What theory would cause you to Stop Reading ASOIAF if True.

Brian Rioghbhardan

^^^ Agreed

Also, if it turned out that both  Euron == Dario and HR == HS were true I'd be done. It's just silly at that point. No one in a position of influence is who they say they are. Its already dangerously close to that already. I mean we've already had Arstan, Griff, Varys, Faceless men, Able, and Reek (as played by Ramsay prior to the sack of Winterfel) running around under false identities. But if it turned out that the highest position of authority with in the most influential religion in Westeros was taken by an impostor while another man was traveling back and forth between two continents and acting as a battle commander in two wars/invasions it would just stretch the imagination to beyond belief.

But if one or the other is true I might be able to stomach it.

None. I'm way too invested in the series and whatever happens I will keep reading until the end. That being said, there are a number of theories that would severely disappoint me and that would make me somewhat resent the series afterwards if proven true.

Not a single one. I have theories I dislike, and I also have theories I just find ridiculous, but I'm not going to stop reading in case any of them end up being true. That's why I picked that quote for my signature. If I end up disappointed with the series then I'll at least know what I'm talking about when I finish it.

Jon actually being dead for good is probably the only thing that could make me quit. I'm not opposed to him dying, but throwing away all that character build up at this stage for 'shock value' would be bad storytelling.

This. I'd basically feel like GRRM wasted my tie with Jon for the last five books.

Also:

Stannis winning the Game of Thrones (which will never happen anyways)

Blood Raven warging into everyone and everything all the time (which would just be silly)

Daario really being Benjen/Euron/Victarion/Ned/the Polka Dotted Grace/Lysa Tully or any other number of characters in disguise.

Dany abandoning her quest for the IT and never setting foot on Westeros (you don't tease for 5 books and then don't deliver!)

SanSan *shudder*

Varys really being a woman (which he isn't)

Personally I think it would make tywin's sisters statement even more ironic. The one lannister sibling who isn't Tywins actual blood turns out to be most like him. That's pretty ironic. But personally I don't care either way on that field.

That's only ironic for Tywin's sister. The true irony is that Tywin treated the son most like him like absolute dogshit. If Jaime and Cersei turn out to be Aerys spawn, and Tyrion turns out to be Tywin's only true son, then that's irony in its highest form.

There are a lot of them, but as far as mainstream theories are concerned, Tyrion being Aerys son.

Don't worry, he's not.  The potential hints are only there because it's going to be incredibly fun watching everyone in the story assuming Tyrion has Targ blood when he rides a dragon.  It will change how people treat him, and will seriously mess with what he thinks of himself.  All that can be done without Tyrion being anything other than 100% Lannister.

I have tried (and failed) to finish the first twilightwhatever book because of my stubborn refusal to give up on books. I have been known to read the ending before I was even halfway through a book in many occasions when the book was really bad, sometimes even if it was just mediocre.
I WILL read the last books whatever is in them.

If the prologue of TWOW has Dolorous Edd presiding over the election of the next Lord Commander in a red guepiere I'll read it.

If during a fight the Others break into song: "let us freeze, let us freeze, you'll like the cold after all", I'll read it.

It's my nature. I need to, I MUST know.

I could spend this incredibly long time between books wondering what was Rhaegar's pet name for Lyanna or if Mirri would have liked Stannis, or I can spend it reading theories, some crazy, some impossible, some just humorous. I do prefer the second option, at least there is an attempt at reconciling with the books in them.
They are theories, I am not bothered even by MermVarys, I don't take them personally, they are entertainment and a way to keep my mind open to all possibilities. Well almost all...

If any crackpot turned to be true, well that could even make me less bitter on having to wait so long, at least I wouldn't have wasted ALL my time...

At this point, nothing. I NEEED Winter, despite the fact that I felt the last two books sucked.

Actually, not true, as I'd stop reading if Martin increased the number of volumes to, say, an indefinite "more than seven." At that point, I'd read Winter, see if he's as lost as he seemed with Feast and Dance, then rely on the show to end the misery.

Archived