Windows 10 upgrade/registration "for free"

Arataniello

I reserved my upgrade. But I want to know if I'll lose my pictures during this upgrade? If so, I'll have to postpone the upgrade until I can get an external hd.

Get an external HDD and back up things you don't want to lose anyway. It's a sensible thing to do regardless of whether you're upgrading or not.

You say that, but you only have to google 'windows update broke my computer' to see why people are concerned about this.

I'm running the home edition, along with Norton Security, Malwarebytes Pro, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. The only thing that has ever fucked with my setup is Windows Update. I don't see why Microsoft feel they have the right to force updates on me that might fuck with my machine. Surely if I choose not to update and then get exploited then that's on me, no?

I guess the annoyance factor will depend on how the forced updates are going to work. Am I going to be forced to stop what I'm doing and restart my system as soon as an update is ready to be installed?

Bill Gates piss in your cheerios?

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to installing Windows 10. Seems like a solid OS, everything seems to work fine and there's definitely improvements. Although I'm very annoyed that there's no Aero Glass theme. All the default themes look fucking repulsive compared to glorious Aero Glass. Apparently MS got rid of it because it caused performance issues on their dumb Surface RT thing. 

I asked it to update later... and it promptly ignored me and installed Windows 10 anyway. It's not catastrophically bad, but there are definitely issues. In order of severity:

1) Boot now takes over 2 minutes whereas Windows 7 took less than 30 seconds (same SSD). Access to files also feels slower. I looked at the boot log and it seems it attempts to load some of the .sys files (including dxgkrnl.sys which is responsible for the graphics and WdFilter.sys which does something with the file system) multiple times with only the first time being successful and the others all failing.

1b) There are no instructions on how to use the various diagnostic tools like xbootmgr with Windows 10 so I can't even debug it.

2) The new Start menu is better than not having one at all, but the default "tiles" on there are completely worthless -- I think I kept two out of the twenty that were there. It's bad enough OEMs put adware on PCs, but now Microsoft is doing it in the operating system? Grr... :angry2:  What's worse is that it is not obvious how to configure this "Start menu" to be the way I want -- it should be possible, but I haven't found an easy way to do it.

3) It's ugly. This is the first time I have ever had Windows and Linux releases on my system where the Linux UI is undoubtedly better than the Windows UI. I've tried to make it better by playing with the color schemes and such, but there are certain things which I don't see how to fix. For example, if I set the display scaling to 100%, then everything is very small (it's a 15.6 inch laptop with a 1920x1080 display), but if I set it to 125% (which worked perfectly fine in Windows 7), the UI elements (i.e. close, minimize, etc) of the various applications look too big. In the case of Thunderbird, they actually overlap with another function that is sitting next to the minimize icon. A different example: the active applications on the taskbar no longer have the box around them with their own style, just some text, a small icon and a bar below. It's functionally the same, but quite hideous.

4) They changed all of the default applications from what I was using. I guess they want people to try their new stuff, but it's annoying.

On the other hand, all of the applications appear to have transitioned successfully (i.e. I haven't had to reinstall anything so far) and there are no problems once it has finished booting. It even miraculously preserved the Linux bootloader (which always gets clobbered whenever I do anything non-trivial with Windows).

I asked it to update later... and it promptly ignored me and installed Windows 10 anyway. It's not catastrophically bad, but there are definitely issues. In order of severity:

1) Boot now takes over 2 minutes whereas Windows 7 took less than 30 seconds (same SSD). Access to files also feels slower. I looked at the boot log and it seems it attempts to load some of the .sys files (including dxgkrnl.sys which is responsible for the graphics and WdFilter.sys which does something with the file system) multiple times with only the first time being successful and the others all failing.

1b) There are no instructions on how to use the various diagnostic tools like xbootmgr with Windows 10 so I can't even debug it.

2) The new Start menu is better than not having one at all, but the default "tiles" on there are completely worthless -- I think I kept two out of the twenty that were there. It's bad enough OEMs put adware on PCs, but now Microsoft is doing it in the operating system? Grr... :angry2:  What's worse is that it is not obvious how to configure this "Start menu" to be the way I want -- it should be possible, but I haven't found an easy way to do it.

Strange that you're getting a much longer boot time, the boot time on my SSD is almost exactly the same as Win7 (14 seconds). I removed all those useless tiles on the Start menu and resized it (my name is covered), I think it looks pretty good, not crammed full of shit and I think it's a great idea to have the search windows thing next to it like that. The search windows thing seems a lot more useful in general. The UI is uglier but I think the start menu looks much better (or at least my altered one does). 

