Traveling to New York City for the first time.

Updating y'all: I received an unprecedented amount of assistance from people reaching out, both from this board and from my offline friends. I'll have I stick around here until Tuesday still, but now I can at least eat and get around the city. I'm not getting the things I lost back, but hopefully this is the start of my trip turning around for the best. I'll keep y'all updated.

I tried very hard to find the clip of Levon Helm (The Band) talking about New York in "The Last Waltz".
I could only find his quote to paste, but I think it suits this thread well.

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-new-york-it-was-an-adult-portion-it-was-an-adult-dose-so-it-took-a-couple-of-trips-to-levon-helm-85-1-0114.jpg

Here's Levon (Drummer) onstage with The Band.
The Weight-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSzL5-SPHM
Also a fitting song for this thread imo.

Thanks for the concern, y'all. I still haven't found lodging on this, the fourth day of an 8 day trip. To catch sleep last night, I resorted to repeatedly getting on the Staten Island Ferry both ways and sleeping for the 25 minute rides. Then, I ended up getting on a subway and staying on for the length of the trip, both ways, so that I could use the time to get a little sleep. I went into the public bathroom of a Holiday Inn a little while ago to freshen up.

Thanks for the concern, y'all. I still haven't found lodging on this, the fourth day of an 8 day trip. To catch sleep last night, I resorted to repeatedly getting on the Staten Island Ferry both ways and sleeping for the 25 minute rides. Then, I ended up getting on a subway and staying on for the length of the trip, both ways, so that I could use the time to get a little sleep. I went into the public bathroom of a Holiday Inn a little while ago to freshen up.

I hesitate to suggest this, because I'm worried it could come off as insulting, but have you thought about maybe going into a soup kitchen or something and just asking whether they know of somewhere you could sleep for a night or two? I know it might step on your pride a bit, but it sounds like anything's got to be better than what you're putting up with now.

Are there any hotels you can afford? I could probably wire you a tenner - not sure what that converts to or whether it'd be worth much, but maybe we could band together and send some money? Sorry I can't offer more - I'm working out a month in hand at the moment, so payday hasn't come yet.

well, the situation is that he had his ID in his bag, which was taken when he set it down.   Another poster got him a place in a hostel for a couple of nights, but the hostels aren't letting him check in without an ID, so that's really the big issue at present rather than funds (and they won't let me or the other poster give one of our IDs in his stead).    

I think the goal today is to try to figure out how to get a replacement ID ASAP.  Does anyone have experience with losing your ID while traveling and getting an immediate replacement?   

well, the situation is that he had his ID in his bag, which was taken when he set it down.   Another poster got him a place in a hostel for a couple of nights, but the hostels aren't letting him check in without an ID, so that's really the big issue at present rather than funds (and they won't let me or the other poster give one of our IDs in his stead).    

I think the goal today is to try to figure out how to get a replacement ID ASAP.  Does anyone have experience with losing your ID while traveling and getting an immediate replacement?

Met a guy who lost his passport in Italy; consulate came through with immediate replacement, but dunno domestic. Hadn't read this thread in a while; holy shit, Lita.

Did you post a NY board appeal on CS? People usually come through in an emergency when someone else bails like that. Or try to find a CS get-together, and just go and plead hardship.

I know access is the issue...but strangers will often help. Girl in seville spent an hour with me, using her smartphone, when I lost my iPad with everything in it earlier on this trip...just try asking a lot of people. All I got, at th moment.

When I lost my passport I was in a foreign country so headed straight to the British embassy. They sorted me out with an emergency passport, but it cost about £80 (that I could later reclaim on my travel insurance, but it doesn't sound like LitA is in a position to make that outlay in the first place). No idea what the situation domestically would be as I don't think hostels in the UK require ID.

May not be much help, but best of luck LitA. Hope it works out better than it has been so far.

Drivers Licenses and ID cards in the US are state-issued, so LITA would have to get his replacement ID from his home state meaning an office in New York couldn't issue a replacement. I know that my state will issue a replacement license online but I think they only ship the physical card to the recipient's home address on file.

My friend left her drivers license in Sea-Tac and didn't discover this until she was in NYC. She called her local DMV and they faxed over a temporary replacement -- it's just an ID so she could get home. Wasn't even a big deal. 

As such, I'd suggest calling your state DMV LITA. There has to be protocol for this, it just isn't posted online. 

Also, LITA -- I think Relic has found you a possible housing situation. Check upthread for his email addy.

Archived