What will be done with Davos now?

Book Stannis had at least 1 hostage to keep Davos loyal. Show Stannis has no hostages.

Davos can either take a path for revenge (killing Melisandre at the very least), or join Salladhor Saan and have adventures across the narrow sea (I prefer the second option)

Unless the show runners decide to do the whole hunt for Rickon subplot, Davos is a dead man walking. Really, he had no point this season but to stand around Stannis. And the thing he could have done and should have, save Shireen, he didn't do. So he's done. Probably by next espisode or beginning of next year.

Can anyone explain how Davos would know about Shireen?

They allow news to get around when they want it and to be kept secret when they want it. :) For example. somehow Jaime Lannister has no idea that his sister has been taken prisoner--though I'm sure that the first thing that Qyburn would have done would be to dispatch a raven or send a messenger. Meanwhile, Cersei is able to get a message to LF even though he has left the Eyrie without her knowledge. However, like the Red Wedding, gossip about Stannis burning his daughter is too good for people to keep to themselves. People might desert his army and spread the story . Or they must have to pass a town or two and the news could be spread that way.

I think that it's most likely that Davos will be dispatched to find Rickon (and Bran--depending on who sends him and whether he/she knows the boys are separated). However, I kinda like the idea that Davos will take the black and become the 999th LC of the NW after Jon gets the Julius Caesar treatment.

I heart Davos so much - he's an everyman in a crazy world, trying to do the best he can, but having faith in idiots :D

I'd pay good money to see him just punch Stannis, then turn on his heel to take the black. That's where the true battle for everything is.

And good point above regarding him as a soldier/warrior - that isn't his speciality. Time to ship in some onions and save thousands of mean-as Nights Watchmen and spear wives and wildlings who can stem the tide against the real enemy Mel has got distracted from. Time for Tycho Nestoris to see some white walkers and think "Maybe we oughta fund this battle against the dead? Don't want these inarticulate noncapitalists making it to Essos!"

Priorities, people! Onions and zombie killing!

Can anyone explain how Davos would know about Shireen?

I rewatched this episode and from the very beginning Davos knew what Stannis was going to do with Shireen and her Kings Blood. He knew when he glanced over to Mel and Selyse after the camp fires. He knew when Stannis refused to let him take Shireen to the Wall. He knew when he kissed Shireen goodbye, it's all there in the episode. Davos is not a stupid guy, everything was plain to see for him in regards to Shireen.

What could he have done? Taken her with him? Stannis would know and hunt him down kill both of them anyways. Stannis knew what he was doing when he was sending Davos away, and Davos knew it too!

I believe Davos has said his final goodbyes to Stannis and the Baratheons as he makes his way to the Wall and is letting Stannis march to his family's doom and in turn will pledge his allegiance to the last remaining Starks. It is obvious that no matter who prevails at the Battle of Winterfell, they are doomed.

Unless the show runners decide to do the whole hunt for Rickon subplot, Davos is a dead man walking. Really, he had no point this season but to stand around Stannis. And the thing he could have done and should have, save Shireen, he didn't do. So he's done. Probably by next espisode or beginning of next year.

Davos will surely learn from Sansa/Theon that Bran and Rickon are alive and he'll be going to find Rickon.

They allow news to get around when they want it and to be kept secret when they want it. :) For example. somehow Jaime Lannister has no idea that his sister has been taken prisoner--though I'm sure that the first thing that Qyburn would have done would be to dispatch a raven or send a messenger. Meanwhile, Cersei is able to get a message to LF even though he has left the Eyrie without her knowledge. However, like the Red Wedding, gossip about Stannis burning his daughter is too good for people to keep to themselves. People might desert his army and spread the story . Or they must have to pass a town or two and the news could be spread that way.

I think that it's most likely that Davos will be dispatched to find Rickon (and Bran--depending on who sends him and whether he/she knows the boys are separated). However, I kinda like the idea that Davos will take the black and become the 999th LC of the NW after Jon gets the Julius Caesar treatment.

No one knows Jaime is in Dorn besides Cersei, and she knows she can't send word and alert them to his presence.

Stavos is dead. Fuck you, D&D.

