What will be done with Davos now?

No way Davos left Shireen in imminent danger of death by dad. Hello! The camp was raided and set ablaze only hours prior to Davos being sent off for supplies that were lost in the raid. Davos was trying to get Shireen & Selise away from the battlefield is all. He had no clue this awful thing would happen--the morning's excitement was still fresh in his mind. Note that he never offered to take Mel back to safety though.

Davos: How cold hearted could you be ta kill your own daughta?

Stannis: Remember when you advised me not to take Melisandre to Blackwater Bay?

Davos: Yes.

Stannis: We lost that battle without the Red Witch.

Davos: Yes your grace, but are enemies are weak now, we can still claim the Iron Throne.

Stannis: Remember when I wanted to sacrifice Gendry to the Lord of Light because of the power in his King's blood?

Davos: Of course I do.

Stannis: Do you remember smuggling him away too?

Davos: Yes your grace, it was the right thing to do.

Stannis: Finally Davos, do you remember when I asked you, "what is the life of one bastard boy against an entire kingdom"?

Davos: Everything your grace.

StannisL Turns out the correct answer was Shireen.

Davos: uhh....

Davos makes a sad face and goes back to being Davos.

I think this sums it up for me in regards to Davos knowing about Shireen.

I will have a very hard time watching his grief and rage over Shireen, but I'd have an even harder time watching him go back to Stannis. I am praying that when he hears about it, he finally severs ties and tells Stannis that not only will he not be coming back from Castle Black with supplies, he will be seeing him in hell.

I think Davos was uneasy about it on some level, but I don't think he knew exactly what was going to happen on a conscious level -- if he was, there's no way he would have gone that quietly. He went to extraordinary lengths to save Gendry, setting him free even at risk of forfeiting his own life, and he didn't even know Gendry; he would never just abandon Shireen to being burned alive after a couple of indirect verbal attempts to take her with him.

You are right. He loved her like a daughter. No way he just walks away, especially after going through all of that just for Gendry.

*ahem*

I just had a thought (posted in the episode 10 forum). Stannis takes Winterfell (with Sansa's help); Stannis gets ready to burn Sansa (she has king's blood and, darnit, the Wifi went out); Brienne arrives in time to save Sansa, and also to honor her vow to avenge Renly, by killing Stannis; Selyse, mad with grief, kills Melisandre then herself; Davos arrives back from the Wall in time to order the men (now attacking Brienne) to stand down. They obey. Sansa feeds and shelters them; they in turn swear fealty to her. The Starks are restored, the North rallies to her again, and Davos gets to remain the hero, unsullied by further complicity with King Stannis Stinkbug or by dereliction of duty. Best of all, once that's done, we have a plausible basis for Davos being sent to fetch Rickon -- now on the orders of his queen, Sansa, and perhaps enriched by knowledge given him by Sam during his last visit to Castle Black.

Interested in thoughts on this -- it'd be a lot to cram into one episode, but it would wrap up this whole mess pretty neatly, wouldn't it?

Davos knew it yet he walked away without Shireen. That is another travesty of D&D.

Yeah, that was my take as well, so it will be interesting what they have him do when his fears are confirmed. I can't see Davos sticking with Stannis after this, I can't see him being persuaded to stay, so my guess would be that he will break w/Stannis and go off to find Rickon, else it will be another character assassination.

Davos: I've been thinking, Your Grace. If you are Azor Ahai, why bother with the Iron Throne?

Stannis: Because I must lead the Seven Kingdoms to fulfil my destiny.

Davos: Begging your pardon, Your Grace. I'm no scholar, but I have become familiar with the Azor Ahai prophecy from my travels. I don't recall any mention of Seven Kingdoms or thrones, or even Kings, for that matter.

Stannis: Details. Did I mention we're burning Shireen today?

Davos: Yes. About that, Your Grace. You realize that this will leave you without an heir if - er, when - you do aquire the throne?

Melisandre: The Lord of Light cares not for the realm or rules of men. Azor Ahai must sacrifice one that he loves.

Davos: Again, begging you pardon, but why all the talk about "king's blood", then?

Stannis: We are burning Shireen to advance our war for the Iron Throne.

Davos: Yes, Your Grace. I just don't remember that Iron Throne part in any prophecy I've ever heard.

Melisandre: Creatively it made sense. So we're doing it.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but in a recent interview on Irish radio Liam Cunningham said that Davos will be a very different character after the events of episode 9 (or something along these lines - I only heard this from my dad who knows of my love for the Onion Lord.)

I think we can see Davos turning his back on Stannis after this one. I think Davos will reach Castle Black (which is apparently only a few days from Winterfell in the show, even during a savage snowstorm) and be the catalyst for Jon's assassination. I suspect Stannis will not survive the finale ( :( ) so we can expect Davos to probably to enact the Find Rickon plot - or so we can hope.

Davos: I've been thinking, Your Grace. If you are Azor Ahai, why bother with the Iron Throne?

Stannis: Because I must lead the Seven Kingdoms to fulfil my destiny.

Davos: Begging your pardon, Your Grace. I'm no scholar, but I have become familiar with the Azor Ahai prophecy from my travels. I don't recall any mention of Seven Kingdoms or thrones, or even Kings, for that matter.

