The next big HBO show

NickGOT456

I think Thrones is incredibly watchable even if you're not a book fan, it's a great story and there is so much to like.

Not for me.  I quit in the middle of the season before this last one.  Not sorry. Entirely UNwatchable, in my book.

So much of a particular kind of show, either as adaptations or originals, inevitably turns the screen versions to drek because that category of show is now a bandwagon project rather than a labor of passion.  For instance, the difference between at least the first two seasons of Vikings and that that Executioner's Bastard.

So many bandwagons picking up so many sf/f series -- will also turn off the viewers as they get satiated and want something different.

The only evergreen is the mob. B)

I imagine they must be changing the Foundation books a lot - especially if there's no sex. It's impossible to imagine a HBO show not having that factor.

Well, even in the books, there are a lot of nakedness (mostly non-sexual related) so there are many opportunities for those pervs in HBO to have their field day...

So much of a particular kind of show, either as adaptations or originals, inevitably turns the screen versions to drek because that category of show is now a bandwagon project rather than a labor of passion.  For instance, the difference between at least the first two seasons of Vikings and that that Executioner's Bastard.

So many bandwagons picking up so many sf/f series -- will also turn off the viewers as they get satiated and want something different.

I understand this complaint. I experienced when "lost" was poopular and we got all of those terrible "lost-style" shows that made the whole "SFF mystery show" toxic for me (the ending of "lost" helped with that too and the mystery aspect of BSG too).

It's one thing HBO have been good at in terms of not churning out the same type of show. It could have made gangster shows constantly but chose not to - although it does like crime (but it's a broad canvas to play with). So while the most sensible thing may be to find a GOT replacement (lots of candidates) they may choose to do something completely different that can be as successful. Which is where "Westworld" and possibly "foundation" fit into their approach.

If they made two of each type of show they'd always have one of their shows that wasn't "best [insert genre] on tv"

It has been optioned several times over the years by a handful of different production companies. It's been scripted as an animated series, and a live-action serial. Not sure who has it now, but I'm not sure a feature length film is the way to go. I'd much rather see it developed as a series, much the same way as GoT. 

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is developing it with David Goyer and Gaiman himself.

They're a long way out from production, though.

In an alternate universe, Fables, if stupid Disney/ABC hadn't screwed them over with their OUAT crap

I think they should go the route of low key sci-fi, like Rupert Thompson's The Divided Kingdom, David Mitchell's The Bone Clocks and/or Slade House, something by Atwood, etc.

Or just go full Dune

What I wouldn't give for another well-done western.

An HBO-produced version of Blood Meridian, OMG

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/629945-the-witcher-movie-in-development-for-2017-release

They are developing a Witcher movie for 2017 and hope to do a series. I hope HBO or Starz does the series. It would fit both networks perfectly. Just hope that either network would beef up the budget since there would be a fair amount of CGI needed for the monsters.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/629945-the-witcher-movie-in-development-for-2017-release

They are developing a Witcher movie for 2017 and hope to do a series. I hope HBO or Starz does the series. It would fit both networks perfectly. Just hope that either network would beef up the budget since there would be a fair amount of CGI needed for the monsters.

Official press release

Per Lindelof's request the next season of The Leftovers will be the last, so HBO damn well better hope that either Vinyl or Westworld is the next big show for them, because their drama section is looking unbelievably bare right now. They've got a couple miniseries next year that I'm sure will be as strong as always, but I think all their other dramas in development are at least two or three years away right now; if they even make it that far.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see HBO pushing Benioff & Weiss to consider going to 9 seasons for Game of Thrones.

HBO's got a ton of great comedies, but they'll never be satisfied with just that.

Only if they can get John Malkovich to play Judge Holden :)

Yes, please! (And it's not like they couldn't get him, he's right up their alley)

Per Lindelof's request the next season of The Leftovers will be the last, so HBO damn well better hope that either Vinyl or Westworld is the next big show for them, because their drama section is looking unbelievably bare right now. They've got a couple miniseries next year that I'm sure will be as strong as always, but I think all their other dramas in development are at least two or three years away right now; if they even make it that far.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see HBO pushing Benioff & Weiss to consider going to 9 seasons for Game of Thrones.

HBO's got a ton of great comedies, but they'll never be satisfied with just that.

I think Vinyl seems incredibly by the numbers, at least judging by the trailers, but Westworld looks cool, weird stories about nude extras being literally furniture aside.

And hey, if they don't work, HBO can always go with my pilot they rejected earlier this year :P 

I'd like to see something based on the Napoleonic Wars. I think that's an area of history that hasn't been explored too much on screen. Another idea is the conflict between Wales and England that began shortly after the Conquest in 1066 and lasted through Edward I's conquest of Wales in 1283. 

I wonder if any of the cable networks have thought of turning Clan of the Cave Bear into a series.  Pretty sure all of the books were best sellers, and it's a genre that no one has touched yet.  Not sure there's enough drama/intrigue for HBO, but there's certainly no shortage of sex and gratuitous bewbs.  

Also I'd think the set and production costs would be relatively low, allowing them to really go to town on cgi mammoths and saber toothed tigers, etc.

I wonder if any of the cable networks have thought of turning Clan of the Cave Bear into a series.  Pretty sure all of the books were best sellers, and it's a genre that no one has touched yet.  Not sure there's enough drama/intrigue for HBO, but there's certainly no shortage of sex and gratuitous bewbs.  

Also I'd think the set and production costs would be relatively low, allowing them to really go to town on cgi mammoths and saber toothed tigers, etc.

would definitely suit HBO or STarz! for the nudity/sex quotient. There was a film of the first book years ago which maybe puts them off. I only managed the first 3 books as a teenager and felt book one was the best because of the whole clash of cultures aspect.

Archived