Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 2 (Book Spoilers)

Preston Jacob's Episode 10 Review

I mean, it's pretty funny how he still seems to cling to BS such as Daario = Euron, but his points about the shows inconsistencies and plot holes are pretty spot-on and hilarious.

I'm still waiting to see if GRRM responds on his blog about the finale. There is still a question waiting to be answered:

"Hey don't forget about the Son of Kong while you're at it! Also any thoughts about the finale?" (Link)

I'm also looking forward to Miodrag's review over here. Tomorrow, I hope. I need some closure on this clusterfuck of a season.

I love how they show Arya going blind after she says she's blind. Shouldn't they have reversed those shots?

I think they did it that way because they'll link her punishment to the awakening of her skinchanging abilities.

I concede it may be wishful thinking. :)

I came to ASOIAF through season 1 of GoT which was moving and fascinating. The subsequent seasons were not nearly as god, but still tolerable. Season 5 jumped the shark. With Sansa's rape, Stannis's bizarre character mutilation, the Dorne disaster, Balon's strange survival, and the mishandling of the "For The Watch" theme with Jon Snow.

I feel the show runners have botched the material utterly. Shireen may die in the boos, but it will be a terrible and moving and meaningful death. Stannis may buckle, but the stakes will be far greater and his end will be far nobler. Jon's life may be different and altered after the stabbing, but the book reader audience was not told that he was definitely dead. (If this is just to get high ratings for his return, it is even worse).

The show seems to have nothing against the Bolton’s, just kind of sees them as regular guys. We are told to be angry about the men Stannis and Melisandre burned but not the women Ramsay tortured, raped, and killed. We are preached little morality tales about religious fanaticism, which are anachronistic, and not in the books, whose greatness lies in their absence of sermonettes.

The books are set in a fictional world with its own richness and history, The TV show is an exploitative melodrama set against a very thin background and sensationalized.

That Shireen and Myrcella's deaths were moved forward meant season 5 was as full of dead or raped princesses as the battlefields of the Somme were of the corpuses of soldiers.

It's a good thing Shakespeare didn't have to deal with show runners.

I actually have a problem with Arya going blind on the show. I know this is the most shocking (shocking!) development for Arya in the books, and I know that many book readers wanted to see it, but there was a point to her blindness in the books. Without her eyes, she learns how to use her warging abilities. In the show Arya and Jon are not wargs, so I really don't see the point in her going blind, other than OMG ShOckIng!!?@! aArya is BlInD oh em gee

I bet it will be resolved in the first episode of season 6.

YAY!!!!!!!

:cheers:

I'd like to get into the HoBaW a bit. I don't get that scene. Who is fake Jaqen? A life for a death, fine, but who is that bloke and why is he willingly drinking poison? Why are there two Jaqen faces, two Arya faces? The faces are supposed to be unique, they're actual faces, from actual people. Not something you buy from a wholesaler or at poundland.

That scene made absolutely no sense beyond "ooh, creepy!"

I watched the season finale again, but actually got a laugh out of many of the inconsistencies this time instead of questioning them. The traitor sign is still my favorite cameo appearance. Who knew junior high wood shop would pay off.

Were Melisandre and Davos supposed to be the Pink Letter?

And, yes, the Walk of Shame cgi was very jarring. The angle of Cersei's head on the body double was just . . .

The traitor sign :lol: anyone think it's hilarious how the word "traitor" looks like it was drawn on by a 5 year old? Like, I had to double check to make sure the R wasn't backwards. It's obvious Olly the Fetus did an arts & crafts project before the stabbing.

I don't even have the will to rant anymore people.

Fucking hell. The finale had the largest first time audience of any episode of GOT. More than the premier. So, 'bad pussy' is totally validated. Shock and awe is totally validated.

All the horses are gone except the one Mel rode off on is validated. Nobody but us book nerds care about errors and inconsistencies and blatant stupidity of characters like Stannis, the great military commander planning to attack a moated castle in the day time.

Bad pussy. Controversy. Action. CGI dragons is what people want to watch.

You're right. That's what audiences want, and D&D are rewarded for giving it to them.

I wish they would just break all ties from the books though, so people stop relating the two (like what they did with Dexter and the Sookie Stackhouse novels - no one thinks the shows follow those books at all, and GoT should go the same way).

