show cut the scene where they did, but I'm disapointed we didnt get Dany's entire reaction on the spot. Yeah, probably she just asked to take them to her pyramid where she'll have a more in-depths conversation with Tyrion and Jorah next episode, but I really wanted to see Dany's immediate entire reaction to "the gift".

Yeah, they really cut that short. She gave a nice menacing glare, but come on, I'm just imagining what my own reaction would be. "Oh really, Lannister? The people who killed my father, my niece, and my nephew, ruined my house, and forced me into exile? Ser Jorah, bring me his head."

Is there going to be a cute little scene where they compare scars

"I killed my father with a crossbow"

"I let me husband kill my brother with a pot of molten gold"

"I blew up a bunch of ships at blackwater"

"I blew up a bunch of kids with my dragons"

Ok dany, you win

Could D&D be using greyscale in place of the pale mare to awake the stone dragon? Or are they just diluting the story again? They aren't big on the book prophecies.

Book prophecies would have ruined the Red Wedding. Different medium....

It was nice when it was fresh and Dany wasn't an insufferable prig, amirite? Frankly I see her more as Queen in the East. She can do some good there. The only new things she'll bring back to Westeros is death by dragon and boredom.

I think that will be conclusion to her storyline when she realizes she is not meant to rule westeros. Targs left the east hundreds of years ago to conquer the west but that is over now and technically Dany is back home now. No one knows history and has better knowledge of the world than Tyrion Lannister. Tyrion will be able to pick apart Dany as a person quickly because he will be see her weaknesses and if they establish a genuine bond between them she will find a new destiny. Tyrion will realize that revenge is pointless too once there is no one to revenge, Cersei would have self destructed on her own so Tyrion can finally move on and help himself find his own purpose without being tormented by the past.

I can't really say that it was a shocker, but I would have expected it to be a few episodes away. The momentum of the show is bizarre, first four seasons moves at a good pace deviating only slightly from the books. Season 5 comes along and compresses SO much material into just a few episodes with so much screentime left over for weird fan fiction and ridiculous sub-plots.

I'm glad it happened. GRRM has this thing where he builds up tension to a conflict, character goal or dramatic moment but he never brings it to a climax. We've been wanting Dany to get involved with Westeros in a big way for a long time. Bringing Ser Barristan over was nice. A Martell? Well, ok, we'll take him (for now). But it's Tyrion we want to meet Dany, not Victarion or Marwyn.

And it happened. Yay. Everybody dance. Finally

Then... credits. :stillsick:

I'm guessing she holds a council with Tyrion present, he gleefully tells her about the state of Westeros, and that's when we get her speech about breaking the wheel of time. But I swear if the next episode has Tyrion and Jorah locked away somewhere because "reasons" and Dany off doing other stuff for reasons, I'm going to bust a blood vessel.

I can't really say that it was a shocker, but I would have expected it to be a few episodes away. The momentum of the show is bizarre, first four seasons moves at a good pace deviating only slightly from the books. Season 5 comes along and compresses SO much material into just a few episodes with so much screentime left over for weird fan fiction and ridiculous sub-plots.

Yep. D & D are having some serious problems writing their own stuff. The first 4 seasons could understandably rely on the books for the pacing...but you could even argue this season should have just taken the best from AFFC and ADWD and put together a better paced and structured story. Instead they've left a lot of what I felt was the better stuff from both books out and tried to create their own stories.

It could not have been more rushed if it were dying in the back of a speeding ambulance... are you fuckin serious?

Amen, brother. Those literary unsullied around me even thougth it felt rushed.

Well, because Sopranos, Sex in the City, Dexter, Entourage, blah blah blah all lasted a finite number of seasons, the execs at HBO have decided they must set an endpoint come hell or high water for this series....elsewise they are certain as an inside trader that they will lose all of their revenue.

I might not be a Hollywierd bigwig, but I would think that if they actually followed the suit of Season 1 and told GRRM's story (minus 95% of AFFC), the masses would stay with the show for much longer than the magic 8. I mean, how long has The Simpsons been on air? 'But The Simpsons is far more cost prohibitive' you say? Tell that to the network negotiators dealing with Shearer and Azaria for salary demands.

But the way D & D are going now, I might not even be interested in 6.

I'm glad it happened. GRRM has this thing where he builds up tension to a conflict, character goal or dramatic moment but he never brings it to a climax. We've been wanting Dany to get involved with Westeros in a big way for a long time. Bringing Ser Barristan over was nice. A Martell? Well, ok, we'll take him (for now). But it's Tyrion we want to meet Dany, not Victarion or Marwyn.

And it happened. Yay. Everybody dance. Finally

Then... credits. :stillsick:

I'm guessing she holds a council with Tyrion present, he gleefully tells her about the state of Westeros, and that's when we get her speech about breaking the wheel of time. But I swear if the next episode has Tyrion and Jorah locked away somewhere because "reasons" and Dany off doing other stuff for reasons, I'm going to bust a blood vessel.

So what if she never meets Tyrion in the books? I for one am hoping Jon Snow stabs Dany in the face, so it would be better if Tyrion went with Team Snow. Or even Team Branraven-a-thousand-eyes-and-four.

Of course, the way the show is going, Dany and Jon will marry and live happily ever after, because the obviously nitwit TV audience clearly wants a happy ending. (Insert barfing emoticon here). Funny, the TV audience seemed to be fine with Martin's work in the first couple of season, dead Ned and all.

So what if she never meets Tyrion in the books? I for one am hoping Jon Snow stabs Dany in the face, so it would be better if Tyrion went with Team Snow. Or even Team Branraven-a-thousand-eyes-and-four.

Of course, the way the show is going, Dany and Jon will marry and live happily ever after, because the obviously nitwit TV audience clearly wants a happy ending. (Insert barfing emoticon here). Funny, the TV audience seemed to be fine with Martin's work in the first couple of season, dead Ned and all.

The bookreaders (myself included) want a happy ending too.

Archived