Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 2 (Book Spoilers)

Well, let's talk about this: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/game-of-thrones-finale-cliffhangers

Stannis is definitely dead (no shock there), but as for why we didn't see the death, Director David Nutter said "It would have been gratuitous. You really got a sense that Stannis had nothing else to live for. Brienne’s lifelong mission had come to an end. It’s a situation in which Stannis was ready to die and prepared to die."

:bang:

And here I though her couple of years long mission was to find and protect Sansa, silly me. :rolleyes:

Yeah, who needs details when they have so many plot points to check off the list?

Boob quota? Check!

Saintly protagonists? Check!

Cackling caricature villains? Check!

Favourites given disproportionate screen time? Check!

Women acting stupidly all the time? Check!

Bloody hell. Someone needs to make a book of these idiot comments they make. This one can join creatively it made sense and themes are for book reports.

Anyone think of a good title? An idiots' guide to unintentional humour? How Not to Respond to Interviews? A Game of Groans: The Fandoms Official Compilation of Eye-Rolling Comments? Destroying a Book Series in 80 quotes?

"The Wits and Wisdom of David and Dan." someone needs to make it.

He was ordering his men to dig trenches. I think he even says the siege starts tomorrow. He was digging in for a long siege rather than planning an instant attack.

which proves that the creators of the show don't know what the hell they are doing.

I actually stopped watching the series after a certain point in season 2 and came back to it this year. Got all caught up, etc. Enjoyed it but really didn't care for any of the major changes that they made. One big annoyance was the whole stealing Dany's dragons, I got really really annoyed with this one.The deal breaker was the whole Ygritte element and how they butchered that story line. Kind of wishing I never came back.

YEAH!!!

*cartwheels around*

He then proceeded to say, "showing a man losing it all would have shocked our audience. And we don't want them to feel their sensitivities are attacked".

Sometimes I think they give these interviews while high.

Also...just wanted to say one more time: fucking Olly man. I had to rewatch to confirm that was Jon's last word. Fucking Olly.

What's really hilarious is that the same guy directed the Red Wedding episode. I guess Catelyn had so much to live for after seeing her eldest son die before her eyes and losing her husband and most of her children in short succession. Stabbing the pregnant Talisa wasn't gratuitous apparently.

Boob quota? Check!

I am fearing an inclusion of Euron for just that reason.

At this point I think it seriously needs to be asked: did they even like the books after the Red Wedding?

Ostensibly that was their ambition when making the show, to get to the deaths at the Twins. Did they feel inclined to put any effort into the show afterwards? I really do wonder if they even enjoy working on the show anymore. It might explain how a season like this could come about.

What's really hilarious is that the same guy directed the Red Wedding episode. I guess Catelyn had so much to live for after seeing her eldest son die before her eyes and losing her husband and most of her children in short succession. Stabbing the pregnant Talisa wasn't gratuitous apparently.

Whats a Catelyn?

But that tied into their theme of "womb syndrome."

Which reminds me, we updated the book snob glossary (and that's an entry now)

I'm going to say I'm still upset about the laziness--as in making the particular events happen with no meaning or actual character build up.

I'll just look at the characters from a show point of view

Sam. Sam came into the season having killed a White Walker and a Thenn. He taunted Janos Slynt and put up Jon's name for LC. He defended Gilly, got his ass whooped and had sex. So he's been braver than usual but still utterly and completely loyal to Jon and one of the few that's had an up close and personal with what's waiting on the other side of the wall. That scene in the finale looked like a different character. Self serving, because he asked specifically to keep Gilly and Little Sam alive.

Him asking in the first place was off, because it made Jon look like an idiot for not wondering where they were going to get another Maester. Also, he didn't mention Aemon at all? Hardhome and the need for information should have been what sent Sam to Old Town. A mission, not an education with sex on the side. It made him seem cowardly again and made Jon know nothing again. Reset to early days without character growth.

Jaime--the whole season it was like he reset to Jaime from Season 1 and his end was just lame. Now, because he is season1 Jaime, all he'll be able to think about is Cersei being mad at him and letting her down again, instead of growing from Season 4.