Yep, a great question! I asked in the last thread and I ask again: who willingly commits suicide to pay someone else's (in this case, Arya's) supposed debt to the Many-Faced God? And, if such a thing were to happen, WHY? Nothing but more nonsense :rolleyes:

Exactly. I thought he was just gonna make her kill the Thin Man to "pay" or whatever.

I was talking to my friends this morning, I had to go to school for an exam. Everyone was hyped about Game of Thrones, even people I didn't know had watched it. I finally got asked what I thought of the episode, and I let it all out. Thanks to you guys for some material I was able to cite.

I said this was easily the worst season yet. They all looked at me like I was speaking Mandarin. They didn't seem to take in my points. The group I was in are all book readers and all intelligent people, all of them got A*s in English when they did it at GCSE, so I consider them smart and able to analyse a text and gleam meaning from it.

They honestly couldn't understand why I didn't like this series. And I couldn't fathom how they thought this was a good portrayal of the characters they loved. I can't really explain it, but I guess the hype blinded them. They remember what Game of Thrones used to be, and miss its flaws. I also think they need a reread because they haven't read the books in a year or so, and maybe they can't remember the characterisations.

Basically, I can't even retreat to my best friends to swap complaint stories anymore, you guys are all I've got :crying:

Yay I'm glad we can all be there for each other :)

I have a weird problem: my shownly friends hate the show now and don't even want to talk about it. So I can't rant to them, even though they do hate it as much as I do. My one book reader friend also hates the show so much he stopped watching a while ago. So I have no one to rant about this season with, except you all :wub:

At least I'm done after this season, but I will be back to this particular thread next seasons because I love it.

YEAH!!!

*cartwheels around*

He then proceeded to say, "showing a man losing it all would have shocked our audience. And we don't want them to feel their sensitivities are attacked".

Makes you think about their priorities re: showing women being brutalized but showing Stannis' clean death by sword would be "too much" :rolleyes:

I don't think the show will actually spoil anything. For example, what the show is spoiling about Stannis that we didn't figure out on our own? That he won't sit on the Throne? Even his most rabid fans are ok. with this as long as he plays a good role in the general storyline.

According to the Show, Stannis will burn Shireen to have good chances when he faces the Boltons.

In the books, not only he has parted there with Shireen still alive and relatively safe but considering he's one of the "lies" Dany is meant to slay, is very likely the both will meet. So, Stannis won't lose the Battle of Winterfell nor I think will die before Dany arrives.

What else can the show spoil? That Jon dies? There is no way he dies in the books this soon. That Dany will be crowned by the Dothrakis? We already knew that. That Meereen problems will be solved by something else than her? Actually, I think mostly are expecting this (putting aside Tyrion's holiness).

So, I think we readers are fine. :dunno:

I Agree I think we are safe because to say they spoiled it means we have to buy into contradictions because people assume now in the forum that Stannis dies in the Battle of Winterfell even though he has to be freakin alive to do the deed. So I don't understand why people on the board already posting this nonsense on the General ( ASOIAF) book discussion forum.

Or how bout take the gag out of his mouth and scream HELP! while she continues to rant to him and stab him every few seconds.

The whole scene could have been handled in half the time by having Arya make mild flirtations towards Meryn, luring him in closer, and then sticking the blade deep into his throat. But they loooooove dragging this stuff out as long as they can. It makes it seem like the show is headed by two sixteen year old boys who're really invested in grossing-out their friends. Remember Littlefinger's peepshow in the second season?

But what bothers me is why it always gets noted on complicated and detailed the novels are, and yet they stray away to give us more screentime with peripheral characters like Ros, Myranda and Grey Worm. Seriously, if they wanted to do a Grey Worm-Missandei thing, it could have easily been worked into another scene, with Dany making an observation that they seem close. But nope - let's give 'em a whole storyline!

Preston Jacob's Episode 10 Review

I mean, it's pretty funny how he still seems to cling to BS such as Daario = Euron, but his points about the shows inconsistencies and plot holes are pretty spot-on and hilarious.

I'm still waiting to see if GRRM responds on his blog about the finale. There is still a question waiting to be answered:

"Hey don't forget about the Son of Kong while you're at it! Also any thoughts about the finale?" (Link)

I'm also looking forward to Miodrag's review over here. Tomorrow, I hope. I need some closure on this clusterfuck of a season.

