Video Games: Deus X-Machinima (E3 Fallout)

Werthead

FF7, at least, is going to cost so much money to make that Square would be insane to limit it to PS4 and PC alone. They'll pretty much have to port it to XB1. That said, by then the PS4 might have outsold the XB1 50>1, so maybe it won't be necessary. But it seems unlikely.

Meanwhile, this guy has discovered that you can mod Skyrim, but you can also mod Skyrim too much.

Wow that dude is hilarious. need to watch more of his videos.

FF7, at least, is going to cost so much money to make that Square would be insane to limit it to PS4 and PC alone. They'll pretty much have to port it to XB1. That said, by then the PS4 might have outsold the XB1 50>1, so maybe it won't be necessary. But it seems unlikely.

Meanwhile, this guy has discovered that you can mod Skyrim, but you can also mod Skyrim too much.

"The horses of Skyrim are lazy pieces of shit" :lol:

I never played King's Quest, but it looks great and It's coming to PlayStation next week. Really excited. Anyone play this before?

Also, is Life is Strange like Telltale games?

I wouldn't reccomend King's quest because of very shady stuff about the developers The Odd Gentleman(like stealing money from development of other games they were hired to do. They are neither disproven nor proven because of NDA's)

Life is Strange is something like Telltale games, but it is far more interactive and expansive, not to mention the rewind power gives you a lot of options to put things into perspective and also choices and their consequences are very visible. I would definitely reccomend it - and the next episode is out in two days.

Somehow found myself drawn to playing Sunless Sea again (which is oddly appropriately, considering its lore). Gameplay itself really is pretty weak, but the writing and atmosphere are so good. As before, I don't know if I'll actually get to any of the win conditions, they all take such long grinds, but I'll see where things take me.

Lack of a primary ssd drive for your os really hurts this, imho.

Was trying to keep it as dirt cheap as possible while still maintaining decent performance on modern games. SSD is still a "luxury" item in my eyes when you're on a restrictive budget. Even a 250gb SSD would have been double the price of that hard drive at least, and that's just not enough storage on its own IMO.

Plus like I said, that build wasn't actually meant to be a recommended buy for anyone, I was just messing around.

Here's what I ended up with on the budget PC front. Pretty nice for just over console price I think (around $50 more than a new PS4). For 1080p the benchmarks on that card are pretty decent. You're not gonna be maxing out any recent games but it'll run them well enough on medium settings. To bring the price down I'd first chop the HDD down to 500gb (although the 500gb model of the drive I have in the build is the exact same price as the 1tb for some reason). Then maybe drop to 4GBs of RAM and a slightly cheaper CPU. Could probably get away with a 300W power supply too (Newegg's wattage calculator seems to think so anyway) but I always prefer to be safe rather than sorry in that regard. 

Really though if I were trying to build a budget rig I could recommend someone to buy I'd up the GPU to a GTX 750TI for ~$30 more, or a GTX 960 for ~$80 more if they could swing that. You get MGS5 free with 900 series cards right now so that almost completely offsets the extra cost if it's a game you wanted to play anyway. Though you might need a more powerful PSU for a card like that and possibly a bigger case, I don't know what the dimensions are. 

Of course you also have to add ~$120 for Windows to all of this, plus the cash for a dirt cheap mouse and keyboard and a decent gamepad.

And so ends my nobody actually asked for this or likely cares but I was bored budget PC report.

So for $50 more than PS4 you end up with 1/2 the RAM of PS4 and Xb one, and I imagine that's 4GB DDR3 RAM as opposed to 8GB GDDR5 RAM for PS4?

Okay, so I guess if you have a very definite max budget, a console may be a better option. But if you have the slightest leeway, PC's will give you a lot more bang for your buck; especially with all the not easily quantifiable benefits, like mods.

