The next big HBO show

NickGOT456

Everything I've heard is that he's been heavily involved with the entire process. There was a rumor out there for a time that he'd be writing a couple more books for the show to draw from, but I haven't heard anything about that in a while.

Interesting. In that case I will remain cautiously optimistic. 

Westworld.

Sometimes Jack can sum things up perfectly in his one sentence posts.

To be honest, I think the question is outdated. Fine to ask this in 2000 but there are now so many other platforms providing "HBO content" it's a pointless question unless you are an employee of HBO. FX, Netflix, Amazon, Showtime and Starz (+ others) are capable of producing exactly the same type of show (minus some nipples and the F/C bomb). If anything I trust several of the other providers over HBO these days. FX have enough hits to cover their misses and Starz are excellent when they are on form.

So, while i no longer get excited about a HBO show in the way I did 7 years ago, I think I'm as excited about a show announcement by any of the other cable/internet providers.

I think it's a valid question. GoT shows that HBO can bring financial firepower to a project that none of the other cable channels still can, although Netflix and Amazon probably could do so if they wished (Sense8 certainly got an absolute fortune, probably in the GoT ballpark).

Wheel of Time is going to be a big project if the legal hurdles get cleared out of the way and I think that's something one of the companies will go all-out on. Amazon, I think, would be the logical choice for that.

"Why should we make this?"

"Look how many WoT books have been sold on your website since 1998."

"Fair enough."

Well yeah, I suppose The Next Big Premium Channel/Streaming Service Series would probably be more accurate at this point. 

Which is a good thing even if it means HBO no longer has the automatic "best at every genre" claim.

Wheel of Time is going to be a big project if the legal hurdles get cleared out of the way and I think that's something one of the companies will go all-out on. Amazon, I think, would be the logical choice for that.

I guess it will be a long time before we ever see that show. Didn't that awful pilot mean the company maintains the rights?

I think you made a good point earlier on how HBO seem to be letting a lot of genre projects pass them by - or weirder they pick them up semi-develop them then leave it for someone else to pick up (eg Preacher and American Gods) although if those shows bomb I guess they were wise but they'll be frustrated if not.

It could be that HBO just aren't interested in those type of shows. They are usually known for a wide range of dramas and maybe don't want too many SFF shows around. It could be that they are putting all their eggs in one basket with the Foundation adaptation. Maybe it's better they go all out on one big show and it would be their first "in space" SF.

I guess it will be a long time before we ever see that show. Didn't that awful pilot mean the company maintains the rights?

No. They got sued over it, they counter-sued and appear to have either lost the counter-suit or withdrawn it in return for some kind of pay-off or acknowledgement production credit deal. I suspect we'll have announcement in the near future that both parties have come to some agreement and will move forwards etc. Whether that's weeks or months or another year or so away is unclear, but it shouldn't be years and years away.

It could be that HBO just aren't interested in those type of shows. They are usually known for a wide range of dramas and maybe don't want too many SFF shows around. It could be that they are putting all their eggs in one basket with the Foundation adaptation. Maybe it's better they go all out on one big show and it would be their first "in space" SF.

It really surprised me that HBO optioned Foundation. It's very slow and dull with no really continuing characters, no sex (until the fourth book) and very little action or drama. The books have dated atrociously. I can only assume they are going to change everything aboout them.

It really surprised me that HBO optioned Foundation. It's very slow and dull with no really continuing characters, no sex (until the fourth book) and very little action or drama. The books have dated atrociously. I can only assume they are going to change everything aboout them.

Not that that will prevent them from adding some.

Sometimes Jack can sum things up perfectly in his one sentence posts.

To be honest, I think the question is outdated. Fine to ask this in 2000 but there are now so many other platforms providing "HBO content" it's a pointless question unless you are an employee of HBO. FX, Netflix, Amazon, Showtime and Starz (+ others) are capable of producing exactly the same type of show (minus some nipples and the F/C bomb). If anything I trust several of the other providers over HBO these days. FX have enough hits to cover their misses and Starz are excellent when they are on form.

So, while i no longer get excited about a HBO show in the way I did 7 years ago, I think I'm as excited about a show announcement by any of the other cable/internet providers.

I don't know about that, there is still a special halo surrounding HBO products but that is based mostly on what they have done.

Game of Thrones is the only show left bearing that torch, and for the rest it is... not great. So I too would love to see a great new show or three from them, and not just Westworld, which we're all hoping will be great.

I'd love it if Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy ( mentioned earlier by Wert) was actually picked in in a manner that suggests there is some speed and urgency to it. American Gods on Starz has already been pushed back to January 2017. That will be a great show once it comes around though. Netflix is really the other big hope for top shows as far as I'm concerned, but I'm on and off on their stuff the same way as with HBO, it's not all gold that glitters with them either. House of Cards to me is their best show, really want that 4th season. 

Not that that will prevent them from adding some.

:ph34r: 

I am optimistic on Westwood in the sc-fic/fantasy category.

Vinyl is definitely being hype as HBO next big show at this time.  It is going to be set during Rock in the 70s and Scorsese's filming the Premiere.   It will either an indulgent mess or a spectacular presentation of an indulgent time.

Already optioned and in development as a series of feature films.

It has been optioned several times over the years by a handful of different production companies. It's been scripted as an animated series, and a live-action serial. Not sure who has it now, but I'm not sure a feature length film is the way to go. I'd much rather see it developed as a series, much the same way as GoT. 

And it's nowhere near as good as The Wire, Deadwood, Band of Brothers...

To me it is and it isn't.

I wouldn't quite put it up there with The Wire or Band of Brothers, though that's a different beast, as are their other superb miniseries John Adams and The Pacific.

The Sopranos to me is another HBO show I'd rate higher but I'd take Game of Thrones at #3 on the HBO list.

In Treatment and Carnivale round out the top 5.

I think Thrones is incredibly watchable even if you're not a book fan, it's a great story and there is so much to like.

IMO they are doing a good job adapting the books for the most part, I have nowhere near the quibbles with it that I had when Jackson did his LoTR and Hobbit trilogies. But even if you don't look at Thrones as adaptation, it works very well in it's own right as a great show. But as with the BBC's superb The Last Kingdom, the seasons should be a bit longer.

Don't get me wrong, I like GoT a lot and don't think it's any worse than the books, just different - but those three (and Sopranos by rep, but I can't judge that because I haven't seen it yet) are works on a whole other level. There's a legit argument to be had that each show is in with a shout of being the best screen example of its genre (film or tv) in existence, and I don't think you can say the same for GoT even though there's probably a lot less competition.

Even if GOT isn't to everyone's liking I'm sure all the other networks are incredibly jealous of it (with the possible exception of AMC with Walking Dead). Despite having a lot of great shows in their back catalogue there's only Sopranos and True Blood that have been as big a success for them in viewership. And True Blood was the trashiest thing they've done so I'm pleased GOT is striking a balance between viewing figures and quality.

No. They got sued over it, they counter-sued and appear to have either lost the counter-suit or withdrawn it in return for some kind of pay-off or acknowledgement production credit deal. I suspect we'll have announcement in the near future that both parties have come to some agreement and will move forwards etc. Whether that's weeks or months or another year or so away is unclear, but it shouldn't be years and years away.

Good to hear there's positive movement on the WOT front. I've never read the books but would probably give a show a chance with the hope they correct the pacing issues everyone tells me about with the books.

I imagine they must be changing the Foundation books a lot - especially if there's no sex. It's impossible to imagine a HBO show not having that factor.

Archived