Has much has I don't care to much for Jacobs we are allies in this crap when it comes to Episode 10

I think I won't be tuning in next season. I really hope GRRM announces a publication date (or even publishes tWoW) to steel my resolve. I seriously even lack the energy to rant on everything that was bad in this finale. I had taken care to watch it with friends and I had taken more than a few brews to make me less critical, but shit this was just terrible.

That's actually how I feel, I don't have the energy to rant because this show doesn't 'reach' me emotionally. I am hopeful that TWOW will be out soon, or should I say, that GRRM is motivated and working toward completion of the next book, and info will come. I do worry I'm too nosy and won't be able to resist watching some of the show next year, but I expect to be confused as hell about what is and isnt' spoiler. Hell, I spent most of this preseason becoming more and more certain that the show would be fanfic and not spoilerific. I do hope that we have more than hope, though. I want a book or word of a book by the time next season's mess is on. I have to stop calling the show a hot mess, cause it's not a hot mess, it's gods awful boring mess, actually.

The whole scene could have been handled in half the time by having Arya make mild flirtations towards Meryn, luring him in closer, and then sticking the blade deep into his throat. But they loooooove dragging this stuff out as long as they can. It makes it seem like the show is headed by two sixteen year old boys who're really invested in grossing-out their friends. Remember Littlefinger's peepshow in the second season?

But what bothers me is why it always gets noted on complicated and detailed the novels are, and yet they stray away to give us more screentime with peripheral characters like Ros, Myranda and Grey Worm. Seriously, if they wanted to do a Grey Worm-Missandei thing, it could have easily been worked into another scene, with Dany making an observation that they seem close. But nope - let's give 'em a whole storyline!

Yeah, someone in a different thread tried to explain some ridiculous change by claiming the show needed to streamline to fit everything in. If that was true, why spend so much time on fabricated characters or relationships?

I'm fine with spending time with minor characters, especially those who aren't really explored in the books because of the POV structure. But they shouldn't take time of the main characters or should add to storylines or themes. (I know, themes have no place in the show). Scenes with Shireen for example were a good addition until it turned out she was there for emotional manipulation.

By the way I don't remember what Maggie the frog tells Cersei on the show, but in the books she tells her that all 3 of her kids will die after they have been crowned. Did they change Maggie's prophesy on the show? Myrcella died before she was crowned on the show.

How many children does Scarlett O'Hara Cersei Lannister have? Well, on the show, 4, so apparently Maggy didnt have her abacus handy the day Young Carol came a callin'

About Arya, I keep saying the thing kills me the most is that they made Mercy TWICE.

1. Last season when she killed the Tickler (I think?) with Needle after getting it back.

2. This season when they put aside the context and just played with the sexual part of the scene because they couldn't do it last year.

Is like, if this season they hadn't been able to make Cersei walk naked, then they put her to walk in light robes but next year, they just make her parade naked around the Red Keep for no other reason than "but she walks naked in the books and we couldn't include that last year!".

Assholes.

Yes, not decisions any commander would have made let alone one of the greatest on the continent! But, hey, creatively it made sense, because they wanted it to happen :P

Why worry about any of that when we have people (some people who've shown up in this very thread, no less!) create convoluted ways to explain away the inconsistencies and mistakes :P

Brienne's lifelong mission? LOL.

Hahaha, since she was a wee babe, she knew her destiny was killing Stannis and she spent every second of her life preparing for it :rolleyes:

LOL, I missed that... what the fuck??

By next season, they will have Loras mentioning Renly and the director will say "It's obvious that Loras never stopped loved Renly and respected his memory" :lmao:

Oh god, that's totally going to happen. They love the idea of "tell, don't show" :dunno:

So, what's the count up to now? Jon is looking for a father figure. Sam didn't have POV. Brienne's mission has been finding and killing Stannis. Tyrion grew up at King's Landing. Stannis is all about ambition. Needle is symbolic of Arya's thirst for revenge. Dany's smart 'cause she drops a tiny ring in the middle of a huge grassy plain.

What is wrong with them? :bang:

Wait, they really said Tyrion grew up in KL? I don't watch the ITE interviews so I miss out on all these fucking crazy gems.

Archived