Stannis: Details. Did I mention we're burning Shireen today?

Davos: Yes. About that, Your Grace. You realize that this will leave you without an heir if - er, when - you do aquire the throne?

Melisandre: The Lord of Light cares not for the realm or rules of men. Azor Ahai must sacrifice one that he loves.

Davos: Again, begging you pardon, but why all the talk about "king's blood", then?

Stannis: We are burning Shireen to advance our war for the Iron Throne.

Davos: Yes, Your Grace. I just don't remember that Iron Throne part in any prophecy I've ever heard.

Melisandre: Creatively it made sense. So we're doing it.

I don't understand this thinking. He could just have another heir. Or name someone else. Would good is an heir if the WW has killed everyone anyway. Dany can't have heirs either, yet she still wants to be queen.

Thinking about it some more. I'm certain Davos new that Shireen was in danger. You can tell by the looks he'd give to Mel and him wanting Shireen back at Castle Black. Problem is he didn't know how soon Shireen was going to be killed. I could see Davos rushing as fast as he can to Jon to get food and supplies in the hope it would stop what would happen. When he gets to CB he'll learn he never had a chance anyway.

Davos is going to take the black in the show. Show-Davos has no children, has no liege lord he can respect anymore, has lost a little girl that's like a daughter to him, and will most likely need to take the black to avoid Stannis' twisted sense of justice.

Davos knew it yet he walked away without Shireen. That is another travesty of D&D.

He didn't know. He said he'd read the Dance with Dragons with her when he returned in a few days' time. He probably suspects something's amiss, but he probably just chalks it up to winter-induced insanity on Stannis' part after losing all their supplies. I doubt he'll be bringing those supplies to Stannis after this, though.

I don't understand this thinking. He could just have another heir. Or name someone else. Would good is an heir if the WW has killed everyone anyway. Dany can't have heirs either, yet she still wants to be queen.

Stannis is married to a practically barren wife who is old. He's not going to have any more heirs unless he burns Selyse at the stake and marries a fertile Frey. Daenerys bases her claim to barrenness entirely on the word of a deceitful maegi who tried to ruin her life. It's entirely possible she had a small miscarriage on the Dothraki Sea while flying around with Drogon eating whatever the hell free-ranging dragon's eat. It's entirely possible she'll have kids, eventually, with the next dude she lets put it in her.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but in a recent interview on Irish radio Liam Cunningham said that Davos will be a very different character after the events of episode 9 (or something along these lines - I only heard this from my dad who knows of my love for the Onion Lord.)

I think we can see Davos turning his back on Stannis after this one. I think Davos will reach Castle Black (which is apparently only a few days from Winterfell in the show, even during a savage snowstorm) and be the catalyst for Jon's assassination. I suspect Stannis will not survive the finale ( :( ) so we can expect Davos to probably to enact the Find Rickon plot - or so we can hope.

I really hope that the Shireen burning pushes Davos to stop trying to play the good soldier/ advisor and to strike out on his own in order to try and do the right thing rather than following another disappointing 'leader'.

He didn't know. He said he'd read the Dance with Dragons with her when he returned in a few days' time. He probably suspects something's amiss, but he probably just chalks it up to winter-induced insanity on Stannis' part after losing all their supplies. I doubt he'll be bringing those supplies to Stannis after this, though.

Yeah, all his worrisome looks and tender moments mit Shireen could also be simply because he knows how dangerous her situation is in general, part of a starving army in a snow storm marching to battle is no place for a child. Could be just a case of "you are going to be alright, but just in case we never see each other again, here is how much you mean to me."

If Davos doesn't take the Black and returns to Stannis we will be waiting for him to become worm food as much as Stannis.

That some argue Stannis was "right" just shows the need for teaching the scientific method of observation and repeatable predictive results needs to be continually restated and taught till it becomes as second nature as "belief."

Just because you took an army to war and are now starving and a lady you are screwing says her God wants to sacrifice your only daughter and the weather will change, and you will win your war. You should have burned the red witch and said, "If you have so much faith. Surely your God will take you as an offering and if does as you say, I will take Him as my God." It was coin flip with the weather anyway.

And against Roose, veryone knows Stannis is the better general.

If Mel's magic works she and her God takes credit, if not she would need to burn someone else like your wife and after the wife who would be left?

Stannis is married to a practically barren wife who is old. He's not going to have any more heirs unless he burns Selyse at the stake and marries a fertile Frey. Daenerys bases her claim to barrenness entirely on the word of a deceitful maegi who tried to ruin her life. It's entirely possible she had a small miscarriage on the Dothraki Sea while flying around with Drogon eating whatever the hell free-ranging dragon's eat. It's entirely possible she'll have kids, eventually, with the next dude she lets put it in her.

He's got Mel. Didn't the Targaryens practice polygamy? Now I know that the Faith doesn't allow that and everything but we all know Stannis would most likely get rid of the Faith completely. Or he could just get rid of Selyse on account of her being barren and marry someone else.

But in the end none of that matters. He's fighting to save the world. In his eyes, their aren't going to be a world to have an heir in. This I think is the logic Mel would've used.

Archived