Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 2 (Book Spoilers)

So, I've been thinking a lot about the Larry/Myrcella scene, and I think I finally pinned down why it bothers me so much. It's not that it's badly acted (though it is) or that it's badly written (though it is) it's that, because of the poisoning, the specifics of the scene don't matter at all. Myrcella could have had the exact opposite reaction to Jaime's revelation. She could have been shocked, said she hated him, said she never wanted to see him again. The end result is that she dies and Jaime is sad. She could have been confused, disgusted, in denial. None of it matters because the writers had already planned out her death. But they chose the reaction that would be the most nonsensical reaction for the character to have (really, she's thrilled about being a child of incest who is now pretty much in constant danger of scorn and death, just like her brother the king) because it provided a cheap sense of false hope right before they killed off her character for shock value. It's the definition of lowest common denominator television.

But it wasn't gratuitous because it wasn't a man losing everything.

Sorry, I'll stop.

No, that's exactly what it was. It was emotional manipulation peppered with some bad writing. And poor NCW had no clue how to act it because what the hell even IS Larry's characterization?

So, I've been thinking a lot about the Larry/Myrcella scene, and I think I finally pinned down why it bothers me so much. It's not that it's badly acted (though it is) or that it's badly written (though it is) it's that, because of the poisoning, the specifics of the scene don't matter at all. Myrcella could have had the exact opposite reaction to Jaime's revelation. She could have been shocked, said she hated him, said she never wanted to see him again. The end result is that she dies and Jaime is sad. She could have been confused, disgusted, in denial. None of it matters because the writers had already planned out her death. But they chose the reaction that would be the most nonsensical reaction for the character to have (really, she's thrilled about being a child of incest who is now pretty much in constant danger of scorn and death, just like her brother the king) because it provided a cheap sense of false hope right before they killed off her character for shock value. It's the definition of lowest common denominator television.

What I thought was that D&D thought after Jaime's chat with Ellaria about the Dornish thinking love is wonderful in every form and Targs doing it etc, rewritten season 1 Jaime thought "Hey, Myrcella has been hanging out here listening to this theory long enough for her to hit puberty. Maybe she'll be cool with it." :bang:

And poor NCW had no clue how to act it because what the hell even IS Larry's characterization?

I'm convinced show metal hand is actually lead and Larry is being poisoned by it. Yes, I have to make shit up so the show makes sense.

That scene was 100% for the audience. Whatever we, the audience think of Bob, Westeros knew Bob as a rock star, he was a war hero, very popular king. Jamie is the reviled kingslayer. It's illogical to be super happy to find out that not only are you not really a princess, your father is not the war hero popular king loved by the peeps, but the hated kingslayer, and oh yeah, also you're an abomination of incest and that means your mother is lying adulterous treasonous freak, also.

But, nobody cares. Bad pussy.

I'm convinced show metal hand is actually lead and Larry is being poisoned by it. Yes, I have to make shit up so the show makes sense.

This is House Rant and Rave. We'll have no honeypotting here.

YAY!!!!!!!

:cheers:

I'd like to get into the HoBaW a bit. I don't get that scene. Who is fake Jaqen? A life for a death, fine, but who is that bloke and why is he willingly drinking poison? Why are there two Jaqen faces, two Arya faces? The faces are supposed to be unique, they're actual faces, from actual people. Not something you buy from a wholesaler or at poundland.

Yeah, why spend all the time cleaning the bodies and showing us the 600 unique faces only to say "Oh, just kidding, this is some weird magic that reproduces whatever face we want." That was stupid.

Well, let's talk about this: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/game-of-thrones-finale-cliffhangers

Stannis is definitely dead (no shock there), but as for why we didn't see the death, Director David Nutter said "It would have been gratuitous. You really got a sense that Stannis had nothing else to live for. Brienne’s lifelong mission had come to an end. It’s a situation in which Stannis was ready to die and prepared to die."

:bang:

So they can show countless breasts, violence towards kids, the weakness of motherhood, but they have to give Stannis some dignity. Right.

I don't even have the will to rant anymore people.

Fucking hell. The finale had the largest first time audience of any episode of GOT. More than the premier. So, 'bad pussy' is totally validated. Shock and awe is totally validated.

All the horses are gone except the one Mel rode off on is validated. Nobody but us book nerds care about errors and inconsistencies and blatant stupidity of characters like Stannis, the great military commander planning to attack a moated castle in the day time.

Bad pussy. Controversy. Action. CGI dragons is what people want to watch.

I talk to so many show!watchers who don't think at all about any of this stuff. They just want to see cool things and dragons.

But it wasn't gratuitous because it wasn't a man losing everything.

Sorry, I'll stop.

No, that's exactly what it was. It was emotional manipulation peppered with some bad writing. And poor NCW had no clue how to act it because what the hell even IS Larry's characterization?

