[Book Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion II

Ran

I found somewhere a list of the gifts in this episode. It is not only Tyrion as a gift to the watchers...

I disagree with this. They haven't done a great job with this season (most recent episode notwithstanding), but they are clever. Think about how many different levels "The Gift" works on. There's the obvious reference to the patch of land from the books (in the episode itself?), there's the antidote from Tyene to Bronn, there's Gilly having sex with Sam, there's Tyrion being turned over the Dany, there's (most darkly) there's Ramsey's gift to Sansa, there's LF's gift of Lancel to QoT, and there's probably one or two more that I'm forgetting.

They make the show work on multiple levels all the time, some of which are more subtle than others. They can't be as subtle as the books because you don't have the POV of the characters to show you what they're thinking. It's a limitation of the medium, not the directors.

But did they mention the Gift in this episode in this episode? Like I mentioned before, I thought not. So I still think the title is a failure.

Okay, with a complete House Tarly in season 6 I think good old Samwell just got titanum level plotamour as a gift. But then who didn't already expect him to be Grand Master at the end of the story?

Randyll and OMG!EURON! were a given IMHO. Meribald is a surpirse but not a big one, since some Riverlands need to be there, we need to get back to the Freys in whatever fashion.

I found somewhere a list of the gifts in this episode. It is not only Tyrion as a gift to the watchers...

But did they mention the Gift in this episode in this episode? Like I mentioned before, I thought not. So I still think the title is a failure.

They missed the one of the two things the books actually refer to as the gift, and was set up (potentially) by Arya being ready to be someone else!!! How the fuck do you not have Arya giving the gift in The Gift!!!!!! Even if it was just the little girl from last week being moved to this week instead.

There's no longer any real complexity to this show. It's simplified to the point of absurdness.

- Faith Militant is now Budget ISIS

- No Northern Lords

- No Iron Islands

- Main point of Dorne removed (Arianne)

- No interesting journey for Tyrion through Essos

- King's Landing plot totally simplified

Is there a plot line that is in any way complex? Only Littlefinger's "plan". And that's not complex in a good way. More in a WUT? way.

Amusing things this episode:

Melli-sans-bra mentioning the power of king's blood. Hm, who was that third guy? Related to someone on the show, right?

Dany saying she can't face enemies within and without. WHAT enemies without? You're not being sieged. There is no other problem except the Sons of the Harpy. Also, glad to see that Barristan's death affected you. Straight back to fucking and flirting with Daario, no mention of Barry.

This is ENDEMIC of this season. A thing happens then is IMMEDIATELY forgotten.

This. It's every episode for itself. Very few things that happend in earlier episodes really seem to have consequences on other episodes. Do people remember Jorah has greyscale? Because it is right there on his wrist, but the slavers who put him into irons don't seem to have noticed ...

Oh, and have we talked about how underwhelming Dany's reaction to seeing Jorah again was?

This. It's every episode for itself. Very few things that happend in earlier episodes really seem to have consequences on other episodes. Do people remember Jorah has greyscale? Because it is right there on his wrist, but the slavers who put him into irons don't seem to have noticed ...

Oh, and have we talked about how underwhelming Dany's reaction to seeing Jorah again was?

LOL. Those are some of the least competent slavers ever. First, they're going to kill the dwarf for his cock, not realizing nobody will know if it's a dwarf's or not....then, apparently they forgot all about the cock merchant and huge price tag of the dwarf cock...and brought him to the regular slave auction, then, for some reason, they let him beat senseless a freeman, and still not remembering about his super valuable cock...they sell him for a couple a coins?!

Not to mention the terrible security in the slave pit where Jorah can simply run out there like that. One wonders with nitwits like this in charge, why it took Stormborn and her dragons to liberate them....

They missed the one of the two things the books actually refer to as the gift, and was set up (potentially) by Arya being ready to be someone else!!! How the fuck do you not have Arya giving the gift in The Gift!!!!!! Even if it was just the little girl from last week being moved to this week instead.

:agree:

LOL. Those are some of the least competent slavers ever. First, they're going to kill the dwarf for his cock, not realizing nobody will know if it's a dwarf's or not....then, apparently they forgot all about the cock merchant and huge price tag of the dwarf cock...and brought him to the regular slave auction, then, for some reason, they let him beat senseless a freeman, and still not remembering about his super valuable cock...they sell him for a couple a coins?!

Not to mention the terrible security in the slave pit where Jorah can simply run out there like that. One wonders with nitwits like this in charge, why it took Stormborn and her dragons to liberate them....

Well, my only thought is that a slave actually goes for more than a dwarf cock, or similar amounts. However, dwarves as slaves (in show universe) are worth less because they're less useful. So it initially wouldn't be worth their time to take Tyrion to sell as a slave. However, since they're apparently getting slave-price for him, with cash in hand, they're good for it.