Upgraded yesterday, with no problems.  Definitely an improvement over 8.1.  The Edge browser is very fast.  MS Office 2013 programs all load more quickly.  Boot time seems a bit faster and shutdown is defineitely quicker than 8.1  There's enough customization options to make it look pretty.

Strange that you're getting a much longer boot time, the boot time on my SSD is almost exactly the same as Win7 (14 seconds). I removed all those useless tiles on the Start menu and resized it (my name is covered), I think it looks pretty good, not crammed full of shit and I think it's a great idea to have the search windows thing next to it like that. The search windows thing seems a lot more useful in general. The UI is uglier but I think the start menu looks much better (or at least my altered one does). 

The long boot time is clearly some sort of bug -- something about the drivers must have gotten messed up in the transition. It's not the startup programs because I if disable all of them, it's still broken, but on the other hand, if I boot into Safe Mode, it's only about 15 seconds. I'm sure I'll fix it eventually, but it's unpleasant.

For the start menu and task bar, I would like to assign certain directories and programs to the tiles. I've done it for the programs, but the best I've managed for the directories is to pin it to the File Explorer which is not quite as convenient.

You can create new tiles for programs and directories. For programs, right click and choose 'pin to start' and it'll create a tile. From there you can resize, move, etc as you choose. 

Same goes for directories. In file explorer view the base folder, right click on the folder you want and then choose pin to start as well. 

A friend tells me Windows 10 comes with something called Wi-Fi Sense, which searches your computer (hacks it) for your wi-fi password, then shares your password with all your contacts list so that if they are near or in your house they can use your wi-fi.

So... Day 1 upgrade. Pretty impressed overall. Worked quickly and well, reduced the file size for the OS. Edge is pretty nice, just need the extensions now. 

Only issues I've run into since Wednesday were a crash in one game and the need to download a patch for my internet security suite. The game, FWIW, was Total War: Rome II, but that game is pretty buggy anyway, so that's not a massive surprise. If it's a recurring issue it'll have a stability patch soon, I'm sure.

WiFi Sense strikes me as a very Microsoft type of thing - a very useful idea in theory that hasn't necessarily been entirely thought out in practice. I have it turned off, but it could definitely be a great feature with some more tweaks and a little more manual control. It doesn't share your actual PW FWIW, it just essentially shares login credentials - I.e. it will allow the other computer to join your network but the user won't be able to see your password. When you connect to a new WiFi network it asks you whether you want to share the PW as well.

Can anyone confirm if the installation is likely to occur even if you tell it not to? I have mine reserved but I definitely don't have time to deal with the installation and potential problems right now.

It didn't install for me when I told it not to. I've scheduled it for tonight at 4.

It turns out my copy of Windows isn't exactly kosher. I bought this machine on Amazon a couple years ago and I never noticed the OS wasn't included. They sent it with Windows on it and I never actually thought it wasn't included.

So, basically now I'd love to set the record straight and get a valid license and then install Windows 10.

What is the cheapest way to achieve that?

It turns out my copy of Windows isn't exactly kosher. I bought this machine on Amazon a couple years ago and I never noticed the OS wasn't included. They sent it with Windows on it and I never actually thought it wasn't included.

So, basically now I'd love to set the record straight and get a valid license and then install Windows 10.

What is the cheapest way to achieve that?

Probably just to buy a license for Windows 7 (student if you are able,) and then upgrade to Windows 10. Anything prior to 7 can't upgrade, and also isn't a free upgrade, so W7 is the cheapest option in all likelihood. As far as I'm aware, at least. 

It didn't install for me when I told it not to. I've scheduled it for tonight at 4.

Noticed when it didn't automatically update. Hope it doesn't anytime soon, will probably not have time to deal with it for another few weeks at the least.

Another question comes to mind:

My current genuine W7 came with my laptop a few years ago. I have the code and all and I have even reinstalled it successfully from pirated W7 DvDs (because my laptop didn't come with one) and then validated it after installation with the code I have.

I am planning on buying a new PC this fall. This would entail retirement for my laptop. Could I use the genuine W7 code to install W7 on my PC then upgrade to W10 there?

Noticed when it didn't automatically update. Hope it doesn't anytime soon, will probably not have time to deal with it for another few weeks at the least.

Another question comes to mind:

My current genuine W7 came with my laptop a few years ago. I have the code and all and I have even reinstalled it successfully from pirated W7 DvDs (because my laptop didn't come with one) and then validated it after installation with the code I have.

I am planning on buying a new PC this fall. This would entail retirement for my laptop. Could I use the genuine W7 code to install W7 on my PC then upgrade to W10 there?

You should be able to, if you couldn't then I don't see how you'd be able to re-install it in the first place.

Archived