That's right, we can have a girl bleed out from a horrible poison while her father looks on helplessly, but seeing the 123141425th decapitation in the show would just be tasteless. Poor NCW, he's been so shafted all season. I think he's officially given up.

What I thought was that D&D thought after Jaime's chat with Ellaria about the Dornish thinking love is wonderful in every form and Targs doing it etc, rewritten season 1 Jaime thought "Hey, Myrcella has been hanging out here listening to this theory long enough for her to hit puberty. Maybe she'll be cool with it." :bang:

Truly. I guess Ellaria did him a favor, as he never would have been able to leave her and Tommen alone together after all of that pervy Dornish influence. I think that's why they made Trystane the sole heir. Otherwise they would HAVE to have a Martell child three-way in the Water Gardens. It's the only thing that makes sense, creatively speaking.

At this point I think it seriously needs to be asked: did they even like the books after the Red Wedding?

Ostensibly that was their ambition when making the show, to get to the deaths at the Twins. Did they feel inclined to put any effort into the show afterwards? I really do wonder if they even enjoy working on the show anymore. It might explain how a season like this could come about.

A better question is if they actually read the books after the Red Wedding.

That scene was 100% for the audience. Whatever we, the audience think of Bob, Westeros knew Bob as a rock star, he was a war hero, very popular king. Jamie is the reviled kingslayer. It's illogical to be super happy to find out that not only are you not really a princess, your father is not the war hero popular king loved by the peeps, but the hated kingslayer, and oh yeah, also you're an abomination of incest and that means your mother is lying adulterous treasonous freak, also.

Besides, the show Bob was a much better person than in the books and much smarter too.

Also Myrcella should have been horrified even if she doesn't care about incest per se, because this puts her and her brother in mortal danger for the rest of their lives due to challenges to their legitimacy.

BOARD ATE MY POST! *punches board*

I was saying that Cheb's T had a question about how Hellaria didn't mind about Myrcella probably kissing Trystane and killing him.

Hellaria doesn't mind because Trystane is already pretty much dead.

Unless, of course, they decided to play with the stupidity of Larry saying "he didn't do it, he loved her!". While this is true, there is no way he would say this and it was his obligation, as a KG, to take him prisoner. Maybe they even make this the reason Larry and Cersei fall apart: he wants to spare him while she wants him dead...

I don't even have the will to rant anymore people.

Fucking hell. The finale had the largest first time audience of any episode of GOT. More than the premier. So, 'bad pussy' is totally validated. Shock and awe is totally validated.

All the horses are gone except the one Mel rode off on is validated. Nobody but us book nerds care about errors and inconsistencies and blatant stupidity of characters like Stannis, the great military commander planning to attack a moated castle in the day time.

Bad pussy. Controversy. Action. CGI dragons is what people want to watch.

Whatever viewership the last episode got has much more to do with the previous episode - and especially ep 9 - and the fact that it's the finale. Right?

Hardhome was a good(ish for me)episode and generated a lot of hype; ep 9 was shite but the audience was going to come back if only to see Stannis get some comeuppance. Then the Benjen Bait...

That scene was 100% for the audience. Whatever we, the audience think of Bob, Westeros knew Bob as a rock star, he was a war hero, very popular king. Jamie is the reviled kingslayer. It's illogical to be super happy to find out that not only are you not really a princess, your father is not the war hero popular king loved by the peeps, but the hated kingslayer, and oh yeah, also you're an abomination of incest and that means your mother is lying adulterous treasonous freak...

...and you are now facing a very real danger of not only being condemned by society (except Dorne, where anything goes) but actually being killed. Yeah, super! Because Jaime has done so much for her and been so fatherly throughout her life. I mean, he commented on her tissue paper dress!

But, nobody cares. Bad pussy.

I immediately was crying out WTF! No way would someone respond this way and it made me feel like they cheapened the whole idea considerably. Jaime needed to be at the riverlands not in stupid Dorne with a bunch of characters that no one fucking cares about.

Well, let's talk about this: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/game-of-thrones-finale-cliffhangers

Stannis is definitely dead (no shock there), but as for why we didn't see the death, Director David Nutter said "It would have been gratuitous. You really got a sense that Stannis had nothing else to live for. Brienne’s lifelong mission had come to an end. It’s a situation in which Stannis was ready to die and prepared to die."

:bang:

LOLOL What, is Nutter the only goon behind the scenes who actually liked Stannis? I have to confess, I felt bad for Stannis at the end there, but that may be due to the fact that, in spite of this mess of a story line, Dillane's Stannisness shone through, or.....I just felt sad for all that could have been on screen and wasn't. I am NOT a SuperStanner by a long shot, just appreciated his position a bit. And, his turn of phrase in the books.

Besides, the show Bob was a much better person than in the books and much smarter too.

Also Myrcella should have been horrified even if she doesn't care about incest per se, because this puts her and her brother in mortal danger for the rest of their lives due to challenges to their legitimacy.

It also would end his betrothal with Trystane. He won't be marrying a bastard.

Archived