Star Wars Episode VII THE SPOILERS AWAKEN

Corvinus85

Look, yes he shares similarities with Plagueis and yes it could be true, but dont you guys think they're taking enough from the previous material?

Not really. The majority of people don't know much for Plagueis, and probably won't even remember his name.

Add to that, everything there would be new.

I would much prefer that than continuing rebooting the original trilogy, which they completely did with the movie. It should have been called Star Wars: A New Hope - Episode 2.

Not really. The majority of people don't know much for Plagueis, and probably won't even remember his name.
Add to that, everything there would be new.

I would much prefer that than continuing rebooting the original trilogy, which they completely did with the movie. It should have been called Star Wars: A New Hope - Episode 2.

It's not exactly a reboot when basically everything that happens relies upon A New Hope having taken place, and follows on from that movie.

I do like the cyclical nature of Snoke = Plagius

What I don't get is all the Phasma disappointment.  Did anyone ever expect her to have a bigger role than OT Boba Fett?!!?

I do like the cyclical nature of Snoke = Plagius

What I don't get is all the Phasma disappointment.  Did anyone ever expect her to have a bigger role than OT Boba Fett?!!?

At least Boba Fett accomplished something in tracking the rebels to Bespin in ESB. Then they made him the fall guy to showcase Luke's growing power in ROTJ. Also, he was the coolest looking character in the entire SW universe :D

Phasma did absolutely nothing

It's not exactly a reboot when basically everything that happens relies upon A New Hope having taken place, and follows on from that movie.

I know that technically, it isn't a reboot. But:

YwdtkoH.jpg

They should have been more original. Instead they went completely risk free and knowing how much people love the original trilogy, they said 'why to reinvent the wheel, instead of using what worked before'.

YwdtkoH.jpg

They should have been more original. Instead they went completely risk free and knowing how much people love the original trilogy, they said 'why to reinvent the wheel, instead of using what worked before'.

Not really sure what to say. If you want to view it that way, you're diminishing your enjoyment of the future of Star Wars for no good reason, but that's your choice. I'm not really inclined to argue about it though.

YwdtkoH.jpg

I haven't seen it yet, but this does seem to be a fair criticism. I guess you can forgive the filmmakers this given that it is the first episode. I just hope they breath a little bit of originality in going forward. 

I'm definitely one of those thinking that it could have been less beholden to ANH, but a synopsis that omits one of the main characters entirely really is fitting the facts to your argument.

Yeah, I won't deny that it had one or two too many similarities than I would have ideally liked, but the central plot is different, Hero's Journey aside.

Yeah, that is really looking at it with an extraordinarily narrow view. Kinda like saying every Hayao Miyazaki film is the same cause it uses the same elements. You can have the same ingredients, doesn't mean you will get the same tasty meal.

Miyazaki's movies have the same themes, but not the same story.

This movie had the exact same story as A New Hope. Just change the names of the characters (as in that picture) and you can see that the similarities are way more than using the same ingredients.

I enjoyed the movie. It was well executed and had good acting. It didn't have many pathetic dialogues, it didn't had a ton of CGI, it didn't had midichlorians. But it also didn't had a story. Or well it did, but we had seen that same story before. I had seen it probably ten times while I rewatched A New Hope.

I wasn't surprised when Han died (because of Kenobi's scene). I wasn't terrified when the Starkiller was introduced (because of the Death Star). I wasn't filled with joy when it was destroyed, because we have seen it before.

While I enjoyed it, I also enjoyed A Fistful of Dollars (which did the same thing to Yojimbo) or The Eye of the World (which was basically The Fellowship of the Ring). But, I was expecting some originality, and in this movie there was none. It was all the stuff of A New Hope getting recycled.

This movie had the exact same story as A New Hope. Just change the names of the characters (as in that picture) and you can see that the similarities are way more than using the same ingredients.

I enjoyed the movie. It was well executed and had good acting. It didn't have many pathetic dialogues, it didn't had a ton of CGI, it didn't had midichlorians. But it also didn't had a story. Or well it did, but we had seen that same story before. I had seen it probably ten times while I rewatched A New Hope.

I wasn't surprised when Han died (because of Kenobi's scene). I wasn't terrified when the Starkiller was introduced (because of the Death Star). I wasn't filled with joy when it was destroyed, because we have seen it before.

While I enjoyed it, I also enjoyed A Fistful of Dollars (which did the same thing to Yojimbo) or The Eye of the World (which was basically The Fellowship of the Ring). But, I was expecting some originality, and in this movie there was none. It was all the stuff of A New Hope getting recycled.

Yeah, we are not gonna agree on this at all.

The central goal of ANH becomes destroying the Death Star, whereas TFA's central goal is finding Luke. So they're both quest movies, to some extent, that take a young person on a Hero's Journey, but the actual plot, the details, and the characters are all different. 

Starkiller base was only a secondary issue for the plot.

The central goal of ANH becomes destroying the Death Star, whereas TFA's central goal is finding Luke. So they're both quest movies, to some extent, that take a young person on a Hero's Journey, but the actual plot, the details, and the characters are all different. 

Starkiller base was only a secondary issue for the plot.

Well, the first part of A New Hope is centered around finding and saving Leia, while only late in the movie it becomes about the Death Star.

Like here, it started with finding Luke but in the end it was about saving Rey and destroying the starkiller.

Shame than Han isn't a force user, because we would have seen his ghost saying to Ray that 'you should go to [insert name] system to find a great warrior'.

Archived