Characters you like (but know you shouldn't)

TimJames

I don't like any character that I know I should not.

Besides, it is possible to like a character for some reason without approving the bad sides of that character.

I don't get this statement. For example it's hard not to like Joffrey as a character or Tywin. There's many types of likes, just like they're many types of birds, a sand piper and a sea eagle both have wings, but they're not the same.

I like Victarion for his good qualities and being fun to read without approving his evil acts.

:agree:

Also, Victarion is not much aware the things he does are "wrong" and he does condemn those who are reproachable. People like Clegane or Tywin are very aware they do wrong and don't care.

The Shavepate. He's like a fucking wellspring of brutality and cruelty that Dany has on tap.

Also, I think all the main antagonists are really charismatic, in the sense that I like reading about them and they benefit every chapter in which they appear, in a way that someone like Rattleshirt/Ramsay/Joffrey doesn't. Probably not unintentional though.

eta: by which I mean Tywin, Roose, Euron, etc.

I like Victarion for his good qualities and being fun to read without approving his evil acts.

I'm a fan of Victarion as well and as JonCon has said above I don't think he sees what he is doing as 'wrong' and technically according to his culture he isn't. And his conscience haunts him when thinking about acts he considers wrong.

While I don't agree with his beliefs he does have a moral code and does follow it

Pretty much all of the characters (except for a rare few) have done morally questionable things at some point in the story, so this topic makes it hard to narrow it down. The fact that good people sometimes do bad things is one of my favorites aspects of the story. 

For example:

- Tyrion: One of my favorite characters, but he does some pretty bad things - murdered his father/lover, allowed/participated in the gang rape of his first wife Tysha, instructs Bronn to put Symon Silvertongue in a bowl of brown for people in Flea Bottom to eat, obsesses about killing his sister.

- Arya - I love her bravery and her loyalty (she wouldn't abandon Gendry when she could have run) and her will to survive even after all of the horror she has suffered. But she's growing into someone who can kill without mercy or regret. She even seems pleased about killing Dareon. 

Eh, Victorian is just a brutal idiot with the completely undeveloped sense of justice of a 3 year old, but, unlike most toddlers, zero empathy. He pretty much worries if something will get him in trouble with a god or not and what he is supposed to do. Of course other people are always such meanies in his mind. I don't think pure stupidity is much of a redeeming quality, or Cersei should get that excuse as well.

I love Varys and totally think I should. Everyone should love Arya.

I'm also rooting for Sandor and Tyrion and think I should.

Only character I feel I should like less is Jamie. That ass pushed Bran and I hated him so much, but it's so hard not to be kinda over it. I guess he has an redemptive arc and maybe should be forgiven, but I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about it.

Pretty much all of the characters (except for a rare few) have done morally questionable things at some point in the story, so this topic makes it hard to narrow it down. The fact that good people sometimes do bad things is one of my favorites aspects of the story. 

For example:

- Tyrion: One of my favorite characters, but he does some pretty bad things - murdered his father/lover, allowed/participated in the gang rape of his first wife Tysha, instructs Bronn to put Symon Silvertongue in a bowl of brown for people in Flea Bottom to eat, obsesses about killing his sister.

- Arya - I love her bravery and her loyalty (she wouldn't abandon Gendry when she could have run) and her will to survive even after all of the horror she has suffered. But she's growing into someone who can kill without mercy or regret. She even seems pleased about killing Dareon. 

You're right. I love Tyrion's he's my fave, but i'm not blind on what he is. 

Well. Arya is a killing psychopath now. you're right there too.

I can understand appreciating a well written villain (a story cannot be good without well written villains) but "liking" a well written villain should not be the right thing to do. We are not supposed to "like" or "root for" a villain as much as well written it might be.

should? why? just bec. you love her doesn't mean everyone should.

She is a poor victimized kid and a badass hero plus hilarious and she deserves eternal love by everyone.

But of course people can be wrong and have shitty taste, I don't mean to fine them or anything.

She is a poor victimized kid and a badass hero plus hilarious and she deserves eternal love by everyone.

But of course people can be wrong and have shitty taste, I don't mean to fine them or anything.

she is victimized kid and a badass Cold Blooded Assassin* or its going to be at least, dont try to whitewash Arya please, its obvious she is headed to a dark path, as much as i love her..

I can understand appreciating a well written villain (a story cannot be good without well written villains) but "liking" a well written villain should not be the right thing to do. We are not supposed to "like" or "root for" a villain as much as well written it might be.

That's weird considering the author himself called his favorite character a villain.

Liking a character dose not mean you would support him or like him in real life, so there is nothing to feel bad about. There is nothing as good as well written villain. But t add my part to the thread:

Roos Bolton
Euron Greyjoy
Victarion Greyjoy

I like Roose Bolton, not as a human being but as a book character, he is one of the most fascinating characters.

Archived