I'm not asking them to spoonfeed anything, but they need to make things where it at least superficially makes sense, and doesn't require a numbers-oriented mind (I'm an accountant. Money is my world) and some creativity to make it seem halfway legitimate.

Also, they let their valuable gladiators kill each other in front of about 3 paying customers. Unless they each paid their life income as an entry fee, it doesn't make sense economically.

Do I hear Nedbert?

Cold open to Ned telling Lyanna that Robert is a great catch because he's muscled like a maiden's fantasy and has eyes as blue and clear as mountain lakes.

Speaking of cold open, why the dusty-fuck were they hellbent on Maggy the Frog? In case we, for one second, thought Carol was unjustified in her paranoia? Despite Marg openly telling Loras she wanted to take her down in the season opener?

Cold open to Ned telling Lyanna that Robert is a great catch because he's muscled like a maiden's fantasy and has eyes as blue and clear as mountain lakes.

Speaking of cold open, why the dusty-fuck were they hellbent on Maggy the Frog? In case we, for one second, thought Carol was unjustified in her paranoia? Despite Marg openly telling Loras she wanted to take her down in the season opener?

They thought it would be cool, edgy and different. And, indeed, it got a lot of praise when it aired, despite the fact that in its watered down version it was a complete waste of time and didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

And, we're down to 3 episodes left and no Part II where she offs Melara.

They thought it would be cool, edgy and different. And, indeed, it got a lot of praise when it aired, despite the fact that in its watered down version it was a complete waste of time and didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

Carol would never off Melara, Cas. She's a struggling tiger-mom who is crushed under the weight of the patriarchy. She'll burn cities down, but only for the safety of her children. Otherwise she's reasonable and relatable.

Actually a lot of people read that scene as bby Carol and Melara being tiny queers. I'm sure Larry was the corrosive influence later on. Hell, the way Carol was talking about him joining the KG in 5x01 made it seem like she didn't have a hand in that.

Carol would never off Melara. She probably gave the girl some larger role in Casterly Rock because "PATRIARCHY" and "Uncle Kevan mysoginist". Carol's our favorite relatable tiger mom.

Also, you'd have to be blind not to notice they keep setting up Carol to burn down King's Landing. That's literally all she can say.

"I will burn their cities to the ground" - 5x02

"For you, I'd burn cities to the ground" - 5x07

"I'll burn our House to the ground" - 4x10.

It's like she doesn't even try anymore.

Carol would never off Melara. She probably gave the girl some larger role in Casterly Rock because "PATRIARCHY" and "Uncle Kevan mysoginist". Carol's our favorite relatable tiger mom.

OMG how did you get in my head?

Also, you'd have to be blind not to notice they keep setting up Carol to burn down King's Landing. That's literally all she can say.

I'm confused about when this would take place...or why at this point. Not that it's ever stopped D&D in the past, of course. But is her trial going to conclude this year?

I'm clinging to the hope that an attempt to sacrifice Shireen will be made, but it will be thwarted in the nick of time, possibly by Davos.

If Olly doesn't stab Jon, he will save Shireen :lol:

I know everyone likes to think that the rumour of the actress who refused to get naked was Emilia Clarke, but it was most likely Natalie Dormer considering that Emilia had a nude scene in season 3.

That rumour got out of hand. What I remember people found out was that Esmee Bianco (Ros) wanted not only taking off her clothes but more participation and the benefits that came with certain scenes (for example, Carice or Emilia had horseriding lessons or such). She was given a plot in season 3, but then they killed her.

Carol is totally going to burn down King's Landing.

Perhaps instead of her coming slowly unhinged once she gets power...they will do it as a result of the walk? So, pre walk, it's Carol, relatable tiger mom saddled with her slow brother Larry and condescending father and hellhole patriarchy of Westeros, and bitch Marg Boleyn but post-walk she will revert back to Cersei amped up to 11?

Maggy the what now? I think the whole thing was just a drunken D&D mistake. They got it into their heads that they just had to do a flashback, then they went and filmed it (it was a long bender) and by the time they sobered up it was too late. They had to use it, so they just shoved it at the very front of the season figuring that no one will remember it by the time the season was over.

If Olly doesn't stab Jon, he will save Shireen :lol:

That rumour got out of hand. What I remember people found out was that Esmee Bianco (Ros) wanted not only taking off her clothes but more participation and the benefits that came with certain scenes (for example, Carice or Emilia had horseriding lessons or such). She was given a plot in season 3, but then they killed her.

Well, he's going to stab Jon, and he'll try to save Shireen, to stop Mel's "revive Azor Ahai" magic from resurrecting Snow because he wants him to stay dead.

And it will be brilliant in D&D's eyes.

And yet the one thing she does burn in the books, The Tower of the Hand, remains decidedly unburnt up to this point. It's like Olenna's "I'll starve King's Landing" threat. It's just the thing she says when she doesn't actually know what to do.

Archived