Even if Davos had an idea of what would happen, he probably felt like Stannis would never allow it ultimately. So pretty sure Davos is really gonna be rather done with Stannis after he learns about this. So what is he gonna do? I do think they kept Davos around the Wall and Jon so he could be absorbed into that fold. Looks like Jon is slowly getting his own kingsguard-like team.

Tormund = his Arthur Dayne

Sam = The Maester

Edd = The Loyalist

Davos = possibly The Hand

Davos going back to Castle Black, will likely join Team Jon after the mess that will transpire there and him learning about Shireen. Its also likely that the Pink Letter will show up, thus making Davos believe Stannis is dead anyway. Either way, Davos is Team Jon in the show eventually. I agree with the others who say Sansa will likely be the one to send him on a mission to find Rickon.

I won't suprised if Tormund or Edd will die in the finale.I will hate it after Hardhome and Tormund's death doesn't make much of a sense,but this is GoT and D&D.

There's no way Davos knew what was going to happen to Shireen. He wouldn't have just given her a hug and a toy and rode off. Just, no. He's not stupid, but he is blind where Stannis is concerned.

And he will not go back to Stannis now, but I also believe he would never kill Stannis either. I think he will get entangled in the shit going down at the wall and end up trying to help Jon or Sansa, not because he is necessarily in favor of Starks ruling, but because with no Stannis to serve he will be lost.

There's no way Davos knew what was going to happen to Shireen. He wouldn't have just given her a hug and a toy and rode off. Just, no. He's not stupid, but he is blind where Stannis is concerned.

And he will not go back to Stannis now, but I also believe he would never kill Stannis either. I think he will get entangled in the shit going down at the wall and end up trying to help Jon or Sansa, not because he is necessarily in favor of Starks ruling, but because with no Stannis to serve he will be lost.

Davos finds out about Shireen's fate and then saving Sansa would have a certain beauty of storytelling: He failed one young girl and tries to succeed in saving another.

And, yes, Sansa may then ask him to find Bran and Rickon. He would agree since he has realized that Stannis will never be be the one to bring peace to the North.

I so much hope that Brienne gets the honor to off Stannis, may she and Pod survive.

Edit: Davos won't have to get back to Stannis or to Winterfell in order to find out about the burning of Shireen. Stannis' murderous intention will be in Stannis' letter Davos himself gives to Jon and Jon will read it to him. So maybe he will not go back, will not meet Sansa but go straightaway after Rickon from the Wall.

Or will Jon ask Davos to save Sansa, the other young girl, since he might fear for his sister's life just as much if she is in the hands of Stannis instead of Ramsay?

Davos won't bump into Sansa/Theon because geography is a thing. They're already a few miles north of WF when Davos leaves for Castle Black. Meanwhile, IF Sansa and Theon escape and flee north, they will be on foot (and likely broken bones). Then again, it's D&D. And regarding Tormund, he has kept the beard this entire offseason (although I recently saw a video of him "shaving" it - an inch off a stray hair), so that's promising at least!

If Sansa continues following Jayne Poole's story then she will be sent to the wall by Stannis.

The Davos actor says he find's out in the next episode that Shireen has been burnt. I think this news must come from Stannis himself via raven (maybe from inside Winterfell?) as the Roose actor said his character didn't know of the Shireen burning so I doubt Ramsay will either. Unless Selyse abandons Stan runs to the wall I'm not sure how the news would get to him.

I wonder if both show and book Davos will switch allegiance to Rickon. Davos is best in the father role and Rickon is still too young too make much impact on the plot alone. Maybe in the show Davos just meet some random northern guy who tells him about Shireen and Rickon and Davos decides to go after the Stark kid to undermine both Stannis's and Roose's hold on the north.

If Sansa continues following Jayne Poole's story then she will be sent to the wall by Stannis.

The Davos actor says he find's out in the next episode that Shireen has been burnt. I think this news must come from Stannis himself via raven (maybe from inside Winterfell?) as the Roose actor said his character didn't know of the Shireen burning so I doubt Ramsay will either. Unless Selyse abandons Stan runs to the wall I'm not sure how the news would get to him.

I wonder if both show and book Davos will switch allegiance to Rickon. Davos is best in the father role and Rickon is still too young too make much impact on the plot alone. Maybe in the show Davos just meet some random northern guy who tells him about Shireen and Rickon and Davos decides to go after the Stark kid to undermine both Stannis's and Roose's hold on the north.

At least one thing is certain (most likely). No matter how Davos finds out about Shireen next week, when it comes to his loyalty to Stannis, that ship has sailed.

Davos finds out about Shireen's fate and then saving Sansa would have a certain beauty of storytelling: He failed one young girl and tries to succeed in saving another.

I think, hope, you're right. I feel the connection between these 2 controversial story turns, raping of Sansa, killing of Shireen. Davos is best known for his kindness, he'll want to help Jon/Sansa, the Starks in general. I don't think the Davos/Jon convo about needing the Northern Lords in like episode 2 was for nothing.

I don't think, that Davos knew, when he left, that Stannis would burn Shireen. As others pointed out: there is no way, Davos would have allowed that. In his scene with her, he could simply have told her, that he has orders from her dad, to take her back to Castle Black and she would probably had gone with him.

I think, he feared, that Melisandre could do something to the girl, but I guess, he trusted in Stannis to stop her. His main concern seemed to be cold, hunger and the upcoming battle. And all those are very good reasons to fear for Shireens life without adding her psychopathic father to the mix.

About what Davos is doing after this and the possibility of him supporting the Starks: I think, it is possible that he would help the Starks. They are mainly children too and after what had happened to Shireen, I think, he would rather help other children to stay alive and well than participating in any form in the game of thrones. Besides Davos might not be a northerner, but he surely shares the values of most people (with obvious exceptions like the Boltons) there. I always thought, that he would have liked Eddard Stark a lot. He surely likes Jon Snow (in both book and show).

So if he happened to get the information about Bran and Rickon being alive, he would probably try to help them - and keep them out of Melisandres claws .

The search for Bran and Rickon might also give him a little time to think about what to do with Stannis - bringing some distance between him and his former king seems like a sensible thing to do. I don't think, that he would rush like a madman into Stannis camp and get killed while trying to confront Stannis. I think, he will make sure, something like Shireen isn't happen again and therefore, he needs a plan. I can't see him loosing it, become a drunk or something like that, he seems too down to earth for that.

All other possibilities are tied to the timing: If he gets teh information about the WW army before FTW is happening, he could decide to stay, maybe take the black so that Stannis could not intervene and fight with the watch. If not, he might still try to send provisions back to Stannis' camp, because he knows, that the lifes of thousands of people are depending on that and that not all of them are guilty for Shireens death.

The only thing, I can't see for Davos is returning into Stannis' services. After Shireen, tehre is no going back for Davos.

About how he gets the information of Shireens death: I could imagine Stannis himself sending a letter to the wall. He is many things - mad murderer among them, but he has always be honest. I can't see Stannis trying to lie or sugarcoating. So the letter might already waiting for him at the wall.

No one knows Jaime is in Dorn besides Cersei, and she knows she can't send word and alert them to his presence.

I got the impression from her conversation with Qyburn that she had tried to send a message to Jaime for help, but I could be wrong.

About how he gets the information of Shireens death: I could imagine Stannis himself sending a letter to the wall. He is many things - mad murderer among them, but he has always be honest. I can't see Stannis trying to lie or sugarcoating. So the letter might already waiting for him at the wall.

You're right about Stannis's tendency to be honest, but he won't advertise the fact of his daughter's sacrifice without reason. However, he would now need an heir. A couple of somewhat crazy options would be: 1) to adopt Jon Snow and name him heir (which would be a reason to send a note to the wall and explain that Shireen is dead) and 2) Plan to cast aside Selyse for a new wife. He could send Davos with an overture to some eligible woman (Asha/Yara, a highborn Northern woman, etc). and that might justify a letter to the wall.

Very slightly more likely, Roose/Ramsay hear about it and send ravens out to the world about Stannis's crime (like Stannis did re: Jaime and Cersei in Season 2 Ep 1). (By the way, is Sansa considered king's blood since her brother was a king? If so, it can be positioned that she is at risk from Stannis too.

Archived