Again, only in a few limited markets. The cost of getting a PC that can run games as well as PS4 (mostly 1080p/30fps, but some at 60fps, with decent AA and other graphics features) and will reliably do so over the remainder of the generation in countries like mine is considerably more than the cost of a PS4/Xb one. It's probably not even that easy to get a PC with Wii U specs for the price of a PS4/Xb one here. 500GB PS4 here is $650. Best you can do with an off the shelf PC capable of gaming is (which includes Windows given you need it as the OS for all games you might want to play):

Intel Core i3 4170 3.7Ghz LGA1150 3MB

Memory              8GB(8Gb x1) DDR3-1600 High Performance

Harddrive            1TB Reliable/Performance Harddrive

Graphic Card      Nvidia Geforce GT 730 2Gb DDR3

And that sets you back $788.

The CPU in this PC is definitely superior, but I believe the PS4 GPU is roughly comparable and RAM is better (8GB GDDR5 vs 10 GB DDR3, pretty much a wash I think). So for more than the price of a new game, you get a machine that is roughly on par gaming-wise.

It makes a lot of sense to go for a mid-range gaming PC over a console if you are in the market for a PC anyway, because the cost difference between a non-gaming PC and a mid-range gaming PC is not $650 (for an uber-gaming PC the cost difference is far in excess of $650, well over $1000 in fact). But if you have a decent general purpose PC already, or an older no longer very capable gaming PC, then going for a console probably gives you better gaming bang for your buck than buying a new PC. Especially now that mods seem to be creeping in to the console world, albeit mods created by the PC community then ported to console.

But when it comes down to it, if you want to play Halo, Forza, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank or God of War, then there is no choice between console and PC, it has to be console. If you want to play Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Star Craft, Crusader Kings, LoL or DOTA, then the choice is equally obvious, you have to go PC. So in the end the hardware debate doesn't matter, its what you prioritise in terms of games that should be the deciding factor. If the only games that you really want are on PC and console, then it seems like going console is not a particularly rational decision, especially now that it is super easy to plug your PC into your TV and play from the couch. I personally prioritise all 3 of those PS titles in that list, so it's an obvious decision for me. Even though it is a bit painful to be missing out on Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 until such time as I can justify a PC upgrade based on more than just wanting to be able to play newer games, which is some way off yet.

So for $50 more than PS4 you end up with 1/2 the RAM of PS4 and Xb one, and I imagine that's 4GB DDR3 RAM as opposed to 8GB GDDR5 RAM for PS4?

No. The build I linked has 8GB of RAM in it, same as either console as far as I'm aware. But RAM is not the be all and end all. You're also getting dedicated graphics (with 2GB of VRAM on that particular card) instead of an APU, double the storage space and, theoretically based on benchmarks for that card, better performance than a PS4. Not massively better, but running games at 1080p and 60fps that the PS4 runs at 900p, 30fps. 

Still, if short term budget/value is the main concern a console is probably the best option. 

The CPU in this PC is definitely superior, but I believe the PS4 GPU is roughly comparable and RAM is better (8GB GDDR5 vs 10 GB DDR3, pretty much a wash I think). 

This DDR3 to GDDR5 RAM comparison is really dumb. You wouldn't want a computer with GDDR5 RAM because you want the RAM used by the overall system to be separate to your VRAM. Computers have graphics cards that use dedicated GDDR5 VRAM, the PS4 doesn't. The PS4's configuration allows for the CPU and GPU to sit on the same die and share the same memory controller which meant they had to make it GDDR5 which has plenty of drawbacks. There's a reason you can't go out and buy some GDDR5 RAM, it doesn't make sense for a computer to use GDDR5 outside of the VRAM. Proclaiming the superiority of a system that uses 8GB GDDR5 shared memory to a system that uses 8GB of DDR3 and 2 or more GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM is very silly. 

You gotta price in the cost of games for a console anyway.

PC gaming is ridiculously cheap these days if you aren't buying at release.

Even if you buy new you save ~20% compared to a new console release IIRC.

And the money you save you can invest in upgrades down the road (or use it to buy chocolate).

Archived