Still Dorne. Dorne sucked. Every wasted, pointless second of it.

The Wall and the Watch--there was no reason for FTW. They didn't do anything to lead up to it other than a few glares from Olly and others. Alliser let the wildlings in with Jon, that was his call. Jon wasn't a traitor. The vow says the shield that guards the realms of men. Wildlings are men. if he'd gone to Winterfell or given men to Stannis or took a bride, then you could FTW. But he didn't do any of that. He was just trying to save everyone and get enough human fighters to counter that huge undead army. So FTW looks ridiculous.

Stannis looks ridiculous. Compared to what he accomplished on Blackwater, even losing, it looked ridiculous. On the show he is the true threat because of his commanding abilities. I admit after show Stannis was cool burning his daughter I wasn't rooting for him at all. But come on. That whole battle was stupid, and Ramsay didn't look like he even broke a sweat, smiling and stabbing anyone wiggling on the ground.

Also...the finale was the episode of the magical horses. Stannis-half your men left and took all your horses. Where's Mel? She took a horse. Stannis we won't be siege-ing, Ramsay and his men are coming at as on EVERY HORSE IN WESTEROS (How'd they fit all those horses in Winterfell stables?)

Dany, as soon as you walk away from your dragon you will be treated to the spiral dance of EVERY HORSE IN THE WORLD. And Mel will arrive on her speedy super magical horse that somehow got her to the Wall the same day she abandoned Stannis.

Brienne just killing Stannis as he bled out seemed very unlike her. It did. But then most of this season was unlike her.

Also wtf is Ghost? Seriously.

And while Cersei's walk was best and closest to the books and powerful, they spent an unnecessary amount of time on her body double's full frontal. Her face, her reaction to the crowd was what mattered. We get it, nudity, but that was so much it was beyond gratuitous.

I guess my point is, they hit the notes. Arya is training with FM and does something she shouldn't, FTW, Dany flies Drogon, Cersei walks. But each time they made choices that undermined the characters and made those notes sour instead of profound. Discordant and wrong.

Other people are shrugging and sort of saying meh, whatever, but I keep getting upset because this show could and should have been one of those that stand the test of time like the books. And it would be so easy because GRRM left 80% of the recipe for them to follow. And they are still burning the damn lemon cakes.

Okay...I feel better...for a minute.

LOL My thread popped up? And, I was just starting to give up, how is it I find it.......and it's already on page 3??

A Girl.......will not complain and just........catch up!!

To Arms Everyone, we must be prepared if Ramsey and his Magnificent Twenty show up!!

:fencing:

Boob quota? Check!

I was thinking only of actual events in the books that the show runners were illogically and inconsistently including in their show but I think you really have the right of it here.

So, I've been thinking a lot about the Larry/Myrcella scene, and I think I finally pinned down why it bothers me so much. It's not that it's badly acted (though it is) or that it's badly written (though it is) it's that, because of the poisoning, the specifics of the scene don't matter at all. Myrcella could have had the exact opposite reaction to Jaime's revelation. She could have been shocked, said she hated him, said she never wanted to see him again. The end result is that she dies and Jaime is sad. She could have been confused, disgusted, in denial. None of it matters because the writers had already planned out her death. But they chose the reaction that would be the most nonsensical reaction for the character to have (really, she's thrilled about being a child of incest who is now pretty much in constant danger of scorn and death, just like her brother the king) because it provided a cheap sense of false hope right before they killed off her character for shock value. It's the definition of lowest common denominator television.

At this point I think it seriously needs to be asked: did they even like the books after the Red Wedding?

Ostensibly that was their ambition when making the show, to get to the deaths at the Twins. Did they feel inclined to put any effort into the show afterwards? I really do wonder if they even enjoy working on the show anymore. It might explain how a season like this could come about.

problem with that scene is the show writers clearly have no idea why Martin set this up. Martin doesn't just kill characters left and right like some have claimed. That would be bad writing and make it unreadable. He does it to further the story and advance things. The writers of the show clearly didn't realize this.

Archived