US Politics: Shotgun Wedding edition

Are you implying that I'm not am adult? I agree with Sanders on a lot of issues, more closely than I do with Hillary, and I don't have any personal stigma attached to the word. We're talking about the general voting population, though, not us.

Which is why I was talking about the general voting population, not you.

Which is why I was talking about the general voting population, not you.

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me who you were talking about. I'd like it if Sanders could parse out the term in an easy to grasp way for the voting base too, but I'm still afraid it may carry too much baggage for one election to effectively address the issue.

Obama was never trying to be anything but a Democrat. He campaigned on that. And ultimately, the President can only do so much if Congress doesn't want to cooperate. (see, for instance, Gitmo)

As for Sanders, he has no chance because he doesn't have the support or backing of enough people. He still polls way below Clinton.

I agree on certain things Obama's hands were tied, but he still got a lot done in terms of what he wanted which is great; I'm sure he wanted single payer healthcare like Sanders does. Where we see his hands tied the most is probably in the economy, but where I was most upset by him was how he continued the war overseas to such a large degree. For all the calling of shutting down Gitmo and ending the wars overseas, Obama seems to have done a 180 on where he stands. He is a warmonger. As much as the last guy.

Trump backlash continues. A Hispanic brewery that had been supplying his Trump Tower bar with their housebrew has renamed the beer Chinga Tu Pelo or "Fuck your hair" for those who don't speak Spanish.

http://national.suntimes.com/national-world-news/7/72/1388892/latino-brewery-renames-beer-trump-calls-chinga-tu-pelo

Right. I'm sure if it were Rush, or some talking head from Fox, you guys would be bending over backward to deflect like you are with Takei.

I'm sure there would be no gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands here.

Makes total sense. Heh.

It's incredible how common casual racism is among progressives and how regularly it's given a free pass.

Trump backlash continues. A Hispanic brewery that had been supplying his Trump Tower bar with their housebrew has renamed the beer Chinga Tu Pelo or "Fuck your hair" for those who don't speak Spanish.

http://national.suntimes.com/national-world-news/7/72/1388892/latino-brewery-renames-beer-trump-calls-chinga-tu-pelo

Wow that'll teach him. So they'll stop selling their beer to Trump, which will cost them money? He'll be worried sick. What with the coin he'll make from suing NBC for breach of contract Trump is crying all the way to the bank. Progressive condemnation is a paper tiger, every single time a conserative has the balls to stick to their guns and tells them to get fucked.....nothing happens.

Wow that'll teach him. So they'll stop selling their beer to Trump, which will cost them money? He'll be worried sick. What with the coin he'll make from suing NBC for breach of contract Trump is crying all the way to the bank. Progressive condemnation is a paper tiger, every single time a conserative has the balls to stick to their guns and tells them to get fucked.....nothing happens.

You honestly think he's going to win any of those lawsuits after he said what he said? Good luck with that. It's like the guy doesn't even know who he's in business with. The Univision end of his little pageant was the biggest money maker for that show.

Progressive condemnation is a paper tiger, every single time a conserative has the balls to stick to their guns and tells them to get fucked.....nothing happens.

Which cases did you have in mind?

Oh yeah, I'm sure the publicity of this won't make up for those losses at all.

It's incredible how common casual racism is among progressives and how regularly it's given a free pass.

How can people even have continence when faced with responses like this?

Do you actually understand the meaning of the word progressive and all that it entails?

The Murdoch is strong with this one.

That really doesn't justify Takei using the word "blackface" to describe Thomas though. It's a nasty reaction that could have been articulated in better/less offensive terms to an admittedly gross sentiment.

no it doesn't justify the term, but it does provide needed context. Perhaps he should have thanked Thomas for tomsplaining how slavery wasn't that bad or perhaps for how internment camps weren't that bad.

no it doesn't justify the term, but it does provide needed context. Perhaps he should have thanked Thomas for tomsplaining how slavery wasn't that bad or perhaps for how internment camps weren't that bad.

Case in point.

I agree on certain things Obama's hands were tied, but he still got a lot done in terms of what he wanted which is great; I'm sure he wanted single payer healthcare like Sanders does. Where we see his hands tied the most is probably in the economy, but where I was most upset by him was how he continued the war overseas to such a large degree. For all the calling of shutting down Gitmo and ending the wars overseas, Obama seems to have done a 180 on where he stands. He is a warmonger. As much as the last guy.

But Obama didn't run on that.

He ran on basically exactly what he did. Draw down in Iraq, shift to Afghanistan. That's what he said he'd do.

And he said he'd close Gitmo. And he tried. He signed an order on his second day to shut it down. And then Congress passed a law saying he couldn't do that. So he's gotten rid of all the Gitmo detainees he can and the rest is basically up to the cowards in Congress.

Like, part of the problem here is that you (and your not alone in this) seem to have a not-entirely-accurate idea of what Obama campaigned on.

Hasn't Clarence Thomas been called both an Uncle Tom and someone wearing blackface many times over the years? As someone who has betrayed not only black people but others who aren't white? I'm pretty certain I've read those comments about him before.

Hasn't Clarence Thomas been called both an Uncle Tom and someone wearing blackface many times over the years? As someone who has betrayed not only black people but others who aren't white? I'm pretty certain I've read those comments about him before.

Very likely. He's, frankly, kind of a shitty guy.

Still, doesn't make those kind of comments any less gross. I mean, you know you can point out what a douche he is with out any reference to race at all, right?

Very likely. He's, frankly, kind of a shitty guy.

Still, doesn't make those kind of comments any less gross. I mean, you know you can point out what a douche he is with out any reference to race at all, right?

You can but sometimes what is being called out is related to race.

I dunno, man. It just becomes fighting for the lower ground at that point.

It's ad hominem, weak ass, counter-productive and straight up shitty. It's racist and not fucking cool.

But it's none of those things. Calling someone an Uncle Tom is not racist.

And Thomas, say, voting to shit all over the VRA is pretty much the definition of that. And it's a totally relevant point, as any of the Justice's backgrounds is. They aren't robots.

You can but sometimes what is being called out is related to race.

Why, because he is that way because he is black? Honestly no. You can always make a connection to race but you never have to. It is the same thing with gender.

And considering that the oncle tom label was used on Booker T.Washington and Martin Luther King, well let's just say let's not put him up there.

Archived