Video Games: Deus X-Machinima (E3 Fallout)

Werthead

However, apparently it's because of the risk of possible coding/moron confusion between Windows 9 and Windows 95/98. I take that with a grain of salt the size of the Death Star.

This was a post on reddit a few months ago, no idea if its true or a prank. 

Regardless of that, its worth pointing out that this isn't the 9th or 10th iteration of Windows anyway, so it doesn't really matter either way. This is the same company that decide to name the 3rd iteration of its gaming platform Xbox One, so who knows how they're actually coming up with this stuff. Steve Balmer throwing darts at a dartboard?

Started playing The Witcher 2. Huge step up over The Witcher 1 in story, writing, characters and combat. Interesting so far (just got to Flotsam for the first time).

I know there's a big decision to take between siding with the spymaster dude and the elven revolutionary geezer. Is there any consensus on which one gives you the more interesting/bigger story? It's unlikely I'll ever have the time to come back and play the other choice.

Tough choice.  Witcher 3 appears to recognize that the events of Roche's route (spymaster) more than Iorveth's in much the same way that Witcher 2 decided that everyone ended up with Triss post Witcher1.  If that continuity matters, Roche is the obvious answer.  Other than that, I don't think there's any real consensus.  I felt like Roche's path gave you the power to make some decisions but no knowledge about what had been going on, while Iorveth's gives you lots of information but no power.  Also, Roche's path is much more involved with the politics and squabbling between the countries and is pretty grim, while Iorveth's is a more upbeat and optimistic one.  I can't say which one I enjoyed more, really, which I know isn't much help.  

Right.  Because Sony didn't showcase the Last Guardian, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Street Fighter 5, No Man's Sky, and FF7 Remake (timed, but if you're going to count Tomb Raider then I'm going to count this).  And that whole Shenmue 3 announcement.  Nope.  Just Uncharted 4.

And Microsoft didn't roll out a bunch of multiplats like Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3, the Division, Rainbow 6 and Plants vs Zombies

Nope.  Not even close.  :rolleyes:

But hey, XBone is getting another shitty Fable game and a bunch of other forgettable things to go along with it's only 2 notable franchises, so that's something.  Good job guys.

^In Kalbear's defense, FF7 isn't coming out until 2020. but other than that, I agree.

IfIMO, the only notable exclusives (out now) are Bloodborne and Final Fantasy XIV (not counting PC version) for PS.  The rest are either not interesting (to me), not yet released, or re-released exclusives from last gen.  .

FF14 was out on PS3 first. (About a year before PS4)

Right.  Because Sony didn't showcase the Last GuardianHorizon: Zero DawnStreet Fighter 5No Man's Sky, and FF7 Remake (timed, but if you're going to countTomb Raider then I'm going to count this).  And that whole Shenmue 3 announcement.  Nope.  Just Uncharted 4.
To my knowledge, all of those are actually going to be coming out on XBox save perhaps Last Guardian. That was sort of the point. Yes, even Shenmue 3. 

FF7, at least, is going to cost so much money to make that Square would be insane to limit it to PS4 and PC alone. They'll pretty much have to port it to XB1. That said, by then the PS4 might have outsold the XB1 50>1, so maybe it won't be necessary. But it seems unlikely.

Meanwhile, this guy has discovered that you can mod Skyrim, but you can also mod Skyrim too much.

WHAT THE FUCK, BOB!?! Tell us how you really feel...

Thanks for that link, by the way. I've been missing Bob's reviews since he disappeared from the Escapist a few months ago, I don't agree with him all the time (he's a bit too much of a fanboy for me) but he knows what he's talking about.

Are all of his reviews this... bold? Now?

WHAT THE FUCK, BOB!?! Tell us how you really feel...

Thanks for that link, by the way. I've been missing Bob's reviews since he disappeared from the Escapist a few months ago, I don't agree with him all the time (he's a bit too much of a fanboy for me) but he knows what he's talking about.

Are all of his reviews this... bold? Now?

He has a serious Hateboner for Adam Sandler. Kind of hard to blame him given the quality of his production companys efforts over the last 5 years or so.

