Bakker XLI Redux: Measure is Still Unceasing (And a date is revealed for The Great Ordeal)

Rhom

On 1/27/2016 at 6:07 PM, sologdin said:

who are the dunyain, then?

If we look at the Dunyain as an isolated faction that produced the best shot at stopping the nefarious Consult from their goal (delaying publishment of the next installment) I think this thread is as decent a choice as anything else, fuliginous seed comedy notwithstanding.  Of course Ishual is also an abandoned ruin, seemingly recently destroyed, but YMMV

24 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

**I** do.  Can anyone help a sister out and let her know when the release date is?  

I've always thought that the Dunyain way is perfect for lazy people.

hlade's law = dunyain.  who here is therefore the laziest? 

41 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

**I** do.  Can anyone help a sister out and let her know when the release date is?  

I've always thought that the Dunyain way is perfect for lazy people.

Lol. No easy answer, sister.

Since the campaign to "engage" with Overlook, we've seen an Amazon page with July 5th as release date for TGO hardcover. mrganondorf of SA (bakkerfans here, and everywhere) has posted e-mail confirmation that Overlook are committed to this date. However, Bakker later revealed that as far as he knows that date is a tentative placeholder and that lack of news has resulted from renegotiating between Overlook and Orbit concerning The Aspect-Emperor series growing from three books to four (TJE, WLW, TGO, TUC), with TUC-proper also containing the new Expanded Glossary - which as of then (Nov '15) was settled.

However, most recently with the posting of a new map, entitled "The Tutelary Lands, at the time of the Great Ordeal," Bakker has commented that the July 5th date was decided by his former editor who abruptly left Overlook - who precipitated and has not been involved with this now, almost year and a bit, jam-up regarding TGO/TUC publications, since the initial manuscript submission in Jan '15. More horrifying still, in another comment Bakker mentioned that he himself has petitioned Overlook for weeks as per a set date with no response. And that he still has not been assigned an editor - which he previously mentioned is the point at which he will be willing to give Pat's Fantasy Hotlist an excerpt (Trisk's "merest fraction") and act on plans to give Grimdark Magazine an excerpt.

So... yeah.

16 minutes ago, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

I can never find Bakker's books anywhere.

Ah, another from The Great White North.

Unfortunately, since WLW was the final launch that Penguin Canada was partaking in with Bakker, you'll notice that Bakker's not been stocked at any Chapters, Coles, or Indigo (unless by the valiant efforts by interested persons at specific locations). Since there hasn't been a new release since WLW, Overlook hasn't distributed to Canada yet, in lieu of Penguin.

Just read the scene in TTT where Cnaüir chases after "Serwe" the Skin-Spy, and it is one of the maddest scenes I've read in literature. Climbing up mounds of dead, the opening of the face, talking to the Synethse. And, it's like he accepts it all as normal. Its surreal to say the least, and demostrates his spiral into madness perfectly. Love it every time.

Lol - solo.

So porting a question from SA. While I expect less sincere responses here, I thought I'd still sound the Westerosi hive-meld. Previously our disseminating Bakker thread yielded mrganondorf's stellar idea of literary terrorism, which, along with a fraction of Somnambulist's skills, yielded the "Who are the Dunyain?" bookmarks that many of us SAers hide in bookstores as well as other, more imaginative, places.

Gedankenexperiment:

You have a book to market. It's the sixth in an on-going SFF series, recalling the recent sprawling ambitions of Malazan Book of the Dead and A Song of Ice and Fire. Money is no obstacle. Every advantage in modern media reach is at your disposal. The author has agreed to attend events, speak, read, and sign books.

What do you do?

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

probably a nice line of inchoroi-themed vibrators and traumatic insemination orifices, yaknow, to sell at interstate cracker barrels.

I do love Cracker Barrel. 

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

I do love Cracker Barrel. 

On 2/4/2016 at 1:36 PM, Madness said:

Lol - solo.

So porting a question from SA. While I expect less sincere responses here, I thought I'd still sound the Westerosi hive-meld. Previously our disseminating Bakker thread yielded mrganondorf's stellar idea of literary terrorism, which, along with a fraction of Somnambulist's skills, yielded the "Who are the Dunyain?" bookmarks that many of us SAers hide in bookstores as well as other, more imaginative, places.

Pump some money into generating a Glen-Gary Glen-Ross list of leads, comprised of people who, like Rhom, will buy anything from Cracker Barrell, and target them specifically with solo's souvenir campaign.  On top of that, I'd suggest a rigorous book tour, some kind of contest (I'm thinking a competition of short-form dramatic fan fiction) to get a number of ARCs out to people who post here, at SA, and TPB,  or best of all, just invest in some R&D to come up with a real world version of Seswatha's heart or the Inverse Fire, only difference is that the end design would goad people into buying the next book.  Maybe mail out copies of the first book with a grab-bag of drugs?

edit:  I'm an idiot and didn't read Madness's post very well.  I guess I was thinking about how I'd market the next Bakker installment.  But I'd be pretty stoked recommending this campaign to anyone, for anything, really. 

Archived