Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

Chebyshov

You know what else was a popular show that received amazing critical reviews? House.

House...

I started to watch House in the final season and then, the whole series once it finished. I never got the hype (idem for Heroes, which I just watched a couple of years ago). I can see why the show is something people like, but it's definitely not a show I would say is "OMG!!!". That, of course, putting Hugh Laurie's (and the rest of the cast) talent aside.

The problem with shows like House is that there is a glorification of certain characters that should be praised for their characterization, but they shouldn't be presented as someone we should cheer for. Like, no one should aspire to be like House, nor any women should ever want to find a guy like House. This is something we see often lately. The shows are more prone to praise the villain/antagonists rather than the good guys, because "we all are dark within!!!". That's what D&D have done with Ramsay.

It was also where they stated that "Dany is smart, she drops the ring like a breadcrumb" hoping someone will find it.

Wait what? How bout she yells yo Drogo, fire and blood time. Drops the ring like a breadcrumb? And, again, they're proud of this stupidity, because they mention it in their vanity interview.

They just never make any sense. Like you said, Drogon is right there. From D&D's own words, he senses when "mommy" (gag) is in danger. This was so much better than her standing strong next to Drogon as she's eating smoking meat.

People keep mentioning Carol and Larry, who are they?

Since Cersei and Jaime's characters are unrecognizable on the show, yet are still pretty consistent (moreso in the case of Cersei) characters in their own right, people on this board and in the book snob community on Tumblr have started calling them Carol and Larry (thanks to users Chebyshev and Julia Martell)

They also said he's like Ned, honor got him killed, he's a hero, hero's are impulsive?!...but, the fact that Olly would be mentioned at all, let alone be like their prime subject was ridiculous.

God, they fucking love Olly and it's so fucking stupid. He's going to be around next season, isn't he?

I think D&D are really bad writers and not really capable of critical thinking. But I think a huge part of the problem is that they took a lot of cues from casual, easily pleased fans. Way back when the show first started, people just went crazy for the pimpin', wisecracking midget, the hot naked dragon lady, the big badass guy who said "fuck the king", the small badass serial killer girl etc - and that's what they ran with. They're basically trying to haphazardly string together a series of meme-worthy scenes. Who cares about characterization, themes and plot when the internet is covered in Colonel Sandors?

They really just want a show that will be talked about and get the viewing numbers. Whatever it takes to get there.

Jorah and Daario are clearly going to search the whole fucking Dothraki Sea for clues (and the nearby dragon with pile of charred bones wasn't enough)...come on, you guys. Act of brilliance by Dany and D&D.

You forgot that they'll totally find the ring. #Aragorn

Maegor III was one of many clues that led me to the same conclusion. I doubt they'd have shown any fidelity at all had a guy like Brian Cogman not been on the show.

It is so weird, but I honestly think that the critics are so desperate to remain relevant and generate page views for their e-zines that they're latching onto popular shows and praising them to the moon. Consider, the best season imo was still the first. It was loyal to the first book, had a 12 episode run rather than a 10, took its time to develop its characters and had the strongest acting to date. But it was the lowest rated based on critical metric sites. But at the time it was new, hadn't developed its more insane completely book-free fanbase it now enjoys.

That's why I don't even bother with reviewers that much any more. They're too compromised by the notion of riding popular trends, and most are aggressively philistine-ish regarding fidelity to the source material.

Yeah Maegor III was classic and we had some D&D apologists say that Mace is actually playing the fool and he did that on purpose to keep up the roose. I mean Mace Tyrell presently in the books is the most powerful man in Westeros and they made him into a buffoon on the show. And, I agree S1 was the best.

- No Dornish master plan. No "fire and blood." No Doran doing ANYTHING, AT ALL.

- No redemption for the outrageously awful Dornish storyline and characters.

- No fAegon reveal. They had the perfect opportunity, the PERFECT opportunity to give Trystane that role in a way that would have made absolute sense and streamlined all sorts of characters and plots, and they threw it away.

- No release of Viserion and Rhaegal.

- Every scene and every major event was rushed except Cersei's, which probably had the least amount of actual stuff happening, yet took a total of FOURTEEN MINUTES. An entire damned quarter of the episode spent on Cersei getting a haircut and someone repeating "Shame" over and over and over again. AN ENTIRE QUARTER. SERIOUSLY?!

- Jon's last word being "Olly."

- Not really out of the episode itself, but all these interviews with everyone saying Jon Is Super Dead and Kit Is Not Coming Back Next Season. Because there's no way he's permanently dead in the books. So I can't see how he's going to be permanently dead in the show. And for the show to change that much of the story is unacceptable.

But the thing that bothered me the most...

- The khalasar finding Daenerys alone instead of with Drogon. That was one of my favorite scenes of the books, and it was epic as hell in my head. A horde of barbarians who quite literally worship horseriding finding a former khaleesi riding THE BIGGEST AND MOST INCREDIBLE MOUNT IN THE WORLD, reduced to sleepy Drogon and Daenerys leaving A Clue behind so she can be found later instead of, I don't know, CALLING HER DRAGON?

House...

I started to watch House in the final season and then, the whole series once it finished. I never got the hype (idem for Heroes, which I just watched a couple of years ago). I can see why the show is something people like, but it's definitely not a show I would say is "OMG!!!". That, of course, putting Hugh Laurie's (and the rest of the cast) talent aside.

The problem with shows like House is that there is a glorification of certain characters that should be praised for their characterization, but they shouldn't be presented as someone we should cheer for. Like, no one should aspire to be like House, nor any women should ever want to find a guy like House. This is something we see often lately. The shows are more prone to praise the villain/antagonists rather than the good guys, because "we all are dark within!!!". That's what D&D have done with Ramsay.

D&D are nihilistic and dark because those are rather easy things to sell in this day and age. The weird ass glorification of Ramsay is disturbing. You can see how much fun they're having with him, and just how far they're going to paint him as some sort of Joker-esque archvillain whose every plan succeeds flawlessly.

In the books he was more vile but also more realistic, a cunning, quick-thinking monster who nonetheless was every bit the inexperienced, callow youth he ought to be.

I'm a big fan of this thread but one this I find utterly perplexing here is how most people actually watch and critique "Inside the episode" with D&D. Admittedly i've never seen it but why on earth would anyone watch that? I'd sooner take a trip to the dentist

Same! I don't even think I've heard D&D speak, and don't know what Weiss even looks like. I refuse to put myself through that after I already forced myself through this season.

It's funny just how quick the Positive Nitpicking thread died out this week. There are a few positive things to point out, but people can't be bothered anymore.

Wait, is it seriously still at 0 replies? I stick to just this thread 'round these parts.

GRRM needs to pull a Stannis and take back what is his by rights. Finish the books George!

Also, it's disappointing that Elio and Linda are going to be done making vids for now because I just found out about them and they're awesome!

I'll miss Linda making Elio blush with regards to appreciation for the nude female bodies in each episode. They don't really like the same things I like in the series, but they were fair. This last episode's video they did, while going to great lengths to say they aren't Stannis fans, made no equivocation that this was the cheapest and worst way possible to end his character, an end they acknowledge he didn't deserve.

Same! I don't even think I've heard D&D speak, and don't know what Weiss even looks like. I refuse to put myself through that after I already forced myself through this season.

Wait, is it seriously still at 0 replies? I stick to just this thread 'round these parts.

Probably the same reason I watched this, my final episode of Game of Thrones. Because we have to see just how big a train-wreck it is, we've got that urge to delve into the schlock.

Every single one of these videos from day one has been nigh unbearable, simply because they're so arrogant but also comically clueless. They're living, breathing trolls.

I'll miss Linda making Elio blush with regards to appreciation for the nude female bodies in each episode. They don't really like the same things I like in the series, but they were fair. This last episode's video they did, while going to great lengths to say they aren't Stannis fans, made no equivocation that this was the cheapest and worst way possible to end his character, an end they acknowledge he didn't deserve.

I can't find that. can someone link?

What videos? I feel so out of the loop.

Have you guys seen the meme about forgiving Melisandre if she brings Jon back?

That actually makes me lose faith in humanity. Burning an innocent child alive is alright as long as you revive the hot white guy.

I'm way too scared that D&D think that way as well.

At this point I'm just hoping she sticks around long enough to revive Jon, after which Davos stabs her and says "Did you see this in your fires, red bitch?"

*Olly also stabs* OLLY: Fuck YOUUUUU!

*Mel dies. Jon and Olly nod at one another."

Archived