As a retro gamer I wanted so bad for the movie Pixels to be good. But it's an Adam Sandler Happy Madison movie, so I knew I was kind of hoping in vain.

Here's a review that totally shreds it.

Spoilers if anyone cares.

and I'm still gonna see it when it's out on DVD.

Isn't that the movie that's basically a live action version of that one Futurama episode?

He has a serious Hateboner for Adam Sandler. Kind of hard to blame him given the quality of his production companys efforts over the last 5 years or so.

Oh, I love it! I've been watching his shit for the last 30 minutes while I test my new drinks. Bob's my favorite. I came for Crowshaw, I stayed for Chipman.

Me too. But if they didn't, there'd be even less reason to buy a console. Damn near everything comes out on the PC, and even at the console price point you can get a PC more powerful than any console. Sure there are hiccups like the new Batman game, but these days even console versions can have pretty serious problems; you can't automatically assume that games will run smooth on the console like you almost always could last-gen.

That is 100% untrue where I live. An equally powerful PC for gaming would cost at least 50% more than a PS4, and that would be without a monitor. For the price of a PS4 the only PCs you can get are ones with the Intel HD graphics, which is about useless for gaming.

To my knowledge, all of those are actually going to be coming out on XBox save perhaps Last Guardian. That was sort of the point. Yes, even Shenmue 3. 

SF5 sure ain't coming to Xb one. That was announced loud and clear when it was first announced. PS4 will be the only console ever to have this numbered version of SF. This smelt a bit like a tit for tat for Tomb Raider, and I hope that little skirmish of taking multiplat franchises exclusive for one iteration is now over and done with. Making existing multiplat franchises exclusive is not what's going to keep gaming moving forward.

But there isn't even any need to list those games that are on the never never like TLG and FFVII. PS4 has plenty of games coming out this year to satisfy any exclusives pissing contest. I just don't care for such pissing contests because they are ultimately meaningless.

Isn't that the movie that's basically a live action version of that one Futurama episode?

Not even an entire episode but one segment of one of those "What If?" Futurama anthology episodes.

But I believe a good feature length movie can be made from that idea, but modern day Adam Sandler being involved kind of automatically makes it shit.

I did like the idea of the minis standing in for the Pac-Man ghosts though...

Oh well. :(

I just played a bit of Rayman Legends and then quit to the Uplay client. I saw an ad there informing me of a free trial for The Crew. I thought "that game wasn't well received, but I bet it's pretty, and I like a driving game... why not." So, I clicked the "play" button on it in Uplay, and nothing happens. I hit it several more times, there was no feedback, and nothing came up in my Uplay downloads. I gave up, and clicked back over to Steam. Lo and behold, clicking "play" in Uplay actually opened the download game dialogue box in Steam. I have to download the game there. Presumably once I launch it in Steam, it will still fire up Uplay.  :bang:  Who thought this was intuitive? 

Here's what I ended up with on the budget PC front. Pretty nice for just over console price I think (around $50 more than a new PS4). For 1080p the benchmarks on that card are pretty decent. You're not gonna be maxing out any recent games but it'll run them well enough on medium settings. To bring the price down I'd first chop the HDD down to 500gb (although the 500gb model of the drive I have in the build is the exact same price as the 1tb for some reason). Then maybe drop to 4GBs of RAM and a slightly cheaper CPU. Could probably get away with a 300W power supply too (Newegg's wattage calculator seems to think so anyway) but I always prefer to be safe rather than sorry in that regard. 

Really though if I were trying to build a budget rig I could recommend someone to buy I'd up the GPU to a GTX 750TI for ~$30 more, or a GTX 960 for ~$80 more if they could swing that. You get MGS5 free with 900 series cards right now so that almost completely offsets the extra cost if it's a game you wanted to play anyway. Though you might need a more powerful PSU for a card like that and possibly a bigger case, I don't know what the dimensions are. 

Of course you also have to add ~$120 for Windows to all of this, plus the cash for a dirt cheap mouse and keyboard and a decent gamepad.

And so ends my nobody actually asked for this or likely cares but I was bored budget PC report.

Lack of a primary ssd drive for your os really hurts this